Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The BJJ Thread

So, I went back to BJJ for the first time in about two months. I have been off because of laziness and I am a basketball coach. At the end of class I took it easy on our first live roll. Then the second five minute roll came and I was absolutely spent. Then on the third a new guy got me in an arm bar. I fought it for half a sec and then he through his hips in it like we were going for a NAGA belt. Holy shit I let out a verbal tap like nobodies business. Arm bent back and I am gonna be sore, but all be damned it felt good to get back on the horse!

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    So, I went back to BJJ for the first time in about two months. I have been off because of laziness and I am a basketball coach. At the end of class I took it easy on our first live roll. Then the second five minute roll came and I was absolutely spent. Then on the third a new guy got me in an arm bar. I fought it for half a sec and then he through his hips in it like we were going for a NAGA belt. Holy shit I let out a verbal tap like nobodies business. Arm bent back and I am gonna be sore, but all be damned it felt good to get back on the horse!
    Good on you Miz! I've been off training for around 5 weeks now (got a pretty nasty virus before Xmas, then a chest infection straight after!), but will be back on it from the New Year.
    Ouch, sounds painful! Hope you haven't injured your arm, because I know how frustrating it is to not be able to train just when you're on a real motivational roll.

On Christmas Day, me and my brother (he's 26, I'm 23) decided to have a grappling match. It's been probably close to a decade since we had a good scrap, and I think I had quite a lot to prove haha! He was teasing me about jiu-jitsu saying "Rolling around with blokes will not make you a killer, it'll make you gay" and was winding me up saying it would be useless... Challenge accepted.

I was always on the rough end of a beating whenever we used to fight, and now he has even more of a size advantage (he's put on a lot of muscle mass, and I've lost a lot of weight), so I had to bring my A-Game!

He's very long and rangey and was shirtless (it sounds much more homo-erotic than it was - he always been shirtless when he's in the house, ever since we were little) so he was a nightmare to get hold of and control, and he did a good job of avoiding takedown attempts for a good few minutes, saying "I know what you're trying to do, but it's not happening".

When I finally managed to get hold of him, I jumped guard, let him try and pass my guard, and snuck out the back door and took his back.
    I wanted to finish with my favourite finish - a rear-naked with body triangle - but he was actually defending it really well and I couldn't get the body triangle on. He started to turn towards me and was offering his arm for an armbar... so I took it. Boom! My first EVER victory over my brother in a fight, and it only took 23 years.

Funny thing is, I actually feel guilty!

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Good shit Dan. I know how your brother feels. I am the oldest and my brothers are both athletic. We usually wait till summer to wrestle. My brother has one of those above ground pools and we have some special rules. I am ten years your elder, so getting to old to all out fight without a mat, ha! I bet your brother goes and takes some classes in BJJ secretly to get you next year.

I think my arm is good to go. It felt great to get back in the saddle. I have about three more weeks of basketball and then I can dedicate myself to three bjj classes.

I really want to compete in a NAGA bjj event this year. I have competed Judo, but never BJJ. Have you competed yet? I will want to get to 160 before I do. This is my goal for this year.

Good shit Dan. I know how your brother feels. I am the oldest and my brothers are both athletic. We usually wait till summer to wrestle. My brother has one of those above ground pools and we have some special rules. I am ten years your elder, so getting to old to all out fight without a mat, ha! I bet your brother goes and takes some classes in BJJ secretly to get you next year.

I think my arm is good to go. It felt great to get back in the saddle. I have about three more weeks of basketball and then I can dedicate myself to three bjj classes.

I really want to compete in a NAGA bjj event this year. I have competed Judo, but never BJJ. Have you competed yet? I will want to get to 160 before I do. This is my goal for this year.
    Naga's are a lot of fun. Depending on where you live they can get very crowded. It's an all day affair for sure.

Okay so I've been hitting the school hard this week, with a technique session on Thursday night, again on Friday, a conditioning session Saturday morning, followed by a sparring session straight after conditioning. Oh man I'm paying for it now, I ache all over... but it's nothing a bottle of wine won't fix.

