John Dodson banking on UFC on FX 5 win to set up 'fastest fight anybody has ever seen' | MMAjunkie.com

ST. ANTHONY, Minn. Flyweight John Dodson (13-5 MMA, 2-0 UFC) knows exactly what he's getting into at Friday night's UFC on FX 5 event.

After all, he's been studying opponent Jussier Formiga (14-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) for years and always hoped for a chance to face him. His wish is now granted, and a UFC title shot is at stake.

Less than a year removed from his victorious run on "The Ultimate Fighter 14," Dodson insists he's up to the challenge and that he's ready for a bout with current champion Demetrious Johnson in what "The Magician" believes will be an epic battle.

"It's going to be the fastest fight that anybody has ever seen," Dodson told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com). "They're going to have to watch it in slow-motion replay."
First, of course, Dodson has to deal with Brazilian submission artist Formiga (who formerly went by Jussier da Silva before adopting his nickname as his last name). While Formiga is making his UFC debut, Dodson said he's extremely familiar with the South American import and has been closely following his career for several years.

"I've followed him for a very long time because I've always wanted to fight him," Dodson said. "He was No. 1 for the longest time. Before him, it was Shinichi Kojima, and I wanted to fight him, but he was beaten by Formiga.

"I've watched Formiga progress throughout his whole career. I've seen him go from nothing but jiu-jitsu to having a little bit of hands now, so I'm actually really excited to see what he's going to bring to this fight."
Seven of Formiga's 14 career victories have come via submission, and he's currently riding a streak of four-straight tapout finishes. While Dodson is no slouch on the floor, it would seem to be his speed and striking that would provide him his clearest path to victory.

Still, Dodson said he's not looking to simply avoid the grappling game with his opponent.

"I can test myself down there," the Team Jakson-Winkeljohn product said. "I've got world champions that come to train in New Mexico all the time. I know what Brazilian ju-jitsu guys are, how they fight, what they bring to the table. Can he have somebody mimic me? That's the real question."
UFC President Dana White has promised the winner of the fight a shot at Johnson, who was recently crowned the flyweight division's first-ever UFC champion. Dodson is excited at the prospect of facing "Mighty Mouse," but he's not overlooking the task at hand.

"Being realistic, I have to go one fight at a time, and this is a fight that's in front of me," Dodson said. "I have to make sure I get through this one. I've got to win. That's it."
Dodson's charismatic personality and high-energy fighting style could very well prove to be the catalyst needed to help the flyweight division grow in stature. His non-stop attacks and rapid-fire movements would seem a perfect match for Johnson in what would likely prove a 25-minute affair high on action.

So for anybody just catching up the flyweight division, Dodson insists you give it a try. After all, he's intending to put on a show.

"Fans are going to see my bringing the magic," Dodson said. "I'm going to sit there and hit him as many times as possible. I hope he's going to put on an interesting show to try and throw back at me."