Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones vs. Belfort to Headline UFC 152 After Lyoto Machida Turns Down Title Shot

I guess Machida is the "coward" rather than Vitor as Anderson has called him. Hell, Anderson is also a coward. Vitor took a fight that Anderson is afraid of and Machida was afraid of.

Coward? LOL

I hope Machida loses his title shot now, he really didn't want it to begin with. Jones really should have been stripped of the title, he is no champion at all. Dana should ban Greg Jackson from the UFC.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    I guess Machida is the "coward" rather than Vitor as Anderson has called him. Hell, Anderson is also a coward. Vitor took a fight that Anderson is afraid of and Machida was afraid of.

Coward? LOL

I hope Machida loses his title shot now, he really didn't want it to begin with. Jones really should have been stripped of the title, he is no champion at all. Dana should ban Greg Jackson from the UFC.
    Great point really that nobody is talking about. Anderson, the best P4P in the world, states he will "save" the card by fighting a LHW.... any LHW not named Jon Jones. But other MWs like Weidman, Belfort, Sonnen step up and are willing to fight Jones? LOL..... um yeah
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post

Coward? LOL

Wait, ban Greg Jackson because you don't like his game planning (which is what this amounts to) & him advising Jones not to take the fight?
    I believe Jones should have taken the fight but to put blame on Jackson is asinine, he doesn't make the decisions & I'm certain Jackson still would have cornered him in the event he would have taken the fight.
    I know most dislike Jackson & the way he advises fighters to fight but at the end of the day it is advise, as Leonard Garcia proves every single fight, as well as Donald Cerrone, & many many other fighters whom fight under that camp...You make your own decisions in the cage, & in this case outside of it.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

Quote Originally Posted by FedortheCan View Post
    I apologize in advance in case I missed it among the shit storm of info and posts that came out about this..... but where the eff is any mention of Shogun? Did not Machida and Shogun fight top ranked LHWs on a free card to determine who gets the next crack at Jones after Hendo? What was the hole point of that if Machida backs out, if Shogun isnt the next in line? I know Dana is acting like a little 9 year old girl who got their Barbie stolen... but where are the checks and balances in this org to make sure shit decisions are happening? So because Hendo is injured and Machida doesnt want to fight him.... are you telling me that Shogun, Goose, Glover, Davis.... none of these guys wanted to step up at a chance for glory and to take that belt?
    From an ESPN article:

Jon Jones to fight Vitor Belfort at UFC 152 - ESPN

Belfort was UFC's third option after former 205-pound champions Lyoto Machida and Mauricio Rua turned down a chance to face Jones with about four weeks remaining before the fight.

You have to be insane to think the UFC would even remotely consider doing Anderson Silva vs Jon Jones on roughly eight days notice. To most of us (and in their eyes too, I'm sure) it's the super fight. One that would deserve a lot more promotion and media attention than can possibly be squeezed in during that time frame.
    "To be truly walking on the warrior's path, we have to bring our minds back to the time when we were not ashamed of our dreams; when reality had not yet frustrated our ambitions; when our desire was still too strong to be repressed, and our spirit refused to surrender in resignation; when we were not yet doctors, businessmen, or lawyers, but still wanted to be heroes, leaders, bodhisattvas. The first step on the way to being warriors is to get back in touch with our dreams."

Kinda pathetic when all the 205 guys are turning it down and the 185 guys are trying to step up.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by themind View Post
    From an ESPN article:

Jon Jones to fight Vitor Belfort at UFC 152 - ESPN

Belfort was UFC's third option after former 205-pound champions Lyoto Machida and Mauricio Rua turned down a chance to face Jones with about four weeks remaining before the fight.
    Good Lord... then why the fuck are Machida and Shogun having fights to determine the next opponet for Jones after Hendo? What a bunch of fucking horse shit.
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

Quote Originally Posted by MirJitsu View Post
    You have to be insane to think the UFC would even remotely consider doing Anderson Silva vs Jon Jones on roughly eight days notice.
    They'd lose a lot of marketing for the fight but for the most part the majority of people who are interested in MMA are already following whethere they were guying the PPV or not. I think they could swing it. As much as I am a Hendo fan I really wasn't intested in the card, but Jones vs Silva just might get my money.

As far as Silva on short notice, I don't think he needs a camp to compete at his level in the game.

And it's pretty weak that you didn't have LHW fighters storming Dana's office with pitch-forks and torches.

What the fuck is this shit?!

Where the hell are all the LHW fighters? Where is goose? Davis? Lil Nog? Not a single LHW said they would step in? Only MWs???
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    Wait, ban Greg Jackson because you don't like his game planning (which is what this amounts to) & him advising Jones not to take the fight?
    I don't think anyone should be banned. But when it came to contract renegotiations, I certainly would not be tossing money at any Greg Jackson fighter, regardless of their skills and worth.

Zuffa has made an obvious commitment to the entertainment over talent model. Jackson's tutilege doesn't follow that model, and thus shouldn't be rewarded by the successes of that model.

I don't blame him for having a philosphy and following it. But I certainly wouldn't reward it.

Quote Originally Posted by MirJitsu View Post
    You have to be insane to think the UFC would even remotely consider doing Anderson Silva vs Jon Jones on roughly eight days notice. To most of us (and in their eyes too, I'm sure) it's the super fight. One that would deserve a lot more promotion and media attention than can possibly be squeezed in during that time frame.
    QFT.

That being said, I'm kind of on the fence about the response: Anderson could have offered to fight Jones with the assumption that it would never happen, which might look cool to his fans; but would be immediately discredited by critical thinkers unless Silva was willing to follow it up with a real bout in the future. I guess my question about the worth of his gesture hinges on the fighters he offered to face. I'd love to see a list of those names.

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicKnight3X View Post
    Kinda pathetic when all the 205 guys are turning it down and the 185 guys are trying to step up.
    I'd also love to see a list of the actual 205 guys who were offered and declined. Implying that nobody wanted the fight isn't cutting it for me. dana has revealed names when it suits his whimsy in the past, why not now?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information