Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 115

Thread: The BJJ Thread

  1. #11

    Default

    Ok guys haven't posted on this thread for a while. Been working my BJJ pretty hard. I am also coaching basketball so it is getting hard to get in for both. I am wanting cool vids if anyone has links. I like Marcello Garcia. I also like working a high guard, and not just my legs high, but one where i am close to having a triangle/armbar (watch first round of bart p's last fight).

    I was getting swept quite a bit when in halfguard (on top of course), but I think I solved this b/c I get relaxed on my underhooks. I need work on my guard, either opening up more, or attacking more, but i have to quit staying in closed guard and playing handsy. I am getting better with my sweeps.



    Anyone got some cool vids with good definition?

    Edit: in paragraph number 2 I said I solved this, but I still have problems when people have their knee in my side (from their half guard, while on their side in an offensive position).

  2. #12

    Default

    Bump!

    I would love to get some of the other BJJ guys on this site to post in this. I know FG, Crisco, CT, Danc, are some of you.

    Anyone got cool vids. I like Marcelo Garcia. Anyone got good sites for techniques.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,030

    Default

    Arthur would hook you up good.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Arthur would hook you up good.
    Is Arthur the kid inside?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Ok guys haven't posted on this thread for a while. Been working my BJJ pretty hard. I am also coaching basketball so it is getting hard to get in for both. I am wanting cool vids if anyone has links. I like Marcello Garcia. I also like working a high guard, and not just my legs high, but one where i am close to having a triangle/armbar (watch first round of bart p's last fight).

    I was getting swept quite a bit when in halfguard (on top of course), but I think I solved this b/c I get relaxed on my underhooks. I need work on my guard, either opening up more, or attacking more, but i have to quit staying in closed guard and playing handsy. I am getting better with my sweeps.

    Anyone got some cool vids with good definition?

    Edit: in paragraph number 2 I said I solved this, but I still have problems when people have their knee in my side (from their half guard, while on their side in an offensive position).
    Hey Miz, I meant to post on this last week but was really busy with work. Good to hear your half guard is working more now and feels stronger, I have exactly the same issue, and still feel quite vulnerable to sweeps in half guard. I'm one of the smaller guys in the gym, so most guys can power out of it, and I don't have a strong enough base to hold the position for long at the moment.

    In one class last week we had the sparring set up so that the five blue, purple, or brown belts that were in the class would do rounds with the 11 white belts, and would do 'winner stays on'. Needless to say, the non-white belts didn't lose a single round, but one dude impressed me a lot in particular.

    This guy is 5"1', around 40, maybe a natural 135 pounder (although I don't know what he competes at in BJJ), bald-headed and bearded, and a purple belt. He's ginger haired, so kinda Irish looking.

    Anyway, I sparred with this guy and he talks the entire way through it (he does it with every guy... he just does not stop talking), and I managed to pass his guard (although I'm pretty sure he gave me the pass) and was in his half-guard. He's saying "Oh there we go, you just passed my guard. But, the thing is, what if I said to you that I actually like this position? Would it surprise you?".

    This guy then hits an "electric chair" (its a hip crank) submission on me. I tapped almost immediately it was so tight. It felt like my balls were gonna split haha!

    As for videos, I like Garcia too, I like his fluidity and flexibility. I also like watching Eddie Bravo's stuff, because he has a lot of unusual techniques that I find work in the gym because they aren't necessarily taught in some gyms, you're able to catch guys out with things they don't see coming.

    Check out the electric chair, I can't wait to start trying to work it into my game.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pegu58bFyM
    Last edited by Dan; 11-04-2012 at 03:43 PM.


    Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

    0-1 on sig bets.

  6. #16

    Default

    Thanks Dan. I like that video. I will try that out next week.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area.
    Posts
    13,335

    Default

    Sunday morning No-Gi is awesome because 80% of my training partners are hungover or still semi-drunk from the Saturday night and puking in the shower and it's always a breeze of a class. Not to be TOO much of a sadist, but I don't go for subs nearly as fast as I do say, on a Tuesday night, because I know they're dragging ass, so I'll sink hooks in from the top mount and just slowly turn the screws.

