+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC Not Happy With How Bellator Handles Contracts

Default UFC Not Happy With How Bellator Handles Contracts

UFC Not Happy With How Bellator Handles Contracts

"I don't talk much about Bellator, but what they do is one of the dirtiest things you can do in the business," said White, during an interview with reporters following the UFC 152: Jones vs. Belfort post-fight press conference. "It's dirty. It's grimy. It's just despicable. When you made the decision to cut him, you cut him. That's one of the dirtiest things you can do in the fight business."
    "It's one of the dirtiest, low down despicable things you can do in the fight business," White said. "I have no beef with those guys, they're doing their own thing. I could care less. But that' dirty."
    UFC Not Happy With How Bellator Handles Contracts - FightLine.com

Dana White Rips Bellator, Accuses Them of Pulling 'Dirty Scumbag Moves'

Dana White Rips Bellator, Accuses Them of Pulling 'Dirty Scumbag Moves' - MMA Fighting
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

UFC open to Anthony Johnson return, but Bellator fighters off limits due to 'despicable' deals | MMAjunkie.com
    Following Saturday's UFC 152 event in Toronto, White said he'd like to see Johnson (13-4 MMA, 7-4 UFC) get another win in the weight class.

"We'll see," he said of Johnson's potential return. "I like the kid. It's not like I don't like him. I want to see him make weight another time and then we'll (decide). I don't care what weight he's at as long as he f---in' makes weight."

I've heard about a half dozen of really shady contract stories with Bellator, where they don't book fighters, blow them off completely and basically say, "you're cut", but then invoke their contractual obligations if the fighter gets a UFC offer.

Brookins, Herman, and more recently Tyson Nam and Hollett have exposed some of the troubles with how they do business.

Eddie will be very lucky once he's fulfilled his obligations and can get outta there.

And the gloves are off... Is this a preview of the shit talk to come when the mma rating wars start to flair up between Spike and Fox in 2013?

I'm still really curious about the whole Cole Konrad retirement. It felt quite abrupt and we haven't really heard too much from Bellator about it. Does anybody have the "latest"?

Default Tyson Nam Waits on the Sideline While His Attorneys Fight with Bellator

BJPenn.Com Exclusive: Tyson Nam Waits on the Sideline While His Attorneys Fight with Bellator | MMA News | Mixed Martial Arts | UFC News | BJPenn | MMA Fight | UFC Fights

“We’re kind of arguing all over again,” Nam told BJPenn.Com Radio. “Bellator matched an offer we received and the promotion that made the offer then counter-offered. Bellator is saying we already matched it despite the fact that it’s a completely new offer. My agents are also attorneys and we have hired someone outside of their company to assist us. They are doing such a great job and they are going to war with the Bellator attorneys in New Jersey.”

Dana White had some harsh comments about Bellator at the UFC 152 post fight conference. He called what Bellator does dirty and said when he releases a fighter he lets them go. What Bellator is doing is hurting Nam and not allowing him to earn a living.

“I was watching what Dana had said and he put it perfectly,” Nam admitted. “They aren’t using me and they release me which in my mind shows me they don’t want anything to do with me. Then I win a fight which I’m sure they felt was a guaranteed win for Dantas, but things didn’t certainly didn’t go according to plan. Now they’re starting up with me all over again. There are a handful of guys who are stuck in the same situation that I’m in. Bellator is doing this to a lot of guys and it’s a little upsetting.”

Is Bellator missing the boat on a potential rematch between Nam and Dantas? Because of their tournament style format Nam isn’t assured a rematch with the man he just knocked out in the event he resigns with the organization.

“In their mind that I had absolutely no chance to win that fight,” said Nam. “If you looked at it on paper then there was really no way I should have won, but they didn’t know that I was training and getting better. I have a lot of good training partners who are fighting in the UFC and Bellator. They overlooked that aspect and as that fight went down there is no way I should’ve won. We were in his hometown and he was on a seven or eight fight winning streak where he was running through guys.”

