+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prime vitor vs prime rampage

Default prime vitor vs prime rampage

this would be a hell of a fight i think.. i think vitor has a little bit better boxing, but rampage has great boxing defense... i think rampage could possibly end this fight with a counter hook and vitor could possibly drop page with the left straight... man, this would be a crazy fight.

with that said, i think vitor by decision. think he'd stick and move on jackson and win the unanimous.
    lemme touch your feet

Quote Originally Posted by deeznizzies View Post
    this would be a hell of a fight i think.. i think vitor has a little bit better boxing, but rampage has great boxing defense... i think rampage could possibly end this fight with a counter hook and vitor could possibly drop page with the left straight... man, this would be a crazy fight.

with that said, i think vitor by decision. think he'd stick and move on jackson and win the unanimous.
    Cannot imagine this fight going to a decision, nor can I imagine Vitor merely sticking and moving.

Page. 2nd rd ko.

Rampage.

Rampage without question. Vitor's boxing has never actually impressed me. His handspeed is indeed impressive, however he rarely mixes up his attacks and simply relies on his speed.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Rampage. Look at Vitor's pride fights at 205, he faded the longer they went on, especially with guys who could take him down. Rampage has the ability to do that, he took guys down in pride, and was able to take Dan Henderson down in their fight in the UFC. So Rampage at his best can contend with Vitor on his feet and put him on his back imo.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by deeznizzies View Post
    That would be a very good gameplan to use on Rampage... Vitor could use his speed to get in and out, landing his shots... but that has never been his style. He has never played the stick and move game. He is an aggressive fighter that will swarm once he sees an opening.

Interestingly enough they both had the same boxing coach for a while, Juanito... At their best they both have very solid technical boxing for MMA standards... 2 of the best in MMA.

I know Vitor has fought at HW and LHW, but he would give up some decent size and power to Rampage.

Vitor clearly has a speed advantage, Rampage has the power advantage..

I would take Rampage by KO round 2.

Same I got Ramapge catching Vitor like he caught Wandy.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

I don't know that Vitor ever really had a prime.

I mean, he looked fine against Randy for the few moments their second fight lasted, but then I think it really started to sink in that Priscilla wasn't coming back, and he looked like crap with sporadic flashes of talent thereafter. I guess you could call pre-2002 PRIDE-era Vitor his "prime" but he wasn't facing top opponents at that point; and you could make an argument today that he's fighting better in 2012 than he did eleven years ago...but while he's mentally stronger than he was 7-10 years ago, I don't know that he'll ever be a solid bet emotionally/mentally.

I want to like Vitor than I should. He's a likeable guy with tremendous talent, but I think the loss of his sister broke his heart. I think he's had snakes in his head from that point onward. He's one of those guys that rogain talks about "the old fighter X is back" every time there is the slightest flash of brilliance, but beyond the sheer talent he possesses, he never actually accomplished the things his legend was based on. Really, his biggest single moment was a cut-stoppage. Thus far, Vitor's failed to live up to any expectations beyond being entertaining.

They're both consummate boxers, with the edge in speed going to Vitor and the edge in power going to jackson. rampage is a better wrestler, but Vitor is a much better pure grappler...however, he gives size and strength advantages to rampage, and the edge he gains with slightly better cardio might not offset that.

So it depends on how you interpret the question. If Vitor's prime was 2001 and he faced a 2001 rampage, he'd more likely than not won a decision over jackson. But that wasn't rampage's prime...so if 2001 Vitor faced a 2007 rampage, rampage would have won a unanimous decision over Belfort, 9 out of 10 times.

However, you could make an argument that Vitor is fighting better today than he did in 2001. That being said, if 2012 Vitor faced a 2012 rampage, Vitor wins a UD, 8 out of 10, and would probably lose a closer, maybe even split decision to a 2007 rampage. So it probably balances out.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Many people do forget about Vitor's loss of his sister and simply refer to him as a mental midget --- it's a shame but boys will be boys.

I would not have a definitive answer.

Instead, I will say that if the fight ends quickly I'd take Belfort. PRIME Rampage was less of a brawler as he was able to be more well-rounded, still Vitor's striking was beyond Rampage's.

Were it to last longer, I'd take Rampage. By way of GNP or KO. Vitor's TDD has been questionable at times and I don't think that Rampage in his prime would have problems putting Belfort on his back.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 09-04-2012 at 10:46 PM.

VITOR, speed kills

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information