Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Cormier pushes for Pat Barry fight at Nov. 3 Strikeforce event

Default Daniel Cormier pushes for Pat Barry fight at Nov. 3 Strikeforce event

Daniel Cormier pushes for Pat Barry fight at Nov. 3 Strikeforce event

With Frank Mir injured and Matt Mitrione unwilling to take the fight, Strikeforce heavyweight Daniel Cormier appears to be taking charge of his own future.

With his Nov. 3 Strikeforce headliner a little more than a month away, Cormier is publicly campaigning for an opponent, and it's sticking with the Strikeforce-vs.-UFC theme.

Cormier (10-0 MMA, 4-0 SF) wants Pat Barry (7-5 MMA, 4-5 UFC).

Cormier, the Strikeforce world heavyweight grand prix winner, has one more fight in the organization before his previously announced move to the UFC. The bout headlines a Nov. 3 event at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, and it airs on Showtime.

Cormier, a former standout wrestler at Oklahoma State University, went to Twitter to campaign UFC President Dana White for the Barry fight. With Cormier assuming Fabricio Werdum is unavailable, he mentioned Barry, whom fans also have pushed in recent weeks.

"@danawhite offer the fight to @HypeOrDie he's from Louisiana like me," he wrote. "He will take the fight. Let's do it!"

He then encouraged fans to retweet the plea.
    Daniel Cormier pushes for Pat Barry fight at Nov. 3 Strikeforce event | MMAjunkie.com

Dana White “Likes” the Idea of Jon Jones Facing Daniel Cormier in the UFC

The fight is anything but official and at this stage of the game only a fantasy bout for fans to theorize about, but UFC President Dana White gets a big smile on his face whenever this potential powder keg title fight comes up.

“That’d be interesting,” White said with a smirk when asked about a potential Jones vs. Cormier fight. “I like it”

White has stated that he will never pressure a fighter to move weight classes outside of stating an opinion, but he knows if Daniel Cormier could make the move down to light heavyweight, he would be a force of nature immediately.
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/dana-white-...ier-in-the-ufc

I for one don't want to see Cormier fight Barry. I love watching HD fight but I'd like to see someone challenge Cormier and Pat's not the guy to do it. I'd like to see an actual competitive fight.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

JUst bring DC to the UFC and be done with it....why fight Barry???? That makes no sense....

No, that would not be a fair fight. Barry's grappling ability is far too advanced for Cormier to handle....
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

This seems kinda cheap...

LOL I really hope this fight does not take place...

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

At this point DC will take any UFC fighter that has the balls to step in there with him, so i can understand why he named Pat Barry. It is not the ideal situation but its also not a bad idea. I'd rather DC have a name opponent. This is also the biggest opportunity Pat is going to get, so let him make the best of it.
    Last edited by mmawolverine; 10-02-2012 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I for one don't want to see Cormier fight Barry. I love watching HD fight but I'd like to see someone challenge Cormier and Pat's not the guy to do it. I'd like to see an actual competitive fight.
    ...yeah, but they'd just offered a Cormier matchup to Mitrione. It's not like they're looking to give him a challenge. It's odd that the level of guys they want to match him with has dropped so dramatically with the loss of Mir, but I don't think they're going to do Werdum or any other elite UFC HW. I just don't see it happening.

It makes no sense to me, but at least it's consistent in not making sense to me.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Meh.

10. Default

So he's called out his 45th UFC HW at this point.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Thread Information