+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rory MacDonald wants more action: If I'm healthy, I can fight at the drop of a pin

Default Rory MacDonald wants more action: If I'm healthy, I can fight at the drop of a pin

Rory MacDonald wants more action: If I'm healthy, I can fight at the drop of a pin

"I like to fight and I want to make it a point next year to take fights on shorter notice," he said. "It just works better for me and my mind set. I feel like lately Iíve been trying to do what everyone else does, and Iím not everybody else. Some people need eight weeks to get ready for a fight and I really donít think I do because of the way I look at my skills. I just need to be healthy. As long as Iím healthy I can fight at the drop of a pin. If you tell me, 'Rory, go fight that guy,' Iíll go do it. I donít need that time. I just need to be healthy."
    "There's so much to expand on in those times. If you have sit back and say you canít do this and you canít do that, youíre really taking a negative approach. I was doing that for a little while, but after that I jumped back on the horse. This is a time when I can show strength and stay focused and grow as a martial artist. I carried that with me until now and I think Iíve really improved a lot actually since the injury. So I think Iím going to improve even better in my next fight because of it."
    Just weeks earlier, Penn had rejected a challenge from Josh Koscheck, saying he wasn't returning to fight anytime soon. So it came as a surprise when Penn said that yes, he would be willing to face MacDonald, partly out his desire to avenge his UFC 94 defeat at the hands of Georges St-Pierre, a camp-mate of MacDonald's at Montreal's Tri-Star Gym.

If that seemed an odd rationalization for accepting the fight, it didn't bother MacDonald.

"I think heís a strange individual in that sense, yeah, because I really don't think anyone at Tri-Star gives a second thought to him," he said. "But whatever he needs to get in there to fight me, I donít care. Iím there to fight him because heís a body, and Iím excited to fight him. Heís a good fighter, and I think itíll be a good opportunity for me. He, on the other hand, I guess needs to prove a point to himself, and if thatís what he needs, thatís what he needs."
    "I would fight anybody whoís on testosterone or whatever," he said. "It does not bother me at all."
    "Everybodyís looking for an edge in athletics, and if people would just realize the biggest edge is up here," he says, pointing to his head, "they could show their best side. Thatís all I need. Yeah protein helps, but at the end of the day if youíre a fighter and ready to fight at this very second, itís all up here. And if you feel you need testosterone to make you better, youíre not going to be as good. I really donít think in such a high skill level sport, that strength is going to be the biggest issue. if you rely on strength in the sport, youíre going to be weeded out. Thereís going to be someone thatís more technical than you or stronger than you. So in this sport I really feel itís better to have more skills than strength. If you can have both, great. But you donít need to do that stuff. Itís unhealthy, itís stupid."
    "As a fighter you have to remember that weíre just dogs in this sport. Weíre not businessmen in my outlook," he said. "A lot of people view us now as businessmen. I disagree with that. Maybe in my outside life if I have other investments, thatís my business life, but this is fighting. Iíll always look at it like Iím a dog. I think if I stop looking at it like I do, I might not have the kind of success I do. Iím going to continue to be myself. Success and all that stuff will come. At the end of the day, Iím a fighter. If I stop acting or thinking like one, I might stop being a fighter and start being a businessman."
    Rory MacDonald wants more action: If I'm healthy, I can fight at the drop of a pin - MMA Fighting

there's a lot to like about Rory its just that he's fighting my favorite fighter next, so the back acne jokes are armed and ready

I like this attitude. A few of the current champs should be using Rory as an example of a champions attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by mmawolverine View Post
    there's a lot to like about Rory its just that he's fighting my favorite fighter next, so the back acne jokes are armed and ready
    That's it Rory keep it pimple...er, I mean simple.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

Yeah, yeah, the acne is because of the roids... Just ask Diaz lol

Seriously though, Rory is a future champ for sure. He's incredible well rounded and there are just no holes in his game. Anyone that stands across the cage from him is in a world of trouble.

I'd like to see him fight more often and build his record. I'd love to see a rematch with Condit.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Eh, Condit is top 5...Rory has yet to beat a top 10 guy who is an actual WW. I think a fight with Ellenberger or Koscheck makes sense.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Eh, Condit is top 5...Rory has yet to beat a top 10 guy who is an actual WW. I think a fight with Ellenberger or Koscheck makes sense.
    Good thinking. Kos called out BJ too so if (when) Rory beats BJ that fight would make sense. It would make for a good co-main event ppv or maybe main event on a fuel card.

Ellenberger would be a good fight too but I'd like to see Rory lay a beating into Koscheck

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

After condit gets beat by GSP i could see rory vs condit assuming rory beats bj. If rory didnt gas and the ref let the fight go on another what 6-8 seconds (not really sure the exact time) he would have won the decision against condit. If not condit maybe diaz when he gets back from suspension? imo hes still top 3 in the division but im a diaz fan so that could be why. I wouldnt complain with ellenberger or kos either.

Its nice to have a bunch of good fights at WW when a year and a half ago we were all saying there was nothing left for GSP at WW now theres tuns of excting fights to make

CM

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

I like his attitude. He wants to keep active.

Those would be great fights and a huge test... If he does start beating the better guys... more questions will arise as to if he will fight GSP or not.

I always wanted to see him against one of the better wrestlers who also has a solid standup game.

Ellenburger would be a tough fight for him.

Assuming Rory beats BJ...Who's his best matchup? I think they give Silva Ellenberger if he gets past Fitch.

Hendricks/Kampmann loser seems to be a bout right for Rory.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information