+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Shamrock: The 'soul' of dwindling Strikeforce has been picked apart by the UFC

Default Frank Shamrock: The 'soul' of dwindling Strikeforce has been picked apart by the UFC

Frank Shamrock: The 'soul' of dwindling Strikeforce has been picked apart by the UFC

Currently serving as a commentator for Strikeforce events, Frank recently stated on his appearance on "The MMA Hour" that, 'sadly,' he doesn't see a bright future for the promotion he helped put on the map nearly six years ago.

"In a perfect world, they (Strikeforce) should live on and all the sweat and tears and the soul we put into it should give value somewhere else. In the world of big business, it's probably going to get wrapped up, rolled up and disappear. You know, like many of the other brands in this industry that were used to consolidate and build another brand. Sadly, it's just business. I don't think it's going to live on. At one point, Strikeforce was competing, it was number two. We did it in such a quick period of time and the intention was right . The sport came together to create Strikeforce and Scott (Coker) had the opportunity, and I had a few years left in the cage. But, it will never happen again. That moment is gone. I think that's the toughest thing for me to accept, is that moment is gone."
    Shamrock says that though currently Strikeforce is alive and well, the fact that it's talent has migrated over to the greener pastures of the UFC, hasn't helped increase the lifespan of the promotion.

"Strikeforce is alive and it has a great soul. It's just that they've been picking the soul out of it and taking the talent away from it and now it's a shell. It can definitely be rebuilt. Strikeforce was amazing. The idea of it is still, it still has value. But the way it is being treated, they are plucking all the value out of it."
    By "they" it is safe to assume Shamrock means the UFC, who have systematically picked out the top draws out of the San Jose-based promotion such as Alistair Overeem, Nick Diaz, Cung Le as well as the entire heavyweight roster.

With Showtime cancelling its first-ever Strikeforce event due to an injury to its biggest star, lightweight champion, Gilbert Melendez, Shamrock says that is only a sign of things to come.

"The hardest part for me is that I started working and I didn't get to finish. But, its big business. Showtime, they are in the business of ratings and growing a product and growing their network and the UFC hasn't been supporting that. They've put out some demands that are just, you know, they haven't been amenable. But the relationship is frayed. I don't know who loses out except for the fans when they cancel a show like this. I think it's a telling example of what's going to happen in our future. You know, Gilbert's the star and if we can't have the star, then Showtime doesn't want to play."
    Frank Shamrock: The 'soul' of dwindling Strikeforce has been picked apart by the UFC - MMAmania.com

frank is a true legend, i wish him luck with everything.

Oh boo Frank, oh BOO!
    At least now he can go on to star in Teeth commercials.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Strikeforce failed get over it.

Oh look, Frank Shamrock is talking again. Apparently, he doesn't care for Dana White or the UFC.
    "I think everybody up here is grateful to be on FOX. They'd probably say, 'FOX, thanks.' Everybody but me. I would say, 'FOX, you're welcome. You've been telling everybody for years you've got the American Idol, and now you finally do.'" Chael Sonnen

Having to purchase premium programming packages is what really hindered me from watching strikeforce. Just can't afford it but I can almost always get a few of the peeps together for a PPV and split the price. Now that so many great fights are being aired on regular network channels I'm happier than a five peckered goat.
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

SF has been kept on life support by Zuffa. There's a reason they were able to purchase it douche.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

He is still using those braces?
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by tapper View Post
    frank is a true legend, i wish him luck with everything.
    Ditto. Frank is a UFC hall of famer, in my book.
    Gothic flavor
    how I miss you
    if I only
    once could
    kiss you
    I'd be happy
    for one moment
    of my lifetime
    I'd be there.

Weezer
    Burndt Jam.

Frank Shamrock and Genki Sudo were pretty much the two fighters that inspired my love for MMA. I'm probably in the minority, but I always enjoy hearing what he has to say...hopefully he can find something he's just as passionate about in the future. I know he's been campaigning for New York to sanction MMA.
    "To be truly walking on the warrior's path, we have to bring our minds back to the time when we were not ashamed of our dreams; when reality had not yet frustrated our ambitions; when our desire was still too strong to be repressed, and our spirit refused to surrender in resignation; when we were not yet doctors, businessmen, or lawyers, but still wanted to be heroes, leaders, bodhisattvas. The first step on the way to being warriors is to get back in touch with our dreams."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information