Dodson Wants to Be a Three-Weight-Class Champion and It Starts With the Flyweight Title

Unbeknownst to him at the time, Dodsonís fight against Da Silva had been deemed a No. 1 contenderís fight with the winner getting a crack at new UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson.

The news only served as more motivation to put a hurting on Da Silva on Oct. 5.

ďIíve got to step up my game and make sure I put him to sleep, and I just need to justify my case for being the No. 1 contender then,Ē Dodson said after hearing the news.

Thereís always a certain level of distraction heading into any fight, but in Dodsonís case everything just multiplied because of the title shot looming overhead. The longtime student of coaches Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn isnít letting it distract him at all, however, because he doesnít get the gold if heís served with silver this weekend.

In Dodsonís mind, heís still got a lot to prove before he can battle for the UFC flyweight title.

ďIím still thinking one fight at a time. I donít really even care that Iím going to be the No. 1 contender. All I want to know is how Iím preparing myself for Jussier Da Silva. I know heís a dangerous fighter, he was once considered the best flyweight in the world, and I want to make sure I can compete with the best flyweights in the world,Ē Dodson stated.

ďPeople have sat there and questioned me being in the top ten, questioned my abilities, question everything Iíve done, and question my jiu-jitsu. So, I want to make sure I can prove all those doubters and haters that sit there and have no faith in me, I want to make them believers.Ē
It makes it so much easier cause now I can start hunting for my gold. I want to be a champion in three weight classes, so I wanted to start with flyweight. Now Iíve got an opponent, Iíve got the opponent I want to fight,Ē said Dodson.

ďIíll work my way up to get there to get that title shot, get it, and then start moving up in the other weight classes as well.Ē
John Dodson Wants to Be a Three-Weight Class Champion and It Starts With the Flyweight Title | MMAWeekly.com