Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Weidman knows he can beat Anderson Silva but feels UFC champ won't fight him

Default Chris Weidman knows he can beat Anderson Silva but feels UFC champ won't fight him

Chris Weidman knows he can beat Anderson Silva but feels UFC champ won't fight him

Weidman said he believes he deserves a shot at the UFC middleweight champion and that he's got just the right style to hand "The Spider" his first UFC loss. And while he wants to remain humble in his run to the top, Weidman believes Silva is essentially ducking him.

"I just feel like some way or another, Anderson Silva is not fighting me," Weidman told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com). "I honestly don't feel like it's going to happen."

Weidman has done little to hide his desire to face Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC) as quickly as possible. He thought he might get a chance after stringing together wins against top contenders Mark Munoz and Demian Maia. But Silva ultimately declined a potential matchup with Weidman and was content to stay sidelined until next year until a late offer to fight at 205 pounds against Bonnar was put on the table.

"I thought it was the perfect opportunity after the Munoz fight," Weidman said. "He said he wanted to fight three months after the Chael Sonnen fight, and it made perfect sense to do it right then. There was no reason not to. He couldn't come up with an excuse. UFC was asking him to fight me, non-stop, and he put them off and put them off and put them off and then said he doesn't want to fight until 2013."

Silva and his camp have pointed to Weidman's relative lack of experience as a primary reason for their minimal interest in the bout. After all, a 37-year-old Silva can't fight forever, and they prefer big-name fights over a bout with a less-experienced opponent like Weidman.

But the undefeated contender believes he's done enough to warrant a look.

"He can downplay me all he wants," Weidman said. "He can say whatever he wants about me, but I beat two top-5 guys in the world. Nobody has ever done that in the history of the UFC. Now I'm set to fight Dec. 29 agains Timt Boetsch, and that's going to be three top-5 guys in a row if I'm able to beat him. There's no one that's ever done that.

"I took a lot of risks to get where I am this short into my career. It's not like I just got here magically. I beat some good guys. I put myself in short-notice fights against top guys in the world. It's not easy, and I was hoping it would pay off and get my shot against Anderson, but he's ducking me."

At Saturday's post-UFC 153 event, Silva didn't entirely dismiss the potential for a Weidman bout at some point in the future, but he did essentially rule out the contest happening anytime soon. Weidman has tried to stay relatively quiet on the subject until now, but he says a recent trip to church helped him realize he doesn't have to completely silence himself in regards to his desires.

"There's a small line between cocky and confidence," Weidman said. "But I was in church and the pastor gave the definition of humility and it was 'to know yourself accurately – not more or less.' If you're going out there, and you just keep downplaying yourself and downplaying yourself, that's not being humble. That's as bad as praising yourself and talking like you're really good when you're really not. It's about knowing yourself accurately and telling the truth, and everything I'm saying, I really believe in."

Silva appears to be in line for welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre provided "Rush" can get past Carlos Condit in November. But if Weidman can beat Boetsch, he'll be on a short list of potential contenders to the 185-pound throne.

In the meantime, he's not going to focus too much on "The Spider." However, he does hope the bout comes together somehow, some way, and he promises to be ready to perform.

"I know I can beat Anderson," Weidman said. "I got into this sport, and he was the champion at 185 pounds. He looked just as impressive then as he does now. I got into this sport knowing I could beat him from day one. I think I'm a terrible, terrible matchup for him. I think everybody knows it.

"I'm not getting my hopes up. I got my hopes up when they offered him the fight and they decided he wanted to wait until 2013 and not fight me. I'm just focused on Tim Boetsch on Dec. 29, and whatever Anderson Silva is going to do, he's going to do. I just hope the stars align and he accepts the fight when the time comes."
    Chris Weidman knows he can beat Anderson Silva but feels UFC champ won't fight him | MMAjunkie.com
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

It's not looking good for this matchup. I honestly don't think it's going to happen.