After knocking Dantas out an elated Nam took off running from the ring as if he was afraid for his life, but he was just so excited he didn’t know what to do with himself.

“I ran straight back into the locker room I was so excited I must have ran around the back non-stop for 15 minutes,” offered Nam. “When the knockout happened all I heard were crickets and the crowd was dead silent. I was just so excited and the ring felt so small that I couldn’t contain myself!”

The obvious solution from the outside looking in is for Bellator to take advantage of all the attention Nam is receiving, but even if they offer him a fair contract he may not be that interested in fighting for the organization after everything that has transpired.

“I have no problem with the Bellator name or challenging their fighters,” Nam said. “If I do fight for Bellator how will that help my career progress? I have to go and win three fights to rematch their champion who I already knocked out. Does that help me move forward or do I try and fight in different promotions against fighters I haven’t faced yet and help legitimize myself as a top 10 bantamweight? I think it makes more sense to challenge these other world class fighters.”

Nam’s fans made a huge push for him to be signed by the UFC after his shocking upset of Dantas. Dana White was besieged with Tweets asking him to add Nam to their bantamweight division. There have been a few promotions who have expressed interest in signing him, but he isn’t at liberty to discuss that as of yet.

“I’ve been told to keep it hush-hush and all I can say is one company is a brand new promotion. I have other offers on the table and one of them is the most recognizable name in the sport, but that’s all I can say right now until everything is finalized,” Nam said while laughing.

For now Nam is trying to stay busy and stay in shape. After taking some time off to relax he is preparing to hit the gym and make sure if the situation he’s in is cleared up, he will be ready to answer the call.

“I came home to Hawaii to see some family and friends,” stated Nam. “As of tomorrow I will be back up in Portland and back to the grind. I train with Advanced Sports Lab with guys like Mike Pierce, Ian Loveland and Tim Welch. We have a really good team with a great group of coaches. I am getting ready in the hopes that I will have a fight in November or December if all goes well.”

Pot meet Kettle.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Ike turner not happy with how Chris Brown hits women
    LJS-NEMS

Default Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney Responds to Criticism From Dana White: ‘It's Very, Very Hyp

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney Responds to Criticism From Dana White:

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney listened to White's words on Monday's episode of The MMA Hour, and did not mince words in his response.

"It's a very, very hypocritical statement," Rebney mused.

"We had to go through the exact same process with Zuffa when we signed ‘King Mo.' Zuffa released ‘King Mo' Lawal on March 27, 2012. They went public with their release, they put it up on their own website, on UFC.com, Dana confirmed the release of 'King Mo' to the media on the exact same day, and then in April, when Bellator looked to sign 'King Mo,' we had to submit our full contract to Zuffa. We sent it certified mail to their attorneys. Then we had to wait 14 full business days, which is typically 20-to-21 days in total, for them to decide if they were going to match or not going to match -- which thankfully they didn't, and we ended up with one of the most exciting and entertaining light heavyweights in the world -- but, this is, to the letter, the exact same process.

"So it's one thing to call somebody out on doing something," continued Rebney. "But when you follow the exact same process, the veracity of the comments have to be taken in context with what the real world dictates."

Looking back, while Nam and Hollett's disagreements with Bellator differed in the details, the common thread remained that both fighters were at one time signed to a contract before eventually being released.

Nam went on to knockout heralded Bellator bantamweight champion Eduardo Dantas in a regional show in Brazil. After which, hoping to capitalize on his newfound momentum, Nam claims he fielded several lucrative offers from various promotions before being informed by Bellator lawyers that, due the promotion's matching rights, Bellator still held claim over his contract. Now, despite never actually fighting for Bellator in the first place, Nam could potentially be held out of action for the remainder of 2012, waiting for a spot in the next Bellator tournament, which is expected to kick off sometime in the spring of 2013.

