Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones vs. Belfort to Headline UFC 152 After Lyoto Machida Turns Down Title Shot

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    Shogun shouldn't have taken the fight. His cardio was a mess against Vera and he's just not physically ready to fight 5 rounds. Machida may have had time constraints considering he'd just left the country and then would have to fly back and still try to prepare with the jet lag added complications. I haven't heard that guy like Goose, Texiera, Lil Nog or any other top guys were considered so I don't know that they weren't willing to fight.

The Anderson offer is hilarious to me because he will move up to fight at LHW as long as it's not a top fighter, but won't fight the #1 contender in his own division against a guy who did actually offer to go up and fight Jones. I'm ok with Vitor because it should be a good fight. I'd still like to see Vitor fight Silva again because I believe he can win that fight. The kick was a flash KO so we didn't get to see that fight really play out. Those things happen, like the Hendricks fight with Fitch. I think Fitch wins that fight 70% of the time. Crazy day for sure and may drive some huge PPV numbers.
    Agreed 100%

Shogun has looked like complete trash recently, why should he fight for the title anyway ? Shit I think he should be moved a bit further down the latter after that last shitty performance. He doesn't want it anymore , so why bother fighting ? I don't understand.

So Jones turns down a fight in 9 days against an opponent he hasn't prepared for; then he is demonized by pretty much everyone and called a coward, plus every synonym there is for coward. Lyoto gets a chance to step up with THREE MORE WEEKS NOTICE, but I don't see any cute little Machida ducking memes or any rants about him even remotely similar to the onslaught of Jones criticism. Nice collection of standards we have for different fighters. What a joke. I don't even care for Jones but I might have to become a fan just to combat the laughable subjectivity.
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

Almost forgot Belfort trains with the blackzilians now. Rashad can definitely help him out with his wrestling and gameplan as someone who's not only trained but also fought with Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by CapCee View Post
    So Jones turns down a fight in 9 days against an opponent he hasn't prepared for; then he is demonized by pretty much everyone and called a coward, plus every synonym there is for coward. Lyoto gets a chance to step up with THREE MORE WEEKS NOTICE, but I don't see any cute little Machida ducking memes or any rants about him even remotely similar to the onslaught of Jones criticism. Nice collection of standards we have for different fighters. What a joke. I don't even care for Jones but I might have to become a fan just to combat the laughable subjectivity.
    I think the difference for most ppl is that Jones has already been training for months now, for a September 1st fight. So, he was prepared and ready to go on 8-12weeks training. By September 22nd that would be 12-15 weeks. For Machida, it would have been 3 weeks.

Where the fuck is goose? Where the hell is Davis? 3 weeks is pleanty of time to make weight. Jones took Shogun on in 3 weeks notice, and he had less than 3 years MmA experience at the time.

IMO this shows bad on the entire LHW division.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

You can't blame Machida for wanting more time to prepare for the biggest fight of his life. You also can't equate him refusing to fight on three weeks notice with Jones refusing to fight after a full training camp. It's apples and basketballs as well as unwarranted and ridiculous. How is it comparable taking fighters and thrusting them at a crisp champion to salvage an otherwise grossly underwhelming card when the champion himself denies fighting the ones that actually want to step in?
    Last edited by FarBeyndDrvn; 08-24-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    "I like you Clarence. Always have, always will."

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg
    Something many posters here are also guilty of doing everytime the rumor meal gets cranked up.
    I'd like mine with a Diet Coke, please!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    Roadawg is just a damn fool when it comes to MMA and Anderson Silva. There is no point in acknowledging his bullshit unless you just want brain damage. Responding to it is fucking pointless. His opinion is a joke.
    "Every gun makes its own tune."

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Pretty sure every LHW was asked. Hence Dana White's statement that only Sonnen stepped up.
    Yeah...the day I take dana's word that water is wet is the day I need someone to shoot me. Never mind that you're inferring information from what wasn't stated directly. But dana's decision to host this infohateparty so publicly is suspect. I can't see someone like Glover or Gustaffson not making the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    I haven't heard that guy like Goose, Texiera, Lil Nog or any other top guys were considered so I don't know that they weren't willing to fight.
    That's exactly what I'm concerned about. To me, any LHW with a single UFC win is lightyears ahead of sonnen.

The Anderson offer is hilarious to me because he will move up to fight at LHW as long as it's not a top fighter, but won't fight the #1 contender in his own division against a guy who did actually offer to go up and fight Jones.
    Yeah, there is a lot of posturing going on. It would be a more credible statement if we saw who Anderson was willing to fight, but without the willingness to face Jones, he's not really offering to "save" anything but his own reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by CapCee View Post
    Jones is the champion. Machida is not. Jones carries more responsibility than Machida does.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

I agree with rivet about any LHW being more legit than Sonnen. I also don't think Vitor is the right choice.

I noticed a lot of people going off on Jones for not taking the Sonnen fight but only a few have mentioned Machida turning down Jones. Machida turning down this fight is way more out of line than what Jones did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    Wait, ban Greg Jackson because you don't like his game planning (which is what this amounts to) & him advising Jones not to take the fight?

I believe Jones should have taken the fight but to put blame on Jackson is asinine, he doesn't make the decisions & I'm certain Jackson still would have cornered him in the event he would have taken the fight.

I know most dislike Jackson & the way he advises fighters to fight but at the end of the day it is advise, as Leonard Garcia proves every single fight, as well as Donald Cerrone, & many many other fighters whom fight under that camp...You make your own decisions in the cage, & in this case outside of it.
    Any respect I had for Greg Jackson was lost forever during the Nathan Coy/Ryan McGillivray fight in MFC a few months back, where Jackson was in McGillivray's corner and was basically slapping him to stay awake in between rounds when it was apparent the kid was utterly out of it and in serious danger of long-term injury. Rather than looking out for his fighter's safety when he was severely out of it, Jackson pushed the kid back out there to take more of an ass-whooping, it was a pretty disgusting turn of events to say the least.

I highly recommend everyone look at that fight and I think Jackson's priorities will be in full view.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Jackson gameplan:

"Make GSP chase you alot and spread alot of water in our corner. Hopefully we can get GSP to pull a Chael and buckle his knee!"
    You do realize that Jackson will likely be in G.S.P.'s corner during that fight, unless Jackson stated differently?
    "Victims aren't we all"

"Give them Nothing but take from them Everything"

"Good Humor is like premature ejaculation, you don't plan it, it just comes to you"

Thread Information