Thread: Weight Cutting Advice

Default Weight Cutting Advice

As a few of you may know from other threads, I've been training BJJ for a few months now and I'm looking to compete some time in the next 6 months, just to see where I'm at, and to get some experience.

Also, in the last couple of years I've lost quite a lot of weight, going from about 215lbs to 155/159lbs (it varies). I'm now quite lean, but could still lose a little bit of fat. At my lightest I was 10stones 8 (148lbs) but have put a bit back on (as most people seem to).

Just looking at the stnadard BJJ weight classes, it appears like I could compete at featherweight (154lbs) or light feather (141lbs), and was wondering if anybody have advice for this.

I was just wondering if anybody have any experience of weight cutting, and whether it would be worth me cutting for BJJ where size isn't such an issue as it is in wrestling/MMA.

Should I cut, or stay at around 155?

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Cutting weight is always good for an edge as long as you don't destroy your body doing it. I could give you advice that would work, but it wouldn't be great for your health.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Cutting weight is always good for an edge as long as you don't destroy your body doing it. I could give you advice that would work, but it wouldn't be great for your health.
    Cool man, thanks for the response. I know that losing large amounts of weight is more deterimental to smaller guys because the loss is a higher percentage of their overall bodyweight, but is 14-19lbs too much to be using at around 145lbs, in your opinion? I plan on losing another 7lbs by exercise to get to around 149lbs, and the other 8 (ish) by cutting water.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier

0-1 on sig bets.

sounds like youve already maxed out on the weight cut.
    double layer clothes 10 minutes full speed sprints on a treadmill
    as hot as you can take it, water and babyoil in the bath tub, sit til the water becomes room temp. if you do this you will lose a couple pounds that day, easy. watch your diet. simple rule i follow, when the sun goes down stop eating.
    good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tapper View Post
    sounds like youve already maxed out on the weight cut.
    double layer clothes 10 minutes full speed sprints on a treadmill
    as hot as you can take it, water and babyoil in the bath tub, sit til the water becomes room temp. if you do this you will lose a couple pounds that day, easy. watch your diet. simple rule i follow, when the sun goes down stop eating.
    good luck.
    Nice one man, thanks a lot for the advice. I think I could definitely lose a fair bit more as I do still have some fat on me and am by no means ripped. I know lots of BJJ comps weigh in with the gi on, which could make reaching 141.5 a lot harder.

0-1 on sig bets.

When it comes to cutting weight I've concluded it's much more helpful to eat a very healthy high protein diet is more effective than starving yourself which I've also done. Eat a lot of grilled meats like grilled chicken, ribs, etc.

However you shouldn't cut that much past your ideal weight. Especially if like you said size isn't an issue a healthy diet will make you feel better sucking weight will make it worse.

However if your strength is overwhelming your opponent with strength and power than cutting makes more sense than if your greatest asset is speed as it doesn't make much sense to go and face lighter, quicker guys than those you've been facing.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 07-21-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    When it comes to cutting weight I've concluded it's much more helpful to eat a very healthy high protein diet is more effective than starving yourself which I've also done. Eat a lot of grilled meats like grilled chicken, ribs, etc.

However you shouldn't cut that much past your ideal weight. Especially if like you said size isn't an issue a healthy diet will make you feel better sucking weight will make it worse.

However if your strength is overwhelming your opponent with strength and power than cutting makes more sense than if your greatest asset is speed as it doesn't make much sense to go and face lighter, quicker guys than those you've been facing.
    Thanks so much for this post man, I think it's really helped me to see what's best, either cutting to 141.5, or sticking to 154. I think I'll stick where I am, because I'm really not the strongest of guys (I think I lost a lot of muscle when I lost weight) and I use my leg flexibility to my advantage, I quite like to look for attacks off my back and I'm not much of a strength-on-top guy, so cutting too much weight probably isn't that good of an idea.

I'll be competing for the first time probably towards the end of the year, so I'll just see how it goes at featherweight (154.5lbs), and if I think an extra weight cut would be to my advantage then maybe I'll give it a go getting down to light-feather (141.5lbs).

Thanks again!

0-1 on sig bets.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Cool man, thanks for the response. I know that losing large amounts of weight is more deterimental to smaller guys because the loss is a higher percentage of their overall bodyweight, but is 14-19lbs too much to be using at around 145lbs, in your opinion? I plan on losing another 7lbs by exercise to get to around 149lbs, and the other 8 (ish) by cutting water.
    Yeah you could do it, but it wouldn't be fun. Would you try to stay close to that weight or would it be more of an occasional just for competition extreme cut?

I used to wear trashbag suits and loads of sweat clothes to cut weight. I do not recommend it, but damn it works.

Thread Information