+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would Pat Barry be a contender at LHW?

1. Default

As a few have said his wrestling needs upgraded to be a legit fighter in either div.

As far as a serious contender goes....no, however I think he does better at LHW than at Heavyweight. He would be with guys his own size rather than fighting bigger/taller guys like Lavar or Struve. For some reason I think I would see him as being like a "Stephan Bonnar" of the division...fans love his personality and to watch him fight but won't have the greatest UFC record to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Am I the only one that doesn't think he could make the cut?
    You are not the only one. I as well don't think that he could make the cut. His bone structure is big, IMO. I know he is short, but he is pretty thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Am I the only one that doesn't think he could make the cut?
    No I agree the cut would be to much on him with his build. He'd have to take alot of time off to be able to properly cut down.

I don't think it matters what division he fights in he'd maybe do a little better at LHW against the guys without strong takedowns but still runs into the same hurdles.

he would have to lose some muscle, or it would be a serious cut...

Pat is a very strong guy... He would lose some of it moving down, but would still be one of the strongest LHW's out there...

His holes in the wrestling game and on the ground would be even more magnified though imo...

You also have to question how he would deal with the speed of other fighters...

simple answer... no... but it would be entertaining to watch. some good fights to be made...

Nope doubt he'd even be top 10

His ground game looked pretty good in that one fight in which he was on the ground, I think he even turned it around and got a submission did he not? I think people are underestimating his ground game big time. Pat comes across as a pretty intelligent guy who knows what he needs to work on. I would never say never when it comes to that guy, he's not a world beater, but to become champion you really just have to beat one guy, just once. Just saying......
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    His ground game looked pretty good in that one fight in which he was on the ground, I think he even turned it around and got a submission did he not? I think people are underestimating his ground game big time. Pat comes across as a pretty intelligent guy who knows what he needs to work on. I would never say never when it comes to that guy, he's not a world beater, but to become champion you really just have to beat one guy, just once. Just saying......

Are you talking about the fight where he fought Lavar Johnson? B/c if that is the example of his ground game looking good then I don't like that analogy b/c Johnson sucks on the ground.

I doubt he could make the cut but either way he lacks the wrestling and jj to be a contender. He has huge power and nasty leg kicks but they'd be useless off his back. Talking about this also makes me curious on how much tyron spong has been working on his wrestling for his mma debut, he could be a monster with some solid tdd.

could he make 205? yea. would it help? prolly not. hes undersized at hw, but truth be told a lot of 205'ers hit pretty damn hard too and are faster so im not sure if its worth it. i think the problem is his skill set (or lack there of)...
    Last edited by carbondioxide830; 09-27-2012 at 06:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information