Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The BJJ Thread

Default The BJJ Thread

Credit to MizJudozou for coming up with the idea to make this thread. I'm sure there are quite a few guys and girls that train in BJJ (and maybe a couple of Judo players too), and a thread like this could be great for guys looking for advice, or if people want to share their thoughts on training sessions, techniques, supplements that help, drills, warm-ups, etc, etc.

Feel free to start posting!

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Ok fellas (and ladies) I am back. I have taken about two months off training with a broken lazy bone, but I am now back. Actually I had another baby and have just been chillaxin. I wen to a no-gi class last night and it feels great to be back. I rolled three times at the end of class and only got tapped four times, which is low considering one of they guys I went against is good. Plust that is what I get for being so lazy for so long.

So I don't know the name of the technique we worked last night, but it was a sweep from half guard. Starting on bottom in half guard you get on your right side, hook your left leg in opponents right leg/groin area, swim in and catch left leg while putting your head against the opponents hip...

here is the tricky part your hips roll back to the left, forcing your opponent over you. Now we practiced two different things. First we practiced pushing the opponents right leg out forcing them off balance. You do this by bringing your right leg over your left leg and pushing out. Then you bring your right foot down and post with your left hand, back out while holding the leg (shing) to your ear. Drag them down to the mat and take back.

The second variation was if you couldn't off balance them by taking their leg out then you bring your left leg down and sweep them by kicking your left foot into their ankle while bringing your right foot and body back against them to take them to the mat. You then swim under the leg and take side mount.

Probably to hard to visualize without a video. I will search for one. It feels good to be "back in the saddle."

Quote Originally Posted by MIZJUDOZOU View Post
    Ok fellas (and ladies) I am back. I have taken about two months off training with a broken lazy bone, but I am now back. Actually I had another baby and have just been chillaxin. I wen to a no-gi class last night and it feels great to be back. I rolled three times at the end of class and only got tapped four times, which is low considering one of they guys I went against is good. Plust that is what I get for being so lazy for so long.

So I don't know the name of the technique we worked last night, but it was a sweep from half guard. Starting on bottom in half guard you get on your right side, hook your left leg in opponents right leg/groin area, swim in and catch left leg while putting your head against the opponents hip...

here is the tricky part your hips roll back to the left, forcing your opponent over you. Now we practiced two different things. First we practiced pushing the opponents right leg out forcing them off balance. You do this by bringing your right leg over your left leg and pushing out. Then you bring your right foot down and post with your left hand, back out while holding the leg (shing) to your ear. Drag them down to the mat and take back.

The second variation was if you couldn't off balance them by taking their leg out then you bring your left leg down and sweep them by kicking your left foot into their ankle while bringing your right foot and body back against them to take them to the mat. You then swim under the leg and take side mount.

Probably to hard to visualize without a video. I will search for one. It feels good to be "back in the saddle."
    For getting him off balance. If you are in your right side, and you hooked your leg (assuming you meant foot) in their groin area/right leg. How are you supposed to bring your right leg OVER your left leg, if your right leg would be your bottom leg/underneath their hips and hooked around their right leg? Putting your right leg over your left leg(which is still hooked in their groin) and then turning to your left hip sounds semi impossible in terns of getting them off balance. I got jujitsu tonight so I'll test this out before practice n see if I can duplicate what you said.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    For getting him off balance. If you are in your right side, and you hooked your leg (assuming you meant foot) in their groin area/right leg. How are you supposed to bring your right leg OVER your left leg, if your right leg would be your bottom leg/underneath their hips and hooked around their right leg? Putting your right leg over your left leg(which is still hooked in their groin) and then turning to your left hip sounds semi impossible in terns of getting them off balance. I got jujitsu tonight so I'll test this out before practice n see if I can duplicate what you said.
    CT I tried to find a video but can't find one. I will ask the name of it when I go to next class (I was about 10 minutes late to class and jumped in while they were doing the technique).

It is from the half guard. You start on your right side (z guard). Swim under and hook right leg. Throw hips back to your left to sweep. Opponent gets themselve stopped. You move your right leg to on top of your left leg that is controlling their right leg. You push their right leg out to off balance them. Then you scoot out, take their left leg, and take them down, and take their back.

I know shitty description, but I will find out the exact terminology next class.

Considering I can only make one class a week (sometimes two) because of work, taking 3 weeks off is a pretty big deal, and it would take me a while to refresh my memory. But, my school has started 7 til 8am classes called "BJJ before work" which I'll be going to twice a week (with one of those being no-Gi) alongside my normal evening class. Hopefully I'll improve much quicker this way, so I'll keep everyone updated!

