Thread: Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney: Heavyweight Division Here to Stay

Default Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney: Heavyweight Division Here to Stay

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney: Heavyweight Division Here to Stay

Bellator 75 takes place this Friday in Hammond, Ind., where the promotion will kick off its latest heavyweight tournament.

Ahead of his organization’s seventh season, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show to discuss his fighters, heavyweights, contracts and more.

On heavyweights to watch: “If [Thiago] Santos can get his weight under control, and that’s an unknown -- if we see a week from Thursday, if Santos gets on the scale and can hit 265, we’ve got a really, really top-tier heavyweight on our hands. His submission game off his back, his jiu-jitsu is amazing. He’s been working on his wrestling. He’s been training with [Ricardo] Liborio down in south Florida. The guy’s got it, allegedly, all together. We’ll see. ... We’ve got some other heavyweights up and coming in this division. You’re going to see some of those guys. You’re going to see the [Alexander] Volkovs of the world, who’s [6-foot-8], coming out of Russia, who’s been knocking people out. There’s some big, exciting heavyweights.”

On whether Bellator should promote a heavyweight division: “You’ve got to keep developing. I’ve never felt like you could have a large-scale international fight promotion reaching, at this point, close to 90 countries around the world and not have a heavyweight division. We’re vested in it. We’ve been recruiting top guys. ... It’ll get there. We could have said the same thing about our 185-pound division when Hector [Lombard] sat up top, but ultimately look at the 185-pound division now and it’s just rock solid. We’ve got guys right and left. We’re going to do the same thing at heavy.”

On a welterweight to watch in the upcoming season: “If you’re looking for a welterweight, keep your eyes on [Andrey] Koreshkov. This guy is a monster out of Russia. He’s fought for us three times now. He’s a beast. He comes out of the Alexander Shlemenko school of mixed martial arts fighting. It’s all knees and elbows and spinning back fists, but he’s got a great game on the ground as well.”
    Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney: Heavyweight Division Here to Stay

Damn I hope they can get the "beast boy" Chris Barnett in the tourney next year.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Where the fuck is Kharitonov?

Would love to see him in a Bellator tournament and he isn't a UFC cast away so it could happen...

Thread Information