Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Georges St-Pierre Doesn’t Want to Fight Anderson Silva, “That’s a Fact,” Says White

Default Georges St-Pierre Doesn’t Want to Fight Anderson Silva, “That’s a Fact,” Says White

http://www.mmaweekly.com/georges-st-...ays-dana-white

“Georges St-Pierre would not even think about this fight because Anderson Silva isn’t going to win (against Chris Weidman), according to Georges St-Pierre,” said White following the UFC 162 pre-fight press conference on Thursday. But there’s more to the story.

When asked if he sensed St-Pierre doesn’t want the fight, White said, “There’s no doubt about it. That’s a fact.”

“St-Pierre had his chance to pronounce himself about fighting me and he didn’t do it,” said Silva on a recent media conference call.

White doesn’t hold it against St-Pierre for not wanting to go up a weight class to challenge Silva.

“At the end of the day he weighs 170 pounds. He’s a 170-pounder. If he weighed 185 pounds and felt that way I’d be real pissed,” said White. “I’m the man here at 170. If I thought I was the man at 185 I’d be at 185. I get it, but it’s a fight that a lot of fans want to see. It’s a big fight. It’s a legacy fight. It’s a fight for the pound-for-pound best in the world.”

While White gets it, he still doesn’t completely understand St-Pierre’s unwillingness to fight Silva.

“What’s crazy to me is GSP opted to take a very dangerous fight at 170 without trying to take a dangerous fight at 185,” he said.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/georges-st-...ays-dana-white“What’s crazy to me is GSP opted to take a very dangerous fight at 170 without trying to take a dangerous fight at 185,” he said.
    What is crazy about that? He's the champ at 170 he should be taking the fights at 170. Besides Silva would ruin him I think. Not a good fight to me.
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

As much as I love GSP I think Anderson would beat him. Most likely a tko within the early rounds. Would love to be wrong though.

George is in a lose/lose situation here. In one hand he has no business taking this fight and no reason to. He's a much smaller fighter and it's just a horrible match up. On the other hand if he doesn't take the fight he's going to have the critics busting his balls for avoiding the fight. The guy can't win.

Doesn't really matter anyway though. They probably won't even try to make the match after Weidman beats Silva and Hendricks beats GSP.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Dana's answer to these questions should be as follows, "Georges is our 170lb champion, his duty is to defend his 170lb belt. If Georges were to decide to fight at 185 he could vacate his belt and we would find him a fight at 185lbs. Eventually he may have enough wins at 185lbs to warrant a title shot. That is all. Next question."

When he gives these wishy washy answers all he does is undermine GSP's credibility.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

I don't care to see a champ get a shot at a higher weight class without at least somewhat earning it. I think if Silva can beat a top 5 LHW, then I would love to see him in a super fight with Jones. Same should go for all champs that might want a super fight in a higher weight class. Warm up fight, contender fight, super fight. Seems simple enough.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

GSP vs Silva is the fight everyone wants to see at Middleweight. why in the world would anyone in their right mind ruin a "champion vs champion" mega PPV? You can easily make the argument that GSP has "earned" a shot at the title, the same way you could make a case for Silva if he moved up to LHW. In any event I'm always leary of "super fights" they rarely live up to the hype.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

“What’s crazy to me is GSP opted to take a very dangerous fight at 170 without trying to take a dangerous fight at 185,” he said.
    IMO, you can't even really compare these two fight to each other, silva is on a whole other level of dangerous than Hendricks is

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    George is in a lose/lose situation here. In one hand he has no business taking this fight and no reason to. He's a much smaller fighter and it's just a horrible match up. On the other hand if he doesn't take the fight he's going to have the critics busting his balls for avoiding the fight. The guy can't win.

Doesn't really matter anyway though. They probably won't even try to make the match after Weidman beats Silva and Hendricks beats GSP.
    All points you just made are easily applicable to Silva fighting Jones yet fight fans are nutting up to see this fight materialize regardless. The perception I get is that people expect Silva to fight bigger opponents but GSP gets a pass.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    All points you just made are easily applicable to Silva fighting Jones yet fight fans are nutting up to see this fight materialize regardless. The perception I get is that people expect Silva to fight bigger opponents but GSP gets a pass.
    I honestly don't care. I'm getting pretty sick of all this talk of superfights. GSP won't fight Silva and Silva won't fight Jones. I'm ok with it. They should just let the champions dominate their own divisions and shut up about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Thread Information