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier

0-1 on sig bets.

I have been working out very hard to try and get back in shape (running and BJJ).

I bruised my ribs last Tuesday, but decided I should harden the fuck up and go to my open on Thursday. Amazingly I felt no pain once the class started, and have had no bad repercussions.

Moral for me is: when I have a slight injury I might as well get on the horse and keep riding.

I am really trying to get better on my guard and half-guard. I am not very good with sweeps, so I have putting myself in these positions to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZJUDOZOU View Post
    I have been working out very hard to try and get back in shape (running and BJJ).

I bruised my ribs last Tuesday, but decided I should harden the fuck up and go to my open on Thursday. Amazingly I felt no pain once the class started, and have had no bad repercussions.

Moral for me is: when I have a slight injury I might as well get on the horse and keep riding.

I am really trying to get better on my guard and half-guard. I am not very good with sweeps, so I have putting myself in these positions to get better.
    Hey man, hope your ribs are better now. I went to training last night and got exactly the same injury; we were working on different kinds of side control and my partner was much bigger and I got a sharp pain in my ribs about 20mins in to the lesson that just wouldn't shift. But, rather than taking today's morning class off (7-8am) I took your advice and sucked it up and went to class. Just the same as you, the pain went away as soon as class started. Thanks for that bro!

I nearly had a big breakthrough at today's class - I was rolling with the guy that choked me twice a few weeks back, and was adament that the same thing wouldn't happen again. He had me in side control but I managed to sneak out and get his back. I worked to get the hooks in and managed to get them both in pretty deep. I tried to stretch him out but he managed to peel my legs out. At this point I thought I'd give a body triangle a try (not something we've been taught but something I was confident I could do after watching some vids on lockflow). I locked in the triangle and managed to snap on a rear naked. I was over the moon because with the body triangle on, I knew I had him. He raised his hand ready to tap before my teacher shouted 'TIME' and so we all broke.

Five seconds more and I would have got my first tap in live sparring, and to make it all the more sweet, it would have been against a guy that choked me twice, and by the same technique, which would have been quite satisfying.

Not got my first sub yet (officially), but I'll update you when I do!

0-1 on sig bets.

Awesome Dan. Sounds like you had it sunk in pretty well. Great to hear you are making great progress.

I need to watch those vids on "lockflow". Where did you see them? Almost every time I go for the body triangle, when I take someones back, i end up getting on their side and they reverse it and I end up in bottom guard. I am glad you spoke about that, so I can ask my instructor (or higher belts) what I am doing wrong. Anyone here know?

I am off summer school (I teach public school) so I am now not only back in bjj, but I also started going back to judo (my original home). I am sore as shit from getting my ass thrown a bunch on Thursday, but the ribs feel great. Looking forward to really improving both my games.

Thanks a lot man, it definitely motivated me because it confirmed to me that I have improved. The video I watched on Lockflow (MMA News and Techniques | Lockflow.com) has actually been removed I'm afraid, but there are loads on YouTube and I find them to be really helpful, I've picked up a couple of great techniques on there that I can't wait to try. One in particular is the no-arm triangle: Critical BJJ Technique - No Arm Triangle | MMA Everything. I'd never seen this technique and I will hopefully be able to catch a guy with it because he won't see it coming, but also as the guys I'm rolling with are also white belts it's unlikely they'll know how to effectively defend against it.

I think, to be honest, that is part of the reason why I was able to sink in the body triangle, the guy I was rolling with was concerned with defending the choke so didn't see the triangle coming.

That's great that you've been able to get back in to training, I'm very jealous. I'm applying for PhD funding at the moment, and once I get that (whenever that may be) my time will be my own, so I'll be free to train much more too, and plan on stepping it up in a big way!

Good luck man, I'll let you know how tomorrow morning's session goes!

0-1 on sig bets.

We had a BJJ clinic yesterday from Kiko France. He is the black belt that gave our instructor his black belt. It was very cool to get to learn techniques from a guy who has world class bjj. Anyone else ever had the chance to train/do a seminar from someone who was great at their sport?

Most of the techniques were advance for me, but the opportunity to see where my bjj could go was awesome. It was also very cool to see how things chain together at a higher level to see what happens when you put together different techniques for a similar situation. Definitely worth the time and money.

Thread Information