These were my first sessions in around a month (I had a horrible virus/chest infection over Christmas), and man they were tough. Not a great week to be honest! We worked on clock chokes when our opponent is in the turtle (Hannette Staack - Clock Choke Details - BJJ Weekly #083 - YouTube - Skip to 2mins in) on Thursday and I felt like I was really nailing them, I had my grip really deep and didn't have to rotate much to get the tap in drills.

However, when we drilled them again on Friday I'm not sure what had changed but my partner (who was the same form Thursday) said that something was off and it was more of a crank than a choke.

I asked my teacher what was going wrong, and he said this was down to being in the wrong position on the back, and said I needed to move forward so that my head is almost touching the floor, but it didn't seem to make much difference. If anybody has any tips of this one I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Anyway, sparring didn't go too well (I didn't get one tap!) as all of the guys were either higher belts, or much closer to blue than I am, but hey, you win or you learn!

I'm quite a smallish guy - 5"10 and around 145-150lbs (when it isn't just after Christmas) and try to use my leg flexibility to my advantage (can get both behind my head) but I'd like to improve my mobility on the bottom a lot more. One guy I train with is around 5"7 and 135 at most and he's so fluid on the ground, he's constantly doing side-rolls and shrimps out of almost any position it seems. Are there are any exercises to do to improve this explosiveness, other than practicing just shrimps and siderolls?

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier

0-1 on sig bets.

I enjoyed the clock choke video. I have never tried that one. I usually try to take the back or turn the person over to get into side control. I will try that one next open (free roll). I have not seen us practice that, so I might be able to get it unexpectedly on someone.

However, when we drilled them again on Friday I'm not sure what had changed but my partner (who was the same form Thursday) said that something was of
    Were your hands in deep enough on the collar? I know when I have learned collar chokes from the guard you really have to open that initial collar up to get your hand in deep so that the "knife" of where your thumb meets your wrist is on their carotid artery. I did not see that Hannette keep turning either when her hips came through? Do you have to walk to the left if you are on their right?

Are there are any exercises to do to improve this explosiveness, other than practicing just shrimps and siderolls?
    Do you have a heavy bag (punching bag)? If you have a big heavy bag I like to put it on top of myself and shrimp it off. I like to get my knee in between us and push at the opportune time when they don't have all their wait on me to regain full guard. I also like to run with a kettle ball for I feel it keeps my core really tight.

Here is something I have been working on. I really like getting into north south position. I watched this Marcello Garcia video. I wasn't having much success with it, but a higher belt showed me to not only turn my shoulder down into the choke but also walk and towards the choke a little. Here is the video.

i helped a new guy in town train a bit for an upcoming fight this morning. he kept throwing up a high underhook to get up every time i took side control, so i ended up d'arcing him 6 times. gotta learn, son!
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by Repenter View Post
    i helped a new guy in town train a bit for an upcoming fight this morning. he kept throwing up a high underhook to get up every time i took side control, so i ended up d'arcing him 6 times. gotta learn, son!
    Hahah I'll definitely be sure to try and not make that mistake, because I know I'm very sloppy with getting my underhook positioning right, cheers for the heads up on what I'm leaving myself open for!

I enjoyed the clock choke video. I have never tried that one. I usually try to take the back or turn the person over to get into side control. I will try that one next open (free roll). I have not seen us practice that, so I might be able to get it unexpectedly on someone.
    Yeah man, I really like that choke, it's quite easy to set-up, it just seems like there's a few details I'm missing that aren't making it as effective. My teacher is a blackbelt under Eduardo Telles, so he has a whole load of tricks when it comes to the turtle positioning, both riding the turtle, and when you're in the turtle. I'd definitely recommend checking some Telles videos out, he's a crafty dude - eduardo telles - YouTube

Were your hands in deep enough on the collar? I know when I have learned collar chokes from the guard you really have to open that initial collar up to get your hand in deep so that the "knife" of where your thumb meets your wrist is on their carotid artery. I did not see that Hannette keep turning either when her hips came through? Do you have to walk to the left if you are on their right?
    I first thought that my grip wasn't deep enough, and I was opening the collar up, but I think that it might have been the positioning of my hand, maybe I'm turning my hand?
    Yeah you walk to the left when you're on their right, and at the moment I'm finding I have to walk quite far, whereas when I see other dudes do it they're only having to walk a little way before they get the tap. This does suggest that something isn't 'tight' enough, so I'll have to get somebody to look over my grip when I next do it.

