Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva already near weight, White says Bonnar will be crazy bigger

Default Anderson Silva already near weight, White says Bonnar will be crazy bigger

Anderson Silva already near weight, White says Bonnar will be crazy bigger

Tatame magazine is reporting that over a week out from UFC in Rio 3 is only two pounds over the lightheavyweight limit of 205.

The fighters are entering the phase of drastic cut weight for UFC Rio 3 on October 13. Some even lose weight 10kg (22 lbs) in a week. The case of Anderson Silva, however, is different. The middleweight champion is fighting in the main event fight against Stephan Bonnar in the light heavyweight category (up to 93kg/205lbs). He is already very close to the ideal weight.

Rogťrio Caműes, one of the leaders of the X-Gym academy and Silva's conditioning coach noted how tranquil the time is without without the need to cut weight.

"Anderson is only two pounds overweight, so now we are ready to consider the rest," said Camoes. "On Friday we will have a meeting with the doctor who takes care of his body to see how best to cut what remains, but he is very strong, with a job well done and a very good power. He usually trains at 93kg (205 lbs), cuts to 84kg (185 lbs), and then fights at about 90kg (198 lbs)."

Anderson Silva agreed to face Stephan Bonnar with less than a month of preparation to save a card hampered by injuries. Neither the little preparation time, nor the fact the fight is at 205 worries Caműes, who ses an advantage for Silva by already having gone through a long period of training to face Chael Sonnen.

"Anderson comes this fight against Sonnen, when he made eight weeks of muscular work, and was based on strength training. He remained active, then just gave continuity to what has been done and the coaches specify details upon Bonnar. This is the third fight in the UFC for Anderson at 93kg (205) and he is well suited."

Meanwhile, UFC President Dana White is predicting that Bonnar will be massively larger than Silva.

"He's huge, he's going to be so much bigger than Anderson in this fight that it's going to be crazy," White told ESPN.

"People don't realise what a huge Rocky story this is. Stephan has been so close for so long. He's been waiting for a big fight to come up and then, boom, this comes up.

"Stephan called us to ask for this fight. He's on a four-fight win streak and I know how much this means to him. He's going after it and this is the biggest fight of his life.

"Anderson has fought at 205 before, you saw what he did with Forrest, but this is a completely different fight. It's a dangerous fight for Anderson."
    Anderson Silva already near weight, White says Bonnar will be crazy bigger - Mixed Martial Arts News

Bonnar: I could shock the world

ďThe odds are stacked against and no oneís giving me a chance and I kind of like it that way. Itís no pressure on me,Ē Bonnar stated. ďI just know what I can do. Iím not the type thatís always fixed on outcomes. Iím more of the type that asks God to give me the strength to do my absolute best in there. I mean look at every fight Iíve ever had, always had, Iíve been hit with lots of big shots, but I get up and keep coming.Ē

For Bonnar, making it further than Forrest did against Silva isnít his concern. He just wants to carry on like any warrior would and hopes to give Silva the fight of his life. ďIím not to fixed on the outcome so much. Iím just going to give him hell and give him everything Iíve got in there and do my absolute best. And weíll see, that can lead to a victory,Ē said Bonnar.

Since fighting Griffin in the TUF 1 finale, Bonnar said nothing has topped that for him, until now. ĒItís a defining moment of my whole life,Ē Bonnar explained. ďThis is like the culmination of it all. I really think itís all meant to be, itís perfect it really is. It feels like all the stars are aligning just like it did on that magical night for the UFC back when I fought Forrest for the first time. I could shock the world.Ē
    Bonnar: I could shock the world - Mixed Martial Arts News

If Bonnar can stick around for a few rounds, this could be a really fun fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.

What weight does Bonnar cut from? I thought Anderson usually weighs between 220-230 anyway. I was thinking the weight difference would be negligible on fight night. Bonnar may be a little bigger, but not crazy bigger, not like the Silva - GSP fight if it happens.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Back for their second fight, I'd read that Griffin enters camp about 240, and cuts from about 225-220; and that Bonnar was about 5lbs lighter throughout.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

"People don't realise what a huge Rocky story this is. Stephan has been so close for so long. He's been waiting for a big fight to come up and then, boom, this comes up.
    People realize what a huge no sense fight this is.
    I find ridiculous when somebody love so much to compare Rocky with some real life situation when in reality there is nothing in common.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

"Anderson is only two pounds overweight, so now we are ready to consider the rest," said Camoes. "On Friday we will have a meeting with the doctor who takes care of his body to see how best to cut what remains,
    is it really that important to consult with a doctor on how to cut two pounds?
    granted im pretty clueless about the whole cutting thing, is this something that needs to go thru a doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    People realize what a huge no sense fight this is.
    I find ridiculous when somebody love so much to compare Rocky with some real life situation when in reality there is nothing in common.
    The funny and sad, yet true thing about it is it's always Anderson Silva fights which never make any sense. Most of his opponents weren't deserving of the opportunity to fight him and the ones that were, his manager and himself did a lot of whining to avoid such fights.

And Of course this fight makes no sense but no big name LHW will face Silva on short notice. And you have to admit that Soares and Silva would have refused guys like Texierea, Gustaffson, Phil Davis. Bonnar was the only willing guy to fight Silva and the fight was accepted becAuse of the lack of threat he represents. I respect Bonnar for stepping up to fight in match he has VERY little chance of winning.

Bonnar is 6'4 and IMO not much bigger than Forrest. So saying he will be alot bigger than Anderson Is a bit off. Even If Bonnar is bigger he sure wont be quicker. I do agree that Bonnar reminds me of Rocky. The reason is cause he takes so many punches to the face and Im sure it wont be any different when he fights Silva.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

I dont buy it... I heard Anderson cuts from 280...

So unfair... Anderson going after these smaller fighters.

If Forrest at 6'3, really does cut from 240 as we've always heard over the years, it's not hard to imagine Bonnar cutting from the same weight. He's 6'4 and looks more muscular than Griffin.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was 25lbs heavier than Silva at fightime. That will certainly help with his top control if he manages to get the fight there.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

Thread Information