Hope Solo fails drug test; will still play in 2012 Olympic games - National US Headlines | Examiner.com

Monday, professional soccer player Hope Solo received a warning from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency stating that she tested positive for Canrenone; Hope Solo is an Olympic goalkeeper for the U.S. team.

Solo, 30, accepted the warning, and she will still play in the upcoming Olympic games in London.

Canrenone is a banned substance and Solo tested positive for the drug in a urine test she took June 15. Solo released a statement Monday saying that she was taking a prescribed drug that may have affected the results of the test.

"I took a medication prescribed by my personal doctor for pre-menstrual purposes that I did not know contained a diuretic," Solo said in a statement. "Once informed of this fact, I immediately cooperated with USADA and shared with them everything they needed to properly conclude that I made an honest mistake, and that the medication did not enhance my performance in any way."

"As someone who believes in clean sport, I am glad to have worked with USADA to resolve this matter and I look forward to representing my country at the 2012 Olympic Games in London," Solo said.

Solo has been a U.S. goal keeper for six years; the American team won the gold in 2008 in Beijing. Solo also appeared on the last season of "Dancing with The Stars."

If you enjoyed reading this article, please click on the subscribe button above to receive an email when new articles are published by this examiner.