Thread: The future of MMA training

Default The future of MMA training

Effects of low level laser therapy (808 nm) on physical strength training in humans

Ferraresi C, de Brito Oliveira T, de Oliveira Zafalon L, de Menezes Reiff RB, Baldissera V, de Andrade Perez SE, Júnior EM, Parizotto NA.

Lasers Med Sci. 2010 Nov 18. [Epub ahead of print]

Recent studies have investigated whether low level laser therapy (LLLT) can optimize human muscle performance in physical exercise. This study tested the effect of LLLT on muscle performance in physical strength training in humans compared with strength training only. The study involved 36 men (20.8±2.2 years old), clinically healthy, with a beginner and/or moderate physical activity training pattern. The subjects were randomly distributed into three groups: TLG (training with LLLT), TG (training only) and CG (control). The training for TG and TLG subjects involved the leg-press exercise with a load equal to 80% of one repetition maximum (1RM) in the leg-press test over 12 consecutive weeks.

The LLLT was applied to the quadriceps muscle of both lower

limbs of the TLG subjects immediately after the end of each training session. Using an infrared laser device (808 nm) with six diodes of 60 mW each a total energy of 50.4 J of LLLT was administered over 140 s. Muscle strength was assessed using the 1RM leg-press test and the isokinetic dynamometer test. The muscle volume of the thigh of the dominant limb was assessed by thigh perimetry. The TLG subjects showed an increase of 55% in the 1RM leg-press test, which was significantly higher than the increases in the TG subjects (26%, P=0.033) and in the CG subjects (0.27%, P < 0.001).

The TLG was the only group to show an increase in muscle performance in the isokinetic dynamometry test compared with baseline. The increases in thigh perimeter in the TLG subjects and TG subjects were not significantly different (4.52% and 2.75%, respectively; P=0.775). Strength training associated with LLLT can increase muscle performance compared with strength training only.
    Effects of low level laser therapy (808 nm) on physical strength training in humans

Wonder what made the 16 year old Chinese girl outswim her male counterpart? The Chinese have been studying this for years and are in the forefront of this research. These lasers are already used to help heal muscular injuries but they can also be used to increase functional strength while reducing the possibility of injuries.

Makes me wonder if any fighters are using this.

Studies have shown up to 25% increase in muscle strength when used in a regimen after a training session.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 08-01-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Wow. I wonder how soon this is gonna take off and how the sports media will react to it (at least in the US)?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Wow. I wonder how soon this is gonna take off and how the sports media will react to it (at least in the US)?
    Less than a decade, I'd guess.

Reason why I even know about this is because my girlfriend's boss is successful in using laser treatments, some homeopathy combined with western medicine and acupuncture on animals. We were discussing this over dinner last week after I brought up how a 16 year old Chinese girl was able to preform as well as she did by beating her male counterparts in swimming.

It was quite an interesting conversation.

There are many gyms here using "red light" therapy which includes LLT which I believe works on the same premise only at a lower level.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    There are many gyms here using "red light" therapy which includes LLT which I believe works on the same premise only at a lower level.
    Awesome! I hadn't heard about that.

Thread Information