Do you have a heavy bag (punching bag)? If you have a big heavy bag I like to put it on top of myself and shrimp it off. I like to get my knee in between us and push at the opportune time when they don't have all their wait on me to regain full guard. I also like to run with a kettle ball for I feel it keeps my core really tight.
    I don't have one just yet no, but now you've said it I think I am going to get one. I know you can also get those grappling dummies, so I think I'll pick one of those up so I can do some training at home. I do have a kettlebell but to be honest I don't really know any exercises to do with it. I'll have to have a look on YouTube, but I like your idea as well man I'll definitely do that. Thanks for that man!

Here is something I have been working on. I really like getting into north south position. I watched this Marcello Garcia video. I wasn't having much success with it, but a higher belt showed me to not only turn my shoulder down into the choke but also walk and towards the choke a little. Here is the video.
    Oh I like that a lot. I found the other day a couple of situations where I had side control and while I find it fairly easy to get to mount from side control (because my legs are very flexible - so I kind of surprise guys a little because I don't need to pull my toes over to get on top, I can kind of slink my foot over and keep it really close to my body and climb on) guys were obviously very aware that this is what I was looking for. However, I didn't want to move round to north-south because to be honest I have almost no attacks from that position because the north-south hadn't worked for me before, and I think that from watching this video it's because I wasn't dropping the shoulder or pinning my head like Marcelo.

I'm definitely going to look for that one at sparring next week man, I have training tonight but we don't always get a sparring part (it's a short session and it depends how many new guys are there), but if we do I'm going to look for that.

0-1 on sig bets.

Had a good open today. A guy from my club has an army combatives tourney next week, so he wanted to drill stand up grappling. Most people in BJJ don't want to drill this a lot (IMO), but me with my judo background loves this. He wanted me to pretend to be worried about a takedown so that I would just lock my arms out and put my feet backward. So myself and another guy who does Judo showed him how to fake with a foot sweep and then go in (and single or double leg, which I wouldn't do b/c I don't know how, b/c I do Judo but that is his game). We also worked on breaking grips and showed him how to do a double open grip (grabbing both wrists collars and going up to break grip) and then going in for the take down. It was fun b/c me and the other guy would go two minutes in then change guys to throw a new guy in and make him work.

Forgot how much stand up grappling is!

Had a good open today. A guy from my club has an army combatives tourney next week, so he wanted to drill stand up grappling. Most people in BJJ don't want to drill this a lot (IMO), but me with my judo background loves this. He wanted me to pretend to be worried about a takedown so that I would just lock my arms out and put my feet backward. So myself and another guy who does Judo showed him how to fake with a foot sweep and then go in (and single or double leg, which I wouldn't do b/c I don't know how, b/c I do Judo but that is his game). We also worked on breaking grips and showed him how to do a double open grip (grabbing both wrists collars and going up to break grip) and then going in for the take down. It was fun b/c me and the other guy would go two minutes in then change guys to throw a new guy in and make him work.

Forgot how much stand up grappling is!
    Awesome Miz, you must be a handy guy to have at the gym with your judo experience. I could have done with a few tips from you this week actually. I've only been able to train once this week (there's heavy snow here that stopped me training on Friday) but we were sparring from standing, and I felt pretty out of my depth as we've done so little drilling/sparring for takedowns.

Do you have any tips for nifty takedowns I can try out (to surprise some of the guys with in sparring) that maybe aren't too common or orthodox, but tend to work quite well?

We've got a judo black belt in our class (blue belt in BJJ) but I don't get much of a chance to roll with him, so if you have any tips that'd be great Miz!

0-1 on sig bets.

Thread Information