Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Brenneman cut by UFC

1. Default Charlie Brenneman cut by UFC

Charlie Brenneman cut by UFC - Bloody Elbow

The UFC has released Welterweight Charlie Brenneman following his loss to Kyle Noke at UFC 152. Brenneman has a 4-4 UFC record.
    UFC: Charlie Brenneman discusses parting ways with the UFC - Bloody Elbow

Fighters come and go in the UFC all the time, and some cuts from the organization are swift and unexpected. Charlie Brenneman, who has had a 4-4 run, was released yesterday, in a surprising turn of events. He's beaten some very tough opponents, most notably, Rick Story. All of his wins within the UFC were well fought, gritty fights, and all received unanimous nods from the judges. His last two fights may have been losses, but they were quick finishes, and seemed to be a matter of "getting caught", as some would term it. In my most humble opinion, this seems like an overly hasty cut.

Charlie took to Twitter this morning, to make his fans aware of the change in his career path. I reached out to him, and got a short interview for our readers. Here's what he had to say:

Basically, I realized after my last fight that I wasn't in a good situation. A week had passed, and yesterday I got a call from my manager/trainer, Mike Constantino. He just said it as succinctly as possible, which is how I prefer it, 'It's not good, you're cut.'

There's nothing really to say. I kind of made my own bed, and I hope to get another chance. I lost to Kyle Noke, and when someone says, 'You got caught early', I have to counter that by saying that I shouldn't have left him the opening to hit me. That's just the way it goes.

I'm not closing the book on anything. The UFC is where I want to be, and it's where I will be again. I give up a lot to fight. I don't live with my wife. I live in New Jersey so I can devote myself to training, when all my family lives in Pennsylvania. It's not a question of drive and passion. I have plenty of that. When that drive naturally expires, then I'll think about stopping.

We spoke about other organizations he might be interested in fighting for, and Ray Sefo's World Series of Fighting was first on the list of possibilities.

My personal thing, and the way I'm looking at this, is I've been there, I've done it, and I sure as heck want to do it again, but equally important, is that I have a vision of me that I want to be in the cage, and that's what I'm striving for. When I reach that, I'll seek out the UFC again.

It just happened, and I hadn't really thought a lot about it, but The World Series of Fighting or Titan seem like great opportunities because they're new and they're fresh, and they would value someone like me. Those are possibilities. There are also some great shows in New Jersey and all across Pennsylvania. They're not as big, but that is my home state. I'm open to offers, for sure. I'm mature, and I've been around the block long enough to know that things work out, one way or the other. I have my health, my family, and my wife. It could be worse.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I shouldn't have left him the opening to hit me. That's just the way it goes.
    Respect.

Its a fight, ANYthing can happen, and shit does. Hes a class act for looking at it in such a positive way.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

Quote Originally Posted by LefthookStcrook View Post
    Respect.

Its a fight, ANYthing can happen, and shit does. Hes a class act for looking at it in such a positive way.
    Agreed fully. I hope he can come back but please please please Charlie shore up your defensive striking!
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

That's the end of his Story.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    That's the end of his Story.
    Ba Dum Tss! - YouTube

No! Not the spaniard!

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

He became very vocal when Jones didnt want to fight on short notice...

I guess it shows him where he stands with the company... or where he did stand with them....

Way to be a "company" man Charlie... Good luck finding a new Job. I do mean that, it is just odd to see this play out. Im sure Bellator or someone else will be quick to pick him up...

Charlie vs. Askren would be an interesting wrestling duel...

Notice he didn't mention Bellator....I think Dana's made it known that if you get cut, even mentioning that organization will put you on his shit list.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    He became very vocal when Jones didnt want to fight on short notice...

I guess it shows him where he stands with the company... or where he did stand with them....

Way to be a "company" man Charlie... Good luck finding a new Job. I do mean that, it is just odd to see this play out. Im sure Bellator or someone else will be quick to pick him up...

Charlie vs. Askren would be an interesting wrestling duel...
    Askren would absolutely OWN him.

10. Default

Charlie Brenneman Found New Life from Fan Support After UFC Release | MMAWeekly.com

Charlie Brenneman did not get the call he was hoping for following his loss to Kyle Noke at UFC 152 in Toronto.

Brenneman lost after a flash knockout sent him to the mat early in the first round, and despite his protests, the fight was over in less than a minute. A short time later, Brenneman got the dreaded call from the UFC saying he was being released from his contract.

Over the last few years, Brenneman has competed in the Octagon a total of eight times with a 4-4 record overall. He was part of one of the most memorable moments in UFC history when he changed opponents on 24-hours notice to help fill a slot needed at UFC on Versus 4, pulling off an upset victory over Rick Story.

Now, Brenneman has left the UFC and, as he tells it, it’s like losing an old friend.

“It was something I knew had the possibility of happening, so I understood it could be coming. When it happens it’s like losing a friend or losing an old girlfriend. I fought for them, it was everybody, everyone was the whole family. So it was sad and then it was disappointing,” Brenneman told MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday.
    At first there was the shock of being released and then the pain of dealing with moving on from being a part of the UFC, but Brenneman turned things around quickly after fans rallied around him after hearing about his release.

“I can honestly say up until pretty much I made it public, I was pretty down. I was contemplating like what do I want to do, but once I saw the support, it was kind of like, wow, this makes me feel good,” Brenneman stated.
    Now the goal is to go out and improve and find the kind of fighter he wants to be before looking to return to the UFC. Brenneman still isn’t a finished product, and this moment just serves as notice that he still has a long way to go until he’s satisfied.

“I’m not going to lie, it is hard to find motivation, but in just the one conversation I’ve had with potential fights, it’s like there are other things out there. There’s other new exciting promotions, and I’m excited for that, but more so my ultimate goal and I haven’t accomplished it, is this vision what I want to fight like,” said Brenneman.

“I have a vision of watching one of my fights and saying ‘wow, that’s exactly what I wanted to be and what I wanted to do’ and I haven’t been able to do that yet.”
    Brenneman says he wants a quick turnaround to get back into the ring or cage as soon as possible. He’s already received a call from at least one promotion that wants to put him to work, and Brenneman is certainly ready to earn it.

If he’s able to become the fighter he’s envisioning in his mind, then there’s no doubt he’ll be back in the UFC Octagon before you know it.

“If I’m able to make that happen and get that goal,” said Brenneman. “There’s no way I won’t be back in the UFC.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Thread Information