Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: The BJJ Thread

got to train with tim kennedy and a couple other guys he brought along last night. one of them was andrew craig, who is fighting chris leben at UFC 162. he has UFC wins over kyle noke and rafael natal. he and i rolled for 7-8 rounds together and stalemated a lot. it was a good night.

and then tim beat the every loving piss out of me before giving me a few pointers on my omoplata sweep
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by Repenter View Post
    got to train with tim kennedy and a couple other guys he brought along last night. one of them was andrew craig, who is fighting chris leben at UFC 162. he has UFC wins over kyle noke and rafael natal. he and i rolled for 7-8 rounds together and stalemated a lot. it was a good night.

and then tim beat the every loving piss out of me before giving me a few pointers on my omoplata sweep
    That sounds awesome and scary all in one moment. I remember picking noke to beat Craig and then watching him maul the ever loving shit out of noke. I think leben might be in for a long night.

At our open I watched a blue belt work on a sweep. They said it is catching fire bc one guy was rocking it. It starts in guard wit bottom guy in butterfly I think. The guy the inverts while going around the back and holding the belt and takes the guys back. Pretty bad ass move! Might not have explained it well. Anyone seen it?

I am getting back in shape. Running morning and night and hitting classes. The month of July I won't be teaching so I can hit day classes! Got a guy in an arm triangle yesterday. Forgot to walk left to get to a 90 and just tried to muscle it. Won't make that mistake again.

I was shocked how easily I was taking his back and gaining position. It's reaffirming of all the time I've spent rolling over the past six years. And a good thing we didn't start standing up...
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

I haven't been on the board much of late, but I've been training pretty hard, and I've really hit a stride as of late.

I've developed a really active guard and feel quite comfortable on my back now. I'm not necessarily triangling and armbarring guys left right and centre, but I've been working hard on setting up sweeps from De La Riva, setting up scrambles, and keeping my opponent off balance and uncomfortable in my guard.

I've got a couple of weeks to kill now before starting a teacher training course, so I'll be training almost every day. Can't wait

How's training/competing been for you guys?

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    I hope to be in BJJ in a year!

My physician told me to stop jogging and keep doing yoga and weight-lifting.
    Weight lifting? Do you squat? Do you do leg extensions on the machine? The reason I ask is because I tore mine doing leg extensions. I kept lifting the rest of the year until it bothered me so much I had to get an MRI. I think that actually made it worse...so be careful. If I was doing squats, make sure you don't go past parallel and if you do leg extensions, I would do reverse leg extension with a band instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I haven't been on the board much of late, but I've been training pretty hard, and I've really hit a stride as of late.

I've developed a really active guard and feel quite comfortable on my back now. I'm not necessarily triangling and armbarring guys left right and centre, but I've been working hard on setting up sweeps from De La Riva, setting up scrambles, and keeping my opponent off balance and uncomfortable in my guard.

I've got a couple of weeks to kill now before starting a teacher training course, so I'll be training almost every day. Can't wait

How's training/competing been for you guys?
    My training is steadily going. Just putting in my time at the bottom. De La Riva is pretty nice. I haven't messed with it much because I want to focus on my sweeps and defense, etc...before worrying too much with my guard. I don't have a lot of success stories lately. I rolled with a 4 stripe purple that pretty much took me to school the other night though....haha!! It seems like every 20 seconds I was like "what was that? How did you get me there?" It was fun though.

My step son wants me to compete with him in a NAGA event in November, so that may happen. I don't know....don't want to embarrass myself
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

Tn, don't worry about the Naga. You will do fine in your division. I did it and it was ok.

I am now back at school so my training is in a depression, as is myself. I want to go, but then say fuck it at the last minute. Haven't been in two weeks, since I added a stripe. Just need to say "fuck it" and go. I am also moving next Monday. Same town different house, but that has my attention. Plus I got two whipper snappers.

I like De la riva. When I was going strong a couple of weeks ago I was really working on arm drags from guard and passing with shelving a leg from top guard (I might have made up terms, fuck it I'm tired) Hopefully my motivation regains itself.

Quote Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
    Weight lifting? Do you squat? Do you do leg extensions on the machine? The reason I ask is because I tore mine doing leg extensions. I kept lifting the rest of the year until it bothered me so much I had to get an MRI. I think that actually made it worse...so be careful. If I was doing squats, make sure you don't go past parallel and if you do leg extensions, I would do reverse leg extension with a band instead.
    No. I can't squat heavy weights with my knee being as it is. I do Kettlebell squats with my 35 lb KB though.

Just reaggravated the knee and am hobbling around at the moment. Hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    No. I can't squat heavy weights with my knee being as it is. I do Kettlebell squats with my 35 lb KB though.

Just reaggravated the knee and am hobbling around at the moment. Hahaha.
    I feel you on that one man. I went through that all last year. I would also invest in some knee sleeves if you don't have any. They really keep the warmth in the knee to keep everything loose. I wear them religiously now. I even wear the one on my knee that had surgery in my MMA training. Good luck man! I hope everything works out okay on that knee
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Tn, don't worry about the Naga. You will do fine in your division. I did it and it was ok.

I am now back at school so my training is in a depression, as is myself. I want to go, but then say fuck it at the last minute. Haven't been in two weeks, since I added a stripe. Just need to say "fuck it" and go. I am also moving next Monday. Same town different house, but that has my attention. Plus I got two whipper snappers.

I like De la riva. When I was going strong a couple of weeks ago I was really working on arm drags from guard and passing with shelving a leg from top guard (I might have made up terms, fuck it I'm tired) Hopefully my motivation regains itself.
    Probably right. The only thing I was thinking about was not having enough old men competing in my division and ending up with the young Bravo and Irvin prodigies that are straight out of the military....haha!

I like the guard too but I haven't messed with it much. There is a nice transition to back from De La Riva that I like though.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz

Quote Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
    Probably right. The only thing I was thinking about was not having enough old men competing in my division and ending up with the young Bravo and Irvin prodigies that are straight out of the military....haha!

I like the guard too but I haven't messed with it much. There is a nice transition to back from De La Riva that I like though.
    Yeah you are right about the not enough old person thing. I was in the same boat. I did fine in gi, but got raped in no gi by a guy who looked like he was on prison release for the tournament. No gi definitely had more of the young bucks and with gi you can negate some of that pure athletisim.

Thread Information