Thread: UFC on FX 5 headliner 'Bigfoot' Silva: Now mentally focused, few can beat me

Default UFC on FX 5 headliner 'Bigfoot' Silva: Now mentally focused, few can beat me

UFC on FX 5 headliner 'Bigfoot' Silva: Now mentally focused, few can beat me

Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva today said that family drives him through rocky times and pushes him toward better ones.

"They've always believed in me, so they're the main reason I feel so mentally strong," Silva told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com). "But I also credit that to my coaches and my good friends."

Silva (16-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) has admitted to lapses in previous fights, but he said he's in the right frame of mind to beat Travis Browne (13-0-1 MMA, 4-0-1 UFC) in the heavyweight headliner of UFC on FX 5, which takes place Friday at Target Center in Minneapolis.

The event's main card airs live on FX while FUEL TV and Facebook carry the prelims.

Silva found solace with his loved ones following a TKO loss to ex-champ Cain Velasquez in his octagon debut at UFC 146. More than the gruesome facial cut he sustained in gruesome one-round fight, he said his ego was the thing hurt most from the promotional-debut loss.

Fifteen months before that fight, he had shocked the world by stopping Fedor Emelianenko in the opening round of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix. Silva hoped to win the eight-man tournament, but instead, eventual winner Daniel Cormier stopped him in the semifinals. He then had his shoulder surgically repaired and rejoined his old camp, American Top Team. It was a gloomy period for the Brazilian heavyweight.

"I'm coming into this fight with a lot of anger from the last few situations that I've been in," he said. "But I'm very excited and motivated to get my first UFC win."

His fight on Friday pits him against one of the heavyweight division's rising stars. Browne, who previously was set to fight Ben Rothwell at UFC on FOX 4 before Rothwell withdrew due to an injury, has yet to be defeated in the octagon and has suffered only a draw to Cheick Kongo in his second appearance. Since then, he has stopped two of his three opponents while winning bonuses for a knockout of Stefan Struve and submission of Chad Griggs.

"I think Travis Browne is a good fighter, but I don't know if Travis is in the top 10 based off his last three opponents," Silva said. "But other than that, I believe that after this victory, I'll be among the top five or six heavyweights in the UFC."
    "I'm not too worried about what he's going to do and how he is because I'm very good right now mentally and physically," Silva said. "I believe that when I'm mentally strong and physically strong, there's not many people in the world that can hold me back."
    UFC on FX 5 headliner 'Bigfoot' Silva: Now mentally focused, few can beat me | MMAjunkie.com

"I believe that when I'm mentally strong and physically strong, there's not many people in the world that can hold me back."
    ...but on that list of Not Many would be Browne.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

I like Bigfoot, but I got a feeling Travis Browne is going to hurt him.

I hope Silva takes this ... From such highs to a three fight losing streak if he loses to Browne.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I hope Silva takes this ... From such highs to a three fight losing streak if he loses to Browne.
    He needs the win for sure but always felt he was a little over rated.

Default Bigfoot Silva: This fight for me is all-or-nothing

Bigfoot Silva: This fight for me is all-or-nothing - Mixed Martial Arts News

“This fight for me is all-or-nothing,” Silva told ESPN.com. “I’m coming into this fight knowing the importance of fighting in the UFC. The UFC is the best promotion in the world, and by having a better performance and victory, it will transcend into a better life for my family.

“It will also transcend into a better life for me professionally.”

“It’s enabled me to focus on one strategy for my opponent,” Silva said. “Since the opponent remained the same from the beginning of my camp until the end of my camp, I was able to stay very focused.

“That is definitely going to benefit me in this fight.”

Don't really dislike either guy but Travis go balls to the walls everytime and I am rooting for him. Unfortunately I think Bigfoots skills are slightly better than Browne's overall and he will find a way to win.
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

This is a great fight... If Browne is impressive it will skyrocket him into the big name HW fights. It will be his first showcase against a top10 HW.

I can see Browne beeing too much for Bigfoot standing... Bigfoot has some power, but is slow and becomes flatfooted at times... Bigfoots takedowns are good, and his top control, advances and GNP are great...

We need to see Browne stop some takedowns and work in the clinch, to see just how good his all around game is...

The guy is big and fast, you dont see that combination a lot at HW.

This fight is easily a PPV or Fox level fight.

Tepid confidence is always confusing for me. Shouldn't he be thinking that no one can beat him when he's at his best? Maybe Cain beat it out of him, but I don't like hearing he's almost good enough.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Thread Information