+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC boss White confirms Matt Mitrione turned down Strikeforce fight with Daniel Corm

Default UFC boss White confirms Matt Mitrione turned down Strikeforce fight with Daniel Corm

UFC boss White confirms Matt Mitrione turned down Strikeforce fight with Daniel Cormier

Dana White thought he had Daniel Cormier's next opponent all set up. Instead, it was back to the drawing board.

Cormier (10-0 MMA, 7-0 SF) was scheduled to fight former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC) in about a month in Oklahoma City. But Mir dropped out with an injury, and White and the Zuffa brass went to work on his replacement.

White thought it was going to be Matt Mitrione (5-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) – but the UFC heavyweight turned down the fight earlier this week.

"It f---ing makes me sick," White told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) on Saturday following the UFC on FUEL TV 5 post-fight news conference. "Listen, you don't want big opportunities, I hear you. I get it, then. All I can say is, I guess he doesn't want big opportunities. I get it. Duly noted.

"He wants to fight a guy who weighs 205, but doesn't want to fight the guy who's the real heavyweight, the legitimate guy who's ranked. And Mitrione's not getting any younger."

The 205-pounder White alluded to is Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, who has a newly developed beef with Mitrione, the popular Season 10 contestant from "The Ultimate Fighter" who had an NFL career before jumping into MMA.

But White said a Mitrione-Jackson fight isn't in the cards. Jackson is a light heavyweight, but could move up, of course. But he's also on the shelf after pulling out of a UFC 153 fight against Glover Teixeira.

Mitrione's next fight is booked already. He's scheduled to fight Phil De Fries (9-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) at UFC 155 on Dec. 29 in Las Vegas.

"F---in' insane," White said. "It makes no sense to me, and it's insane. I'm a little bummed out by it. We'll figure it out. Yeah, (he's already got a fight booked). He said, 'I'll just take that one.'"
    UFC boss White confirms Matt Mitrione turned down Strikeforce fight with Daniel Cormier | MMAjunkie.com

I'm a fan of Mitrione but Cormier would hang him out to dry.

gotta love the way that was my question at the post fight scrum haha someone just copy and pasted my work
    “I just want to be known as the greatest ever…is that too much to ask?”

B.J Penn

https://www.facebook.com/roy.billington1
    https://twitter.com/RoyBillington

mmajunkie can suck my balls thieving pricks i've the audio to prove that was from my talk with Dana .
    “I just want to be known as the greatest ever…is that too much to ask?”

B.J Penn

https://www.facebook.com/roy.billington1
    https://twitter.com/RoyBillington

Always thought meathead was all talk. After the way he criticized Jones, thought there was no way he would turn down a fight.

So he calls out over the hill LHW's(Tito and Rampage) and keeps saying he wants big fights against names... what better opportunity than against DC...

Dan is very young in his career, but already ahead of Matt, that fight would not likely be name under normal circumstances... Matt would have to earn his way to a fight with Dan.

7. Default

All in all not a dumb move on Matt's part DC doesn't have much of a name to the causal fan. So better to piss off DW than put a L in your record were a lot woould only see it as a big loss

id like to see a response from mitrione before i really jump too much into this, buuuutt....turning downa fight against a grand prix winner so you can fight de fries sounds a bit ridiculous

I dont understand Dana's reasoning for being so pissed about this. Him and everyone else on this planet know Cormier would wax that ass.

Matt has stated himself numerous times he doesn't find himself being ready for a title or anywhere near there and just wants to put on show's for the fans.

To get the best bang for your buck with Mitrione you just have to have him on all your Fox cards fighting other fighters with minimal grappling experience.

There's something quite telling about this and it's not about Mitrione turning the fight down but rather how far down on the HW depth chart is going in finding a replacement for Mir. I mean, Mitrione is five and one coming off a loss and is ranked what, in the low teens if not lower? Does this mean that they're really just looking to finish off Cormier's SF contract as quickly and as risk-free as possible or have others turned it down?

As far as a main event goes, you've gotta think that Werdum is at the top of the list, but if they've offered Mitrione the fight, they're really reaching. If winner of the Browne/Bigfoot fight get out unscathed, I'm curious if they'll get a call? Since Arlovski signed with World Series of Fighting, I guess Tim is still in the mix?

Should be interesting to hear who they announce as Cormier's replacement. IMO, gotta shake your head at Mitrione here, while he's not on Cormier's level, it certainly would've been a careermaker to somebody who isn't really "in the mix".

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information