+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MMA receives official government recognition in Russia, under Fedor

Default MMA receives official government recognition in Russia, under Fedor

MMA receives official government recognition in Russia, under Fedor

In a momentous event for MMA in Russia, the Ministry of Sport recently recognized MMA as an official sport. Fedor Emelianenko has been named to run it.

Going forward there will be government support for amateur development, and perhaps an entire system for creating top fighters.

Despite the success of many Russia fighters, most notably Fedor Emelianenko, the development of MMA in Russia has been entirely on an ad hoc basis.

If Russia employs the same resources and techniques to MMA that it does to Judo and wrestling there will be major changes in the international composition at the top of MMA. Wrestling is the best base for MMA, and Russia produces the best wrestlers on earth, not to mention world-class Judoka and boxers.

The first major step of the new organization will be holding the Amateur Championship of Russia. Soldiers of the 56 regions, many of which conducted internal qualifiers from September 28-30.
    MMA receives official government recognition in Russia, under Fedor - Mixed Martial Arts News

Russia also has a bad ass boxing program. Lots to guys come from Russia. It would be interesting to see if Russia puts forward a state run organization to try and rival the UFC. Deep pockets and a more European attitude towards business could definitely help. Not to mention a strong amateur program to develop top fighters. They have the deep pockets to actually make it work, without paying the fighters a ridiculous amount of money, but taking care of all of their needs otherwise. This could even start a trend in other countries in Europe.....I'd like to see how this plays out in the next few years...
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

This is awesome.
    Hopefully in the future more russian fighters are going to be in the UFC.

BTW anyone knows when is fighting Khabib Nurmagomedov? he is like 18-0 and has 2 wins in the UFC.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Glad to hear that Fedor has an important job to keep him involved with the sport.

We going to see some real monsters out of Russia as a result of this I imagine. Glad to see Fedor staying involved in MMA post retirement.

So, MMA wasn't officilly a sport in Russia until now? Weird.

This is great news though. This mean we'll see UFC in Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Ahh this is Russia we are talking about, dont blow your wad just yet, for all we know if Fedor accepts and keeps the position it might just be a fake figurehead slot. Russian bureaucracy is a whole 'nother level of curruption and simply appointing Fedor doesnt make it kosher.

The bad part about this is that there is a real las ped system there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    So, MMA wasn't officilly a sport in Russia until now? Weird.

This is great news though. This mean we'll see UFC in Russia?
    I thought that they were saying that it would get a government push kinda like how basketball, wrestling, and gymnastics do here for the olympics. That they would give money and set up programs to make it like one of their official sports.

MMA doesn't get that kind of attention from our government. This is how I was seeing it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information