3. Default

This fight needs to happen before any "superfight" with anderson, if they want silva to hold onto the title. Else, strip Silva, let him fight whatever/whoever he wants, and have Weidman face the #2 contender, whoever it may be, for the mw championship. To let Silva hold the division hostage to chase his vanity fights, is just disrespectful to fans and the other fighters at 185.

The young buck needs to pay his dues and worry more about guys like Tim Bo, Sonnen, Okami, Belcher, Bisping.

Although he belives otherwise its not his time yet.

And NO the perfect time for having a super fight is while both of these guys are on a winning streak. If GSP or Silva loses then the fight itself won't be as appealing.

Weidman isn't going anywhere so he can wait in line like everyone else calling out Silva.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

DUCKING HIM? What a joke! Chris just beat Munoz in his last fight. This little diva is acting like he's been deserving a title shot for years.

It's pretty simple, obviously not simple enough for Chris to understand it however. If he beats Tim, he will be next in line for a shot. I hope he gets it too, that way he can become a distant memory after Anderson destroys him and the next "guy" can start claiming he's number one and Anderson's ducking him, just like all the other guys before.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Chris himself knows Anderson isnt ducking him... He is just feeding his Dummy fans, like he should to more hype around himself...

Anderson was asked to save the Brazil card.... Weidman was not available... End of discussion.... If Anderson fights anyone else at MW before he fights Chris then yes, Chris and all the fans have a reason to be pissed.

Only 2 people who would deserve a fight with Anderson over Weidman are GSP and Jones... Sorry those fights mean more than a fight with Weidman... If you dont get that, then there isnt anything more to say.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    This fight needs to happen before any "superfight" with anderson, if they want silva to hold onto the title. Else, strip Silva, let him fight whatever/whoever he wants, and have Weidman face the #2 contender, whoever it may be, for the mw championship. To let Silva hold the division hostage to chase his vanity fights, is just disrespectful to fans and the other fighters at 185.
    GSP and Jones are "Vanity fights"

Hell lets just strip them of their titles too, if those fights happen...

If Anderson went up to fight another LHW that wasnt Jones, for no apparent reason, then yes, that may be a vanity fight...

But a Champion vs. Champion fight will always trump a standard title fight.... Im sure the UFC and the fighters involved see it that way as well, it a no brainier...
    Last edited by Kimbo> Rampage; 10-14-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Anyone who has been following Silva's career in the UFC knows that there is always someone like Weidman saying they deserve a title shot and a bunch of fan boys saying this will be the guy to beat Silva. At some point, fighters should start having super fights when they are possible. If Silva fights every guy like Weidman, we'll never get to see any super fights.

what makes Silva/St. Pierre a vanity fight is that Anderson is the one pushing for it. The most decorated champion in UFC history is looking for a fight with a smaller fighter who shows no interest, while there are valid defense fights in his weight class.

A win over a smaller fighter does absolutely nothing for his credibility, his p4p ranking or either weight class.

I know I've put this in as simple terms as possible yet again, and fanboyz will fail to understand it, yet again. But that's what makes it a vanity fight: bigger fighter ignoring better fights within his weight class to pursue a disinterested smaller fighter = vanity fight.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

silva will beat Weidmans ass....after watching him last night im convinced NO ONE is going to beat Silva....

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    what makes Silva/St. Pierre a vanity fight is that Anderson is the one pushing for it. The most decorated champion in UFC history is looking for a fight with a smaller fighter who shows no interest, while there are valid defense fights in his weight class.

A win over a smaller fighter does absolutely nothing for his credibility, his p4p ranking or either weight class.

I know I've put this in as simple terms as possible yet again, and fanboyz will fail to understand it, yet again. But that's what makes it a vanity fight: bigger fighter ignoring better fights within his weight class to pursue a disinterested smaller fighter = vanity fight.

rh
    yeah....Silva wants a super fight he needs to call out JJ

Thread Information