Thread: Joe Rogan gets tapped by Hyun Gyu Lim?

1. Default Joe Rogan gets tapped by Hyun Gyu Lim?

Joe Rogan gets tapped by Hyun Gyu Lim? - Bloody Elbow

The great thing about the combat sports world is that it is truly global. Fans, athletes and coaches can and do come from all around the world. One recent thread over at the Sherdog forums caught my eye, as it was by Hufusopem, a person who primarily posts about Korean MMA.

This one happened to be a doozy, as it tells the secondhand story of a sparring session between Hyun Gyu Lim, a 6'2" welterweight and Korean Top Team prospect that will fight Marcelo Guimaraes at UFC on Fuel 6 in November, and Joe Rogan, the UFC commentator.

The thread can be found here: *UPDATE* Hyun Gyu Lim's story about subbing+pissing off Joe Rogan while sparring BJJ - Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

I'm just listening to a hilarious story Hyun Gyu Lim is telling on a Korean MMA radio show.

He was in America sparring in a camp in California in preparation for Dongi Yang's fight.

So Lim was finished with the training session and was about to go to the showers when lo and behold Joe Rogan comes into the gym. Lim's coach tells him to spar with Joe Rogan.

Lim had no idea Joe Rogan was a bjj black belt and rolled with him thinking Joe was just a strong guy who trained for fun.

But after rolling for a few minutes Lim realized Rogan was really strong and really good at bjj and before he knew it Rogan got his back for like 3 minutes, and rolled for an armbar.

Of course Lim's pride was a bit hurt so he got out of the armbar and threw a perfect flying triangle choke and got Rogan in the sub.

But Rogan being the strong HGH ox he is wouldn't tap so Lim switched to an armbar and cranked and Joe screamed.

So afterwards Lim felt so bad that he went up to Joe and apologized profusely. But Rogan just gave him a death stare and basically ignored him.

They are laughing that there is no way Joe Rogan is going to say good things about Lim now when he fights in the UFC.

UPDATE with BINJIN (KTT TRANSLATOR) INFO

A few things to know about this situation...

Joe elbow got tweaked in the flying triangle/armbar which is why he didn't respond to Ace's apology at the beginning. A little while later, after Joe sat down a while and iced it, he was cool with it. Ace did apologize again and Joe was gracious about it.

Joe is strong as hell, and on the way back to where we were staying, Ace realized that he had strained a rib (or, rather that Joe had injured his rib) really badly rolling with Joe.

------------------------------------
    PS:

-They also talk about how all the UFC fighters at the gym were so impressed by Lim and kept asking the coach why he wasn't in the UFC.

-Also talked about why Chan Sung Jung has such good cardio, because he is from a muay thai background and doesn't use as much footwork compared to a boxer like Hyun Gyu Lim who has a lot of footwork and movement.

-Lim wanted his first fight to be either Akiyama, Thiago Alves, or Jake Shields because he was confident he could beat all 3

I will bet dollars to doughnuts that Rogan would beat the pants off Lim in a pure grappling environment in most rolls. However, one is a professional athlete and the other is a hobbyist in decent shape and such things can happen. Hopefully, Rogan wasn't injured in any significant way back in 2010 - which is when I figure this incident occurred.

Dongi Yang found Chris Camozzi at UFC 121 in Anaheim, California back in October of 2010 - which lines up with what Lim says (and is long before Rogan got his black belts from Eddie Bravo or from Jean Jacques Machado). Rogan probably has long forgotten this and his professionalism should not seriously be called in question for any future commentating bias resulting from this sparring session.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

i dont think joe would have a problem with getting tapped out, if this even happened at all like its being described. Now if you go so hard that you might injure the guy thats not cool. Im a relative novice to pure bjj and i would expect to tap and be allowed to tap rather than getting taken to the brink by a stranger. this is going to get back to joe and if its bullshit he'll say so
    and are they accusing him of using hgh?

Last edited by Sniggles; 10-02-2012 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmawolverine View Post
    i dont think joe would have a problem with getting tapped out, if this even happened at all like its being described. Now if you go so hard that you might injure the guy thats not cool. Im a relative novice to pure bjj and i would expect to tap and be allowed to tap rather than getting taken to the brink by a stranger. this is going to get back to joe and if its bullshit he'll say so
    and are they accusing him of using hgh?
    Rogan does, in fact, use HGH as well as TRT.

Also, he eats extremely healthy including a paleo diet with kale shakes with garlic, ginger etc. Rogan indulges in steak and pork now and then tho.

Last edited by Sniggles; 10-02-2012 at 01:55 AM.

5. Default

Joe Rogan not mad at UFC rookie who submitted him and 'tweaked' his elbow - MMAmania.com

Casual mixed martial arts (MMA) fans may not have heard of Hyun Gyu Lim, who makes his Octagon debut against Marcelo Guimaraes at the upcoming UFC on FUEL TV 6 event from the CotaiArena at the Venetian Macao-Resort-Hotel in the People's Republic of China, on Nov. 10, 2012.

UFC color commentator Joe Rogan?

He's heard of him. That's because the part-time comedian and full time grappling badass had the opportunity to roll with the Korean "Ace," and left the gym with a "tweaked" elbow after tapping to a "sweet" triangle/armbar combination that put his opponent on ice.

Rogan recollects to Middle Easy:

I remember rolling with Mr. Lim because I tend to remember most people that catch me with something, but I certainly was never mad at him. My recollection was that they were there to train for Dongi Yang's fight, and I was just there taking class as usual.

I didn't just walk into the gym as in their version, but it could be that they hadn't noticed me or something. It was the last roll of the night, and they asked me to train with one of their fighters. I don't remember the roll too much other than he was very good, and it was pretty fast paced. I remember at one point I got his back for a while, but I couldn't finish him, and I remember being really tired by that point.

We separated and he caught me in a sweet triangle/arm bar combination. It was very quick and very nice. My elbow got tweaked but I was certainly never upset at him. That could have easily been a language barrier thing, though as I was in some pain.

I iced my elbow and we all sat around and talked some afterwards. My elbow was fine after a day or so. I'm not sure why they would say I was mad at him other than that it makes for a better story that way.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Rogan does, in fact, use HGH as well as TRT.
    I've always found it funny when non-professional athletes use PEDs.

I thought it was hilarious when Jose Canseco got busted for buying juice when he was under house arrest.

This may, in fact, be the funniest thing I've ever heard from rogaine in his entire comedy career.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information