Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benson Henderson says Jon Jones got a ‘raw deal’

Default Benson Henderson says Jon Jones got a ‘raw deal’

Benson Henderson says Jon Jones got a ‘raw deal’

"Jones definitely got a raw deal," he emphasized last week after throwing out the first pitch at a Diamondbacks game. "All of the onus, all of it, was put on his shoulders. Everything. What about the co-main event? What about bringing in other guys? What about the guys getting injured? There was a lot. To place everything on his shoulders, I think, was very unfair. He's fully within his rights to turn down a fight.

"Would he have won? Yeah, he probably would have won. Would it have been a smart decision to make? No, probably not. So I definitely felt bad for him."

While their circumstances may vary, several fighters have been outed for turning down fights since Jones' fateful decision, and none of them have become public enemy No. 1, a fact which Henderson is very aware of.

"Now look at it," Henderson pointed out. "How many guys [are turning down fights?]

"Some guys are turning down fights, short-notice fights, two week's notice fights, eight day's notice fights, five week's notice fights because it's not enough time to fully prepare.

"The rash of guys turning down fights," he continued. "It happened before Jones. It wasn't like it's all of a sudden, it just happens out of nowhere. It happened before Jones decided not to fight Chael Sonnen. There were plenty of guys who turned down fights off short notice. I think just the way it was played up, the way it was built in the media, and by certain people, it made it a very negative connotation, to where, ‘Oh, he turned the fight down. He ruined these fighters' lives. He ruined all the fans and he screwed them over.' I don't think that's really so much the case. Everyone has their part to play. It's not just Jones himself in there, all by himself. It always takes two to dance."
    "I definitely don't begrudge anybody for [turning down a fight]. Whatever the case may be. You definitely always have to do what's best for you and your career. Take care of your family, pay the bills."
    Champion to champion: Benson Henderson says Jon Jones got a ?raw deal? - MMA Fighting

Bendo you had better stop this talk, I'm starting to become a fan. I am with him, glad someone isn't just whining about it. Also this is the first fight of Bendo's that I'll be rooting for him!
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

Oh Bendo.....you are going to have to suffer the wrath of the Jon Jones Haters....may God have mercy on your soul....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by cnlclink View Post
    Bendo you had better stop this talk, I'm starting to become a fan. I am with him, glad someone isn't just whining about it. Also this is the first fight of Bendo's that I'll be rooting for him!
    I became a fan of his when I found out he was apparently immune to guillitines.... perhaps he really breaths out of his ass who knows.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

But but Bendo is one of my favorite fighters but fuck Jon jones but but........

Quote Originally Posted by zana1126 View Post
    I prefer to watch my grandmother fucking.
    Whatever floats your boat man...

Big difference though, Jon Jones was scheduled to do his work on the specific date and did not, those other fighters that are declining fights don't even have a fight scheduled...thats just like when ur boss offers you extra hours and you decline them (which you have every right to decline) how is that the same thing? Dammit Bendo.....

Quote Originally Posted by d-low View Post
    Big difference though, Jon Jones was scheduled to do his work on the specific date and did not, those other fighters that are declining fights don't even have a fight scheduled...thats just like when ur boss offers you extra hours and you decline them (which you have every right to decline) how is that the same thing? Dammit Bendo.....
    Umm Jones was scheduled to fight Dan Henderson and Dan was unable to uphold his end due to his injury. Big difference.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Exit stage right.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Umm Jones was scheduled to fight Dan Henderson and Dan was unable to uphold his end due to his injury. Big difference.
    Umm Jon Jones signed a contract to fight that night, he declined based on the fear of losing. Hendo got injured. Big difference
    Last edited by d-low; 10-08-2012 at 03:43 AM.

If Benson was on the 151 undercard, as an up-and-comer with a family to feed and bills to pay...would he be backing Jones's decision making?

Thread Information