Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White on fans booing flyweight fights: It's weird; I don't even know what to say

I think the problem being is more that the fighters are so quick they tend to defend/avoid things going on most of the time and no real momentum by either fighter gets built up.

The title fight was pretty good and had alot technique in it but a good portion of it was the them canceling each other out. Also still going to take the lighter weight classes a while to get the fans behind them more as they haven't really been promoted or used in the right spots. Course the 125 division no idea how they sell it in the long run with such a small talent pool.

It's funny seeing Dana defend the title match at 152 after hearing him go on about not leaving it in the hands of the judges and finishing fights.

I think a lot of fans look at 125 lb fighters the same way they look at the WNBA. When they watch a professional sport, people want to be in awe of the size and athleticism of the athletes. They don't want to see something they and their buddy from down the street can do, like the power lay-up fest that is the WNBA.

It's no secret why heavyweights and light heavyweight fighters get the most attention. People want to be impressed physically by the fighters, not watch somebody the size of your 12 year old kid fight. People want to see a rare athlete built like a Lesnar or an Overeem.

I had a feeling this would be the case when UFC started adding all of these lower weight classes. You can't expect fans outside of the hardcore MMA crowd to get into those classes. And guess what UFC, the casual MMA crowd is what you are trying to rope in.

Pat Berry is a boss, the guy hes talking about are the same guys that go to the bar a lot of the time and scream and make a scene in their tapout shirts...thats the reason i watch all the cards at home now.

The fight wasnt terrible, those kind of fights happen in all divisions not just in the flyweight division. Dodson packs some power at 125 which is nice to see but i dont see him beating mighty mouse.

CM

Great, someone else trying to leave their mark by typing initials after every post.

Badass. It was quite annoying to hear some fans booing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Great, someone else trying to leave their mark by typing initials after every post.
    not at all, i help run NHL Forum on facebook, i always end my msgs or posts with CM just kind of a habit...

CM

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    The worst part about live events are the fans.

rh
    Those same beer drinking idiots are the reason the UFC is doing so well. Casual fans dominate MMA and usually they just want to see a quick finish or an epic fight like Shogun Vs Henderson.

Most could careless about a technical fight. They don't share the same passion nor appreciation for fights like hardcore fans.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    I think a lot of fans look at 125 lb fighters the same way they look at the WNBA. When they watch a professional sport, people want to be in awe of the size and athleticism of the athletes. They don't want to see something they and their buddy from down the street can do, like the power lay-up fest that is the WNBA.

You think you and your buddies could fight like Dodson or Johnson?

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Those same beer drinking idiots are the reason the UFC is doing so well. Casual fans dominate MMA and usually they just want to see a quick finish or an epic fight like Shogun Vs Henderson.

Most could careless about a technical fight. They don't share the same passion nor appreciation for fights like hardcore fans.
    RD is right, I dont think we are ever going to get away from the drunken casual fans at live shows who act a fool.

Thread Information