Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones vs. Belfort to Headline UFC 152 After Lyoto Machida Turns Down Title Shot

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    so even though it would be possible, he'd need to face Jones with only 15 days of contact? After he went 4 rounds just 5 weeks before that? Belfort hasn't fought in 8 months?

It would have been a great illustration of heart if Shogun or Lyoto took the bout, I don't really think the two are directly comparable with Belfort choosing to take it.

Actually, I don't even think that Jones turning down the bout with sonnen is as comparable to Machida and/or Shogun turning down a rematch, as both have just fought in the last three weeks.

rh
    I give you the fact Shogun took a considerable amount of damage in the Vera fight. But Machida did his normal dancing around and took no damage until finishing Bader. Along with the fact he was just training weeks and weeks before that fight, no reason Machida couldnt be training right now and read for Jones in Sept. Sonnen just got finished by Anderson not a few weeks before Machida fought and was willing to fight Jones just next week.
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Well doesnt someone look silly.
    I can't rep you. And I wouldn't anyways. Because you're dead to me, and I don't rep dead people.

Actually, I don't even think that Jones turning down the bout with sonnen is as comparable to Machida and/or Shogun turning down a rematch, as both have just fought in the last three weeks.

rh

I agree, although, Lyoto did not really take any damage.

On that note, I am going to rewatch the school job Lyoto laid on Bader when the office clears out a bit.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Leucoethiops View Post
    You're a jerk, I already rep'd RH for pointing out the suspension thing.

You realize I can't take that back, right?

I thought he made a good point...

Now I don't believe in anything.
    meh, I repped him for you, just for doing the math. Isn't it Friday in Canada? Who the hell does math on a Friday unless they have to?

Quote Originally Posted by FedortheCan View Post
    Well well well.... isnt that something? Good info Cat
    Another question: can a fighter under suspension even sign a bout agreement? can they be offered a bout? In that regard, are medical suspensions different than administrative sanctioned suspensions?

I would imagine that if Shogun were medically suspended, and he's offered a bout, begins his training early to prepare and suffers a career-impacting injury, a case could be made to sue Zuffa as a result.

But by the same token, I'm sure Zuffa's legal team has thought of that.

I just didn't think you could offer a sanctioned bout to a fighter under any time of suspension: sanction or medical. I guess I'm wrong...

I can't rep you. And I wouldn't anyways. Because you're dead to me, and I don't rep dead people.
    Interesting. Now, me; bearing the unholy might weilded by interweb admin everywheres [well, everywheres but in real-life] I can take stuff back. Should I take back the rep I gave him on your behalf?

rivethead giveth, and he may taketh away...

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quit being a fag .

meh, I repped him for you, just for doing the math. Isn't it Friday in Canada? Who the hell does math on a Friday unless they have to?

Another question: can a fighter under suspension even sign a bout agreement? can they be offered a bout? In that regard, are medical suspensions different than administrative sanctioned suspensions?

I would imagine that if Shogun were medically suspended, and he's offered a bout, begins his training early to prepare and suffers a career-impacting injury, a case could be made to sue Zuffa as a result.

But by the same token, I'm sure Zuffa's legal team has thought of that.

I just didn't think you could offer a sanctioned bout to a fighter under any time of suspension: sanction or medical. I guess I'm wrong...

rh
    I don’t think they should be able to either. Are medical suspensions set but also dependent upon a medical clearance once the suspension is up? Seems like an irresponsible and big gamble if the UFC was to have offered the fight to Shogun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Quit being a fag .

What are you saying?

8. Default

So Wandy is rumored to fight Belcher now.
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    So Wandy is rumored to fight Belcher now.
    Bad matchup for Wandy

dag...now I have to double post because in addition to math, I don't really edit much on Fridays...

Quote Originally Posted by FedortheCan View Post
    I give you the fact Shogun took a considerable amount of damage in the Vera fight. But Machida did his normal dancing around and took no damage until finishing Bader. Along with the fact he was just training weeks and weeks before that fight, no reason Machida couldnt be training right now and read for Jones in Sept. Sonnen just got finished by Anderson not a few weeks before Machida fought and was willing to fight Jones just next week.
    Well, to look at it another way, sonnen has absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain, and Machida has everything to lose and very little to gain that he can't get another, more profitable way.

dana's response is that Machida is now one fight against a top LHW away from getting a rematch. So he wins one fight and he gets a full camp to focus on Jones. If he win's his next fight, he's got a rematch in January-ish, with the force of a full camp behind him. He doesn't have to fight on short notice, it's pretty win-win. Well, win one fight and then win-win.

Sonnen is probably 3 or 4 wins from a title shot anyway, so even if he went on a successful tear, he's looking at 2014. And that's saying he'll be successful.

I dunno, I think it's punkassed to turn down fights. I do. But there are degrees of punkassed-ness, and I think Machida is about a 3 out of 10 for this. Shogun is about a 2. Jones is about an 8.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information