Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC on FX 5's Jeremy Stephens arrested, bout with Yves Edwards in jeopardy

Default UFC on FX 5's Jeremy Stephens arrested, bout with Yves Edwards in jeopardy

UFC on FX 5's Jeremy Stephens arrested, bout with Yves Edwards in jeopardy

UFC lightweight Jeremy Stephens might not be be competing at tonight's UFC on FX 5 event.

MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) has learned the Minneapolis Police Department arrested the hard-hitting lightweight this morning. He's being held at the Hennepin County Public Safety Facility.

Stephens has yet to be formally charged with a crime, and police officials were unable to reveal the reason for the arrest. Representatives for Stephens didn't return messages.

UFC officials could not be reached for comment.

Stephens (20-8 MMA, 7-6 UFC) had been expected to face Yves Edwards (41-18-1 MMA, 9-6 UFC) on the FUEL TV-broadcast preliminary card of UFC on FX 5, which takes place at Minneapolis' Target Center.

According to a Minneapolis Police Department representative, Stephens was arrested at the Marriott City Center Hotel, which is this week's UFC host hotel, and arrived at the Hennepin County Public Safety Facility at 10:44 a.m. CT local time. It's currently unknown when Stephens is scheduled to be released from the facility.

The 26-year-old Stephens has competed in the UFC since 2007, and his notable victories include knockouts of Rafael dos Anjos and Marcus Davis, as well as a decision win over Sam Stout.

If the contest is ultimately scrapped, a welterweight matchup between Mike Pierce and Aaron Simpson that was previously expected to stream on Facebook likely would be elevated to the evening's FUEL TV-broadcast preliminary card.
    UFC on FX 5's Jeremy Stephens arrested, bout with Yves Edwards in jeopardy | MMAjunkie.com

well ain't that some fuckin' Shit!
    That was the fight I was most anticipating.
    Guaranteed to see a KO in that fight.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Here's to hoping it's a misunderstanding of some sort (I'm being unusually optimistic today). It's bad enough this year with injuries putting fighters out. I guess we'll find out what he was arrested for in the very near future.

Also, if Stephens is out I wonder if they offer Tavares to fight Yves? I imagine Yves will get paid regardless, but maybe the UFC throws some extra coin their way instead of having 2 fights completely scraped?
    Last edited by nbm02ss; 10-05-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Dana just wrote "Don't listen to the media! Nobody ever told them Jeremy isn't fighting. He is fighting!!" on Facebook.
    Nope

Nobody is going to guess what he got arrested for?

I'm gonna go with....

He violated the Patriot Act.
    Or Domestic Violence.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Guess I better change my OTN picks....

7. Default

Jeremy Stephens Arrested on Outstanding Warrant; Bout at UFC on FX 5 in Jeopardy | MMAWeekly.com

UFC on FX 5 fighter Jeremy Stephens was arrested Friday morning in Minneapolis in connection to an outstanding warrant and his bout with Yves Edwards is currently in jeopardy.

Representatives of the Minneapolis Police Department confirmed to MMAWeekly.com on Friday that Stephens was arrested and taken into custody in connection with an outstanding warrant. Stephens’ arrest was first reported by MMAJunkie.com.

Unfortunately the police could offer no further information in regards to what the outstanding warrant was in reference to. Stephens is originally from Iowa, which borders Minnesota to the south, so it could be from an incident in his previous residency in the area, but no details were available at the time of the arrest.

Stephens is currently being held at the Hennepin County Public Safety Facility, according to an online database for the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Department.

Calls to Stephens’ representatives and UFC officials were not immediately returned.

It’s unclear at this time if Stephens will be released or even allowed to compete at tonight’s UFC on FX 5 card against Edwards. UFC officials have made no announcement about the arrest or the bout as of yet.

UPDATE: Stephens’ arrest has now been updated by the Minneapolis Police Department and he has been listed as in custody without bail due to an out of state felony charge. A further update indicated the arrest warrant is from the state of Iowa.

Shortly after the Minneapolis PD updated its arrest record on Stephens to indicate he was being held without bail, UFC president Dana White tweeted, “Don’t listen to the media! Nobody ever told them Jeremy isn’t fighting. He is fighting!!”

Neither the police department or other UFC officials added any further comment to the situation.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Facebook says their prelims have been cancelled. Prelims now start at 2pm on Fuel or which ever Fox channel you Americans get them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Facebook says their prelims have been cancelled. Prelims now start at 2pm on Fuel or which ever Fox channel you Americans get them on.
    so that's why it wont load up the fights lol

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Nobody is going to guess what he got arrested for?

I'm gonna go with....

He violated the Patriot Act.
    Or Domestic Violence.
    i'm going with hillbilly Heroin AKA pills of some kind

Thread Information