Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White Puts NSAC On Blast After Controversial Pacquiao vs. Bradley Decision

1. Default

Timothy Bradley Attends Conference In Wheelchair After Beating Pacquiao - Bloody Elbow

TImothy Bradley attended the post fight press conference of his biggest victory to date - a win over the pound for pound great Manny Pacquiao, in a wheelchair. Bradley reportedly damaged his foot during the fight and may have been fighting injured. This news further complicates the storm of controversy around the Bradley - Pacquiao meeting.

Kevin Iole

@KevinI
    According to Bradley manager Cameron Dunkin, x-rays show Bradley has a left foot fracture. No fracture on the right, just a lot of swelling
    10 Jun 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite

Reportedly Bradley felt his left foot break in the second round but fought on through the pain, only to injure his right foot in the fifth round.

This certainly makes his performance against one of the most dangerous punchers, and complete fighters in the world in Manny Pacquiao all the more impressive, but adds fuel to the fire of debate over the bout's result. It seems unlikely that a man with two injured feet, one fractured, would be able to put on a performance of such technical subtlety that only two of the three ringside judges could see it.
    Is Bob Arum Behind The Timothy Bradley Decision Win Over Manny Pacquiao? - Bloody Elbow

In trying to understand the inexplicable split decision win for Timothy Bradley over Manny Pacquiao last night the phrase "follow the money" keeps jumping into my head. I'm not scholar enough to know if that quote comes from Vladimir Lenin or Woodward and Bernstein, but I do know that where ever something fishy is going on involving millions of dollars that somebody is probably up to something and the most suspicious somebody is the one who stands to make the most money.

In the case of Pacquiao vs Bradley, that someone is Top Rank promoter Bob Arum who handles both fighters. Word is that Arum was likely to lose Pacquiao in 2013 but a Bradley win triggers a contractually mandated rematch that Arum will promote.

Arum talked to ESPN after the fight, was he crying crocodile tears?

"I've never been as ashamed of the sport of boxing as I am tonight.

"I'll make a lot of money off the rematch, but this was outrageous," he said.
    Here's what Scott Christ of Bad Left Hook has to say:

Well, here's the deal. Arum says he's concerned about the credibility of the sport, but whatever. The sport's credibility has probably been in the crapper for long enough at this point that it probably is more akin to a long-term floater than a fresh turd in the bowl.
    Also, Arum not only doesn't have to hear "Mayweather-Pacquiao" again for the rest of 2012, but he doesn't have to deal with that damned Juan Manuel Marquez and his demands and ego, either. He's got another Top Rank vs Top Rank fight for November. I'm not accusing him of anything. I'm saying as a promoter, he can't really be that unhappy with what's going down here. There's a lot of potential upside if they figure out the right approach.

ESPN's Teddy Atlas has the most in-depth and outrageous take on Arum's potential malfeasance, we'll hear from him after the jump.

From the video of Teddy Atlas laying out his theories (thanks to Bad Left Hook for transcribing):

"I'm not sure if it's accurate that Pacquiao was about to leave one of the kingpins of the sport, Bob Arum. His contract was running out. But I think it was. And when that happens, sometimes funny things happen. But the bottom line is, if you're an honest man, if you're a competent person that knows what he's watching, Pacquiao won that fight. Only one man won that fight. And, you know, he doesn't get the decision. It's an injustice to the sport, injustice to the fighters, injustice to the fanbase. It's one of the fallacies. It's one of the problems with the sport of boxing right now is that the wrong guy wins sometimes."

"I think I touched on it a moment ago, the possibility that he might not be signing up with the power broker, Bob Arum. I mean, look, the worst thing you can say about the sport is it's either corruption or incompetence. If it's incompetence, that should be corrected. That the judges that control the destiny of these fighters, fighters that leave a part of themselves in the ring quite often when they leave the ring, like Frazier and Ali did in those great, epic fights. There's less of themselves when they leave that ring. That's a great responsibility, to make sure you get it right as judges. And a lot of times, unfortunately, the judges, they just don't get it right. They don't know what they're watching. In this case again, they don't know what they're watching, at the very best. Which is a sad thing to say, that at the best they didn't know what they were watching, and at the worst they were influenced by other outside forces."
    I should note that not every outside observer thought it was a clear win for Pacquiao. Norm Frauenheim of the New York Times summed up the fight like this:

