+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UFC 154 and the lessons we have not learned

Default UFC 154 and the lessons we have not learned

It really seems to me that Dana and Co haven't learned a damned thing from the Jon Jones debacle of UFC 151. That card has ZERO selling power outside of the main event in a way that is evident moreso than even some of the other stinkers they have produced. You would think that 1.) After looking like idiots from 151 having only 1 fight to carry the card and 2.) Both of these fighters are on long lay offs (one coming back from major surgery) so the likely hood for an injury during camp would be increased in my mind..the UFC would be a BIT more cautious with the quality of their main cards for PPVs. Who's Dana gonna bitch about if this title fight gets scrapped due to injury?

Fuckin Jon Jones.
    LJS-NEMS

Good point... The UFC knows that the main event is what sells the cards...

they can get away with it for the bigger fights, with big names involved... but what happens when things dont go as planned... The cards just arent as stacked anymore... Hell Fox 4 and 5 are better than most PPVs imo.

I disagree, I think they are covered in this case. If Condit or GSP get hurt, then Kampmann/Condit, Kampmann/GSP, Hendricks/Condit, or Hendricks/GSP are all capable of headlining. That being said, Condit vs Kampmann/Hendricks would not be a big selling PPV, but it would be as good or better than Wanderlei/Franklin, Faber/Barao, etc.

^ Agreed. It was even discussed in the press when they were booking it: If GSP didn't recover fast enough/got injured, they would consider bumping up either Kampmann or Hendricks to a title shot.

As an MMA fan, this is a fun card. And it's only been weeks since 151, there's no way they could have jungled cards, re-branded campaigns, etc. enough to add more star power without damaging other commitments. Like it or not, it'll take a while to get depth back into the cards. In the meantime, I'm happy with frequent cards of great fights even if not every card has a ton of stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    ^ Agreed. It was even discussed in the press when they were booking it: If GSP didn't recover fast enough/got injured, they would consider bumping up either Kampmann or Hendricks to a title shot.

As an MMA fan, this is a fun card. And it's only been weeks since 151, there's no way they could have jungled cards, re-branded campaigns, etc. enough to add more star power without damaging other commitments. Like it or not, it'll take a while to get depth back into the cards. In the meantime, I'm happy with frequent cards of great fights even if not every card has a ton of stars.
    So you really believe that if GSP were to pull out of the fight for some reason, that the UFC could still sell this card with a Kampmann vs Condit as a main event along with the other 4 other fights??? This card would be worse than the free ones they put on TV in my opinion. Sakara vs Cote would probably be the best fight.
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

Quote Originally Posted by FedortheCan View Post
    Sakara vs Cote would probably be the best fight.
    Nah, that fight is not happening. Sakara is going to pull out.

154 is actually a bit better than UFC 151, but I agree that aside of the main event, there is nothing really important there.

And yes, the UFC on Fox cards are much better than PPVs.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

There is probably going to be another fight added to the card anyway, thugjitsu needs another fight, there is only so many superstars that can fight and train so often meanwhile the rest of the fighters need fights, so get used to the quantity of fight cards and losing some big fights along the way, really as fight fans we should be grateful and just hope that the no name guys start stealing the show more often, its all good. i personally do not want mma to go backwards or stay stagnant.

Will it sell well if the main event falls through, NO.
    Is this card still really good without the main event, YES!

Kampmann vs Hendricks - YES! That's all I have to say for this fight. YES!
    Cote vs Sakara - a good scrappy fight that win surely end drastically... if it even starts.
    Stout vs Makdessi - Stout knocks people out as easy as breathing.
    "Wonderboy Thompson vs Yousef - Wonderboy is always fun to watch!
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by FedortheCan View Post
    So you really believe that if GSP were to pull out of the fight for some reason, that the UFC could still sell this card with a Kampmann vs Condit as a main event along with the other 4 other fights??? This card would be worse than the free ones they put on TV in my opinion. Sakara vs Cote would probably be the best fight.
    I assume they would if for no other reason than canceling 2 out of 5 cards seems problematic. And there are still a lot of fights that I'd like to see:

Kampmann/Hendrick v Condit would be awesome
    They'd try and bring a last minute in for the other Kampmann/Hendricks
    I'm pumped to see Griggs at 205
    Carmont/Lawlor is going to be revealing

The main card should be a lot of fun even without stars. Hominick is the only fight I'm not really interested in, and that's mostly because it's been tough watching him slide.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Forgot Kampman/Hendricks was on that card as well.... That would help out a lot...

But GSP is the real selling point. If Condit got hurt, it would do well, but if GSP got injured... the card would suffer greatly.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information