Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Protein Powder question

Default Protein Powder question

Over the last couple of years I've lost a fair bit of weight (I was over 215lbs, I now weight about 155lbs), and I've noticed that since losing the weight I've become much weaker than I was, and so I want to start some strength training.

I eat well and do a fair bit of exercise, most of which is cardio at the moment. I run a few times a week, swim one day, and train BJJ once or twice a week. I've noticed recently, however, that most of the other guys are stronger than me. So, I've decided alongside some strength training, I'd like to try protein powder to really get the most out of my workouts and diet.

I've always been a little wary of using protein powder, as a bunch of my mates have used them and really have bulked up, which isn't something I'm looking to do. I'm looking to get lean muscle and stay trim.

As for my question, I was wondering if anyone can give me any hints on what I should be looking for in a protein powder. I don't want to pack on any mass, as I am looking to compete at 141lbs in BJJ, so I want to keep my weight down if possible. Any tips or advice on this is really appreciated!

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

well, you should be consuming about 1 to 1-1/2 grams of protein per every lb of body weight. you need protein to sustain muscle mass and strength etc. Im on about a 4000 cal diet with 250 to 300 grams of protein daily. About 70-80% of your protein should come from food, the other 20-30% you can substitute with protein shakes. Whey would be the most important protein you should take. Whey is basically milk by-product. There is two different kinds: Isolate and Concentrate(or blend). Isolate is about 90% protein per gram where as Concentrate is about 78%. Isolate is much more expensive tho but better bang for the buck. Ofcourse if your like me and take 6 or so scoops a day the concentrate works just fine. Before bed you should take Casein protein (1 scoop). Casein protein is a slow-release protein and should sustain your body and prevent it from going catabolic during the 8 or so hours of sleep where you body is receiving no amino acid intake. Casein protein takes about 7 hours to fully be processed by your body and prevents muscle breakdown. As far as "bulking up" or whatnot, protein alone will not make you do that.
    As long as you maintain a lean diet your you will not put on needless fatty weight.

check out http://www.bodybuilding.com/ for product descriptions and reviews. Since you are not a serious body builder pretty much any whey or casein powder will suffice. let me know if ya need to know anything else.
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

Maybe try Hemp Protein powder? It's easier on your body and doesn't have as much protein per serving...and has solid nutritional benefits unlike most basic protein powders...alot of fiber.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Maybe try Hemp Protein powder? It's easier on your body and doesn't have as much protein per serving...and has solid nutritional benefits unlike most basic protein powders...alot of fiber.
    Hemp protein has a few things that whey doesnt, mostly fatty acids like omega 3, 6 and 9. Its also easier on the stomach and easier to digest due to its high fiber content. HOWEVER! it is incredibly expensive! (1lb is about 30$), actual protein content is very low! It should not be a substitute for whey protein!
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

Stay away from Whey or Caesin look for a hemp or pea protein!
    “I just want to be known as the greatest ever…is that too much to ask?”

B.J Penn

https://www.facebook.com/roy.billington1
    https://twitter.com/RoyBillington

Quote Originally Posted by Luc1an View Post
    Hemp protein has a few things that whey doesnt, mostly fatty acids like omega 3, 6 and 9. Its also easier on the stomach and easier to digest due to its high fiber content. HOWEVER! it is incredibly expensive! (1lb is about 30$), actual protein content is very low! It should not be a substitute for whey protein!
    He said he is not trying to bulk up alot...but it is only 11 or so grams per serving...but don't you think drinking Whey protein shakes every day will catch up to your body eventually? Maybe mix in a hemp shake here and a casein shake there?

Hemp also contains Magnesium and Iron.

^Pea Protein? Interesting...time to google that.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoose View Post
    Stay away from Whey or Caesin look for a hemp or pea protein!
    not sure where your getting your opinion from? ive been a competitive body builder for 5+ years and been working out since i was 19 (im 30 now). Ive been doing personal training and have been a dietician for the last 2 of those years. Both have all 8 BCAA and both are good for you, Hemp does have the added benefit of your essential fatty acids but we take seperate supplements for those. There is no alternative a clean, good brand, Whey Isolate Protein. And at about 50$ for 5lbs, it cannot be beat in price! As opposed to about 30$ per 1lb (on average) of Hemp protein, with very little actual protein per serving. In almost every case where hemp protein is used it is with an individual who is either lactose intolerant, lactose sensitive and or a vegan! If you want to maintain muscle mass and in turn burn fat, your body requires you to take at least 160 grams of protein a day 50 of which can be protein, which is about 2 scoops daily in your situation (based on your body weight). If you were to ONLY take Hemp protein as part of your every day diet, you would need approx. 5 scoops a day...
    Last edited by Luc1an; 06-26-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    He said he is not trying to bulk up alot...but it is only 11 or so grams per serving...but don't you think drinking Whey protein shakes every day will catch up to your body eventually? Maybe mix in a hemp shake here and a casein shake there?

Hemp also contains Magnesium and Iron.

^Pea Protein? Interesting...time to google that.
    yep i agree with you about mixing it in here and there.

for maintenance purposes you CONSUME 1 GRAM PER KILO GRAM of LEAN BODY MASS not a gram per pound...wow this ignorance keeps on spreading in the field...

for recovery you consume 4:4:1 lean body mass: carb : protein ratio. so if you're 175 and lean body mass of 160, you consume 40 grams of carbs and 10 grams of protein. that's it. no stupid nonsense about 30-40 grams of protein. it's not bio-available..this is from experience working with MMA fighters, triathletes, Olympic lifting hopefuls.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    for maintenance purposes you CONSUME 1 GRAM PER KILO GRAM of LEAN BODY MASS not a gram per pound...wow this ignorance keeps on spreading in the field...

for recovery you consume 4:4:1 lean body mass: carb : protein ratio. so if you're 175 and lean body mass of 160, you consume 40 grams of carbs and 10 grams of protein. that's it. no stupid nonsense about 30-40 grams of protein. it's not bio-available..this is from experience working with MMA fighters, triathletes, Olympic lifting hopefuls.
    ignorance? nah son, wanna compare physiques? anyway read this, please.

Bodybuilding.com - How Much Protein?

these are some of the guys i train with.
    http://www.bigronpartlow.com/
    http://bigtroybrown.blogspot.ca/

Thread Information