Bradley overcame Pacquiao's advantage in speed over the first six rounds with head-rocking power that eventually left Pacquiao, a Filipino congressman, looking tired and slow.
    The frustrating thing is this: barring a massive investigation we'll never know if there was corruption involved in the Timothy Bradley win over Manny Pacquiao but we will know that Bob Arum is crying all the way to the bank.
    Pacquiao vs Bradley results: Boxing is dead? Corrupt decision doesn't fool me - MMAmania.com

Let's get this out and in the open from jump street.

I didn't watch last night's fight between Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley.

After three straight weekends of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) events and a couple more to follow, I was needing a bit of a combat sports reprieve, and more than that, my lady friend would have likely killed me if I spent another evening in front of my laptop watching two guys beat the tar out of each other.

So the two of us had a date night, eating Chinese food, drinking whiskey and watching Stephen King's "IT." Spoiler alert: The Loser's Club kill Pennywise at the end.

I kept up with the fight through Twitter and midway through the 12-round bout, it looked like the Filipino champion was on his way to handily defeating Bradley, perhaps even stopping the challenger.

Consider my surprise when fellow Maniac Geno Mrosko messaged me to break the news Pacquiao had lost via split decision. My Twitter timeline -- and the entire social media network for that matter -- was flooded with outrage and claims boxing was finally, in fact, dead. Everyone from UFC President Dana White to Snoop Dogg and even reality show harlot Kim Kardashian weighed in on the subject.

If boxing is dead, why can't anybody stop talking about it?

Was the fight a robbery?

As mentioned earlier, I haven't watched the bout, but men smarter than myself when it comes to the sweet science all agree Pacquiao was on the business end of a screwjob so I will defer to them.

Bad decisions have always -- and grin and bear it, will always be -- part of combat sports. Mixed martial arts (MMA) fans see wonky decisions all the time and boxing, despite its longer and more storied history, isn't immune to the same chicanery.

Was the fix in?

If you watched the fight or not, there's no way to know this for certain. Sure, boxing fans slapped on their tinfoil hats almost immediately and began clacking on their keyboards, but people also believe the moon landing was staged and Elvis Presley is having Mai Tais with 2Pac on a desert island somewhere.

One thing is for certain, however, and it's no one can stop talking about this fight. Boxing isn't dead ... far from it. People still care about pugilism. That's evident from the outpouring of rage over last night's decision.

The rematch will be an excuse for Pacquiao's promoter Top Rank to print money. Pacquiao/Bradley II will do huge, insane business.

And just about everyone who swore off boxing last night will tune in, hoping to see "Pac Man" get the win they feel he should have gotten last night.

When something like this happens, it reminds me of how far the sport of MMA and the UFC have come and how much further it could go.

There wasn't this kind of outrage when Forrest Griffin bested Quinton Jackson or when Frankie Edgar took the Lightweight Championship off B.J. Penn. Not to upset any fellow MMA fans. but those were small potatoes compared to this. This is literally a cultural phenomenon. It's just about all anyone wants to talk or read about.

And I didn't even watch the fight.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

I think the winner in November will meet Floyd in 2013, and this loss will give Floyd more favorable terms.....aka more $$$.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

The phrase 'dirty boxing' has a whole new meaning now. Dana seems like a White Knight compared to Bob Arum.

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    The phrase 'dirty boxing' has a whole new meaning now. Dana seems like a White Knight compared to Bob Arum.
    He always was. Who are these people that are just now realizing Bob Arum is a piece of shit? What rock did they crawl out of?

I have nothing but utter disrespect for Pacquiao for continuing to feed millions to this lecherous corpse. The major American boxing circuits are rife with corruption and extortion. This is a reason why I was totally turned off boxing and switched to MMA.

What continues to infuriate me is that MMA puts money in the coffers of the reprehensible boxing commissions which has kept them afloat.

Bob Arum: MMA Is Nothing But Skinheads, Homosexuals

Bob Arum: MMA Is Nothing But Skinheads, Homosexuals

If boxing wants to win the war against MMA, you know what it needs more of? Grumpy old white guys willing to provide insulting, homophobic, possibly racist rants about its rival audience. Take it away, Bob Arum!

Just to explain what we're dealing with here, the 77-year-old boxing promoter held a press conference at Yankee Stadium today to announce a fight that's taking place in Las Vegas. So that gives you some insight into his living in the past mentality. Arum wants to bring fights back to the Bronx—but not if they involve Floyd Mayweather, who Arum thinks is not entertaining because he fights "scared." So that's a good start.

Then his one-on-one interview with Fanhouse's Ariel Helwani got really uncomfortable, when Helwani asked Arum about UFC and if its head-to-head matchup with the Mayweather-Marquez fight would hurt either pay-per-view haul.

For me, I look at the UFC audience and the boxing audience as being two different audiences entirely. Our audience in boxing is ethnic. Hispanic, Filipino, Puerto Rican, Mexican, and the hardcore boxing fan who can't watch ... like me ... can't watch UFC. UFC are a bunch of skinhead white guys watching people in the ring who also look like skinhead white guys.

Naturally, Helwani (a white guy!) took offense and tried to point out his feelings on the matter—but Arum helpfully set him straight.

And you don't have any tattoos. Ninety percent of the people in the audience wear tattoos. I don't care. That's up to them. But those aren't people that would have any interest, at any time, in boxing.

For me, and people like me, it is not something they ever care to see. They've watched it. It's horrible. Guys rolling around like homosexuals on the ground. It is not a sport that shows great, great talent.

And he says that like it's a bad thing! Arum went on to further explain how MMA is "garbarge and junk" and if you have any interest in it at all, you're probably garbage too. Oh, and UFC lies about their revenue figures. (But they're great businessmen! Some of his best friends are MMA promoters!) But Bob Arum's generation—and the Mexicans!—aren't buying it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yE_tsPatoBU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by Sniggles; 06-10-2012 at 05:12 PM.

I did not watch the fight and I am not sure that I want to.

Pacman got his ass beat and people naturally are butt hurt over it.... especially those that hate Mayweather

I think TrollDawg was behind this entire conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Pacman got his ass beat and people naturally are butt hurt over it.... especially those that hate Mayweather
    Really? Did you even watch the fight? Because I doubt it. At best Bradley won 3 rounds (1, 11 and 12) at worse he lost every round but the first one. Manny clearly won this fight and this was just a way for Arum to screw Manny before he left.

And I am not a Mayweather hater BTW. If Manny and Mayweather ever fought Mayweather would wipe the floor with him. I am just an angry boxing fan that won't ever tune into another fight.

At least in MMA if the fight decision is controversial it's because it was an actual close fight. Lets hope our sport never goes the way of boxing. For all you guys that hate the UFC you now see what happens when a million hands are in the cookie jar instead of one.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    Really? Did you even watch the fight? Because I doubt it. At best Bradley won 3 rounds (1, 11 and 12) at worse he lost every round but the first one. Manny clearly won this fight and this was just a way for Arum to screw Manny before he left.

And I am not a Mayweather hater BTW. If Manny and Mayweather ever fought Mayweather would wipe the floor with him. I am just an angry boxing fan that won't ever tune into another fight.

At least in MMA if the fight decision is controversial it's because it was an actual close fight. Lets hope our sport never goes the way of boxing. For all you guys that hate the UFC you now see what happens when a million hands are in the cookie jar instead of one.
    You are missing something in your equation.

Bradley is black.

Last edited by Sniggles; 06-10-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by subman View Post
    A couple hours before the fight, there was pretty big money put down on Bradley. The line moved substantially. I really hope there is an actual police investigation into this, but we are talking Vegas...
    Yup. Pretty fuckin fishy I must say...

I already had money on Pacman by decision at +122 odds from a bet I made Friday night, which were already very good odds, and it was up to about +155 by fight time...which is just crazy, everybody knew that Pacman by decision was the most likely outcome...

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Please leave this forum...you stupid fuck.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Thread Information