A half-year of inactivity is a tough pill for any up-and-coming fighter to swallow, and Nam has repeatedly implored Bellator to "take the handcuffs off." Nonetheless, Rebney maintains his matching rights clause is just a side effect of the business.

"You have a limited number of spots," Rebney explained. "So you're ultimately going to look from a business perspective to protect yourself as a company, so that if you do give somebody that big opportunity, you ultimately are not going to be left out in a position where you're just building someone up for someone else.

"That's what the clause is designed for. It's not designed to put the fighter in a worse position. It's not created to give the promoter who had the contract with that fighter the opportunity to pay him less. All you're saying is, ‘Look, give me the opportunity to pay you exactly what someone else will pay you, and if I decide to, I get the right to keep you. If I decide not to, in relatively short order, 14 days, I've got to release you.'"

Rebney previously admitted those 14 business days can actually stretch to "20-to-21 days," and in the case of Hollett, that discrepancy makes a difference.

According to Hollett, it was only through Vladimir Matyushenko's misfortune that he ever escaped Bellator's clutches to fight at UFC 152. Hollett signed with Bellator in 2011, competing just once before being dropped from season six's light heavyweight tournament due to a potentially serious heart condition. After receiving his Bellator walking papers, Hollett remained inactive until the UFC came calling with a chance to fight on pay-per-view against Matt Hamill. The 33-year-old jumped at the offer, which was easily the biggest opportunity of career, but it soon fell apart because, he believes, Bellator dragged it's feet during the matching rights period, not signing off until the day after the UFC decided to move in a different direction.

From an outsider's perspective, the situation certainly is coincidental enough to appear like a vindictive attempt to block Hollett from joining the UFC. However, according to Rebney, that's simply not true.

"It's literally a mechanism where you're actually giving a fighter an opportunity to go out and entertain other offers," said Rebney. "Because if you keep a fighter under contract and just keep him on the shelf, if you keep a fighter under long-term promotional agreement and just keep him on the shelf, you're not doing the fighter any favors at all.

"A fighter like Roger Hollett -- he's a talented fighter, he's got good abilities, he got a good following up in Canada -- we didn't have a place for him, just based on the depth of that division. The UFC did, and it took us literally 30 minutes looking at the offer to say, ‘Hey, Roger, good luck. Go do the best you can. We wish you all the luck in the world. You can move on to the UFC.' But, there's benefits to the fighter as well, because you're not ultimately holding onto fighters, you're just keeping one small segment of that contract in a position where you can protect the time and money you've invested into that fighter."

Aside from Lawal, Rebney also referenced the signing of Roger Huerta in 2010 as an example of the UFC utilizing its matching rights to determine a fighter's future. For this reason, Rebney admits he isn't sure why Bellator is now being singled out if the practice is so widespread.

"If you're a fan of the game and you've been watching, you want the Viacom's onboard," he explained. "You want the Fox's onboard. You want huge, monolithic entertainment giants supporting this game and building it up, and building it up both domestically and internationally. Part of that is investment, and part of that investment is in the fighters. So, are we going to continue to follow a process that's been pretty well documented and that the other large organization in this space follows? We may.

"I think it would be a different situation if you were saying to the fighter, hey, we want a right to match, but we want to pay you 30-percent less than any deal you get. Now that would be untenable. That would be, in my mind, unfair. But when you do make the commitment, and you do provide the opportunity, and you do provide the platform, I don't think it's an unreasonable thing to ask for.

"These contracts are 40-something pages long," Rebney concluded. "And written by some of the smartest minds in the legal profession. So sometimes people don't have the opportunity to review them all or see them in totality, or understand the commitment that our company or another company might make to a fighter."

i disagree with bjorn completely, if you cut a fighter, youve decided he isnt good enough or you dont have the space for him to fight. all of a sudden when someone else wants that fighter you wanna try to make the room or decide he is good enough? a release is a release, a firing, not a lay off

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information