    Fun stuff.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Sunday morning No-Gi is awesome because 80% of my training partners are hungover or still semi-drunk from the Saturday night and puking in the shower and it's always a breeze of a class. Not to be TOO much of a sadist, but I don't go for subs nearly as fast as I do say, on a Tuesday night, because I know they're dragging ass, so I'll sink hooks in from the top mount and just slowly turn the screws.

    Fun stuff.
    Now that is great f'ing stuff.

    Ever had anyone puke on you?

    I was in mount (about a week and a half ago) and was sitting on the person with my left foot in their ear thinking arm or triangle. I went arm and accidentally let out a super fart. Still tapped them but it was a shameful submission.

    Do you compete FG?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area.
    Posts
    13,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Now that is great f'ing stuff.

    Ever had anyone puke on you?

    I was in mount (about a week and a half ago) and was sitting on the person with my left foot in their ear thinking arm or triangle. I went arm and accidentally let out a super fart. Still tapped them but it was a shameful submission.

    Do you compete FG?
    Never got puke on me, most scurry away and we've got a trusty bucket for emergencies.

    Started doing No Gi more now than I used to, find it alot more comfortable to the Gi, but also find that what I do is more freestyle/catch wrestling as opposed to BJJ, which I've got to stop relying on if I want to improve my technique(which is still darn good if I may say).

    Don't really have time to do competitions. I went to a big one about a year ago as a spectator for my teammates and was really shocked to see what the guys at HW looked like from a certain BIG NAME MMA camp in Toronto. Let's just say, there's no way AT ALL the could've pissed clean(as there are alot of rumours about this particular camp around here) and they were blown up after the first round in puking in the streets. It was fucking ridiculous.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Never got puke on me, most scurry away and we've got a trusty bucket for emergencies.

    Started doing No Gi more now than I used to, find it alot more comfortable to the Gi, but also find that what I do is more freestyle/catch wrestling as opposed to BJJ, which I've got to stop relying on if I want to improve my technique(which is still darn good if I may say).

    Don't really have time to do competitions. I went to a big one about a year ago as a spectator for my teammates and was really shocked to see what the guys at HW looked like from a certain BIG NAME MMA camp in Toronto. Let's just say, there's no way AT ALL the could've pissed clean(as there are alot of rumours about this particular camp around here) and they were blown up after the first round in puking in the streets. It was fucking ridiculous.
    Hahaha, wish we had thought of the bucket at my school, because the mats were honking this week after one of the brown belts brought his boots up! I wasn't there to see it, but had the pleasure of rolling around on the mats after he'd left.

    We don't get the chance to do that much no-gi training at my school, but I'd really like to get some experience pretty soon. I'm not a strong dude, so lots of the gi-dependent techniques (gi chokes etc.) are difficult for me to set-up, even from top position, and I've been incorporating a few of Eddie Bravo's techniques into my game recently, so it would be good to see how I fare against guys who focus mainly on gi-BJJ but are just in a rash guard.

    This week I was drilling and sparring with a dude my size (5"10, 150lbs - most guys at my gym are around 180+) who has trained no-gi for around 9 months before moving to our school, where he has trained in the gi for the past 6. I've been training for around 7 months, so he's much more experienced than me.

    I have flexible legs, so lots of rubber guard techniques work nicely for me, and as I don't have good arm strength, I'm able to use my legs as kind of back-up weapons. This week I managed to stall my opponent in my guard nearly every time, using rubber guard and then moving to crackhead control.

    I then gave this a go - Bravo calls it the gag reflex - Gag Reflex from Crack Head Control - YouTube - and it worked a treat. It took me a while to position my hand and arm correctly to get the submission, and i kind of had to fiddle around re-positioning and pushing my fist in further to apply the correct pressure, but it worked, and I'm chuffed!

    Hows training been for you guys?


    Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

    0-1 on sig bets.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •