33 86.84%
  • Frankie "The Answer" Edgar

3 7.89%
  • Benson "Smooth" Henderson

1 2.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is the LW GOAT?

Default Who is the LW GOAT?

Saw this thread on Sherdog this morning and think its a pretty good topic. Alot of other divisions its pretty clear cut, but LW fighters have been around for 10+ years and theres not alot of talk about it.

So here are the possible contenders imo, anymore feel free to add. Im going to try to make this as detailed as possible because I really think theres some good topics/debates here, but obviously most of this is just my own opinion.

Takanori Gomi- 33-8 Currently.
    Shoot LW Champ(1 Defense), Pride LW champ(1 Defense), 2005 Pride LW GP winner.

Holds notable wins over Dokonjonosuke Mishima, Jens Pulver, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Hayato Sakurai, Marcus Aurelio, Mitsuhiro Ishda And Tyson Griffin.

HighPoint(s):Hayato Sakurai, Tatsuya Kawajiri
    LowPoint(s): Marcus Aurelio 1, Nick Diaz, Sergey Golyaev...........

Other accomplishments: Went 24-2 during his first 7 years, combining a 14 fight and a 10 fight win streak.

Bj Penn-16-8-2 Currently.
    UFC WW Champ(0 Defenses), UFC LW Champ(3 defenses)

Holds notable wins over Carl Uno, Matt Serra, Takanori Gomi, Matt Hughes x2, Joe Stevenson, Sean Sherk, Kenny Florian and Diego Sanchez

HighPoint(s): Matt Hughes 1, Joe Stevenson.
    LowPoint(s):GSP 2, Frankie Edgar 2

Other Accomplishments: Has fought for a UFC belt 11 times, First non Brazilian to win Gold at the Mundials blac belt division.

Frankie Edgar-14-3-1 Currently
    Reality Fighting LW Champ(0 Defenses), UFC LW Champ(2 Defenses, 1 "Retained")

Hold Notable wins over Jim Miller, Tyson Griffin, Sean Sherk, Bj Penn x2, and Gray Maynard.

HighPoint(s): Penn2, Gray Maynard3.
    Low Point(s):Benson Henderson 1 and 2

Other Accomplishments: 5 bonuses in his last 7 fights, Fight of the year award for Edgar/Maynard 2

Benson Henderson-17-2 Currently
    WEC Interim LW champ, WEC LW Champ(1 Defense), UFC LW Champ (1 Defense)

Holds Notable wins over Anthony Njokuani, Shane Roller, Donald Cerrone x2, Jamie Varner, Jim Miller, Clay Guida and Frankie Edgar x2

HighPoint(s): Donald Cerrone 2, Frankie Edgar 1 and 2
    LowPoints(s):Anthony Pettis

Other Accomplishments: 5 bonuses in his last 7 fights, Fight of the year award for Henderson/Pettis
    Last edited by LefthookStcrook; 10-07-2012 at 04:35 AM.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

Florian was. I dunno what weight class hes fighting anymore though. BJ is probably going to retire soon but I guess its him.

I find no one stands out as of yet. Might have a more definitive answer in 5 years. Gomi's my fave, but I wouldn't classify him as the GOAT either. Just way too soon to dub Frankie or Bendo as it either. Penn was never consistent, can't really say he is either. And Florian lost every title fight he was in.

I got no answer for this one.

Really should be no discussion about Penn should be the consensus choice but with him wanting to fight at 170 and walking away for a bit it's hurt his legacy a lot.

I think clearly its Penn, but attainable for some one to eclipse what he has done in the division. But when you factor everything he's done, I don't think there will ever be another lw to win the ww title.

its bj or bust, if edgar had gotten the nod in the bendo rematch like he should have id say it was close, everyone else is way behind, these are true 155lb kings not dehydraters

im predicting nate takes the belt from bendo and keeps it a really long time

None of the above. there is no GOAT as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    I think clearly its Penn, but attainable for some one to eclipse what he has done in the division. But when you factor everything he's done, I don't think there will ever be another lw to win the ww title.
    I can deffinetly agree that no other LW will win the WW title, I dont know If im sold of Penn being the Goat though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynnja View Post
    I find no one stands out as of yet. Might have a more definitive answer in 5 years. Gomi's my fave, but I wouldn't classify him as the GOAT either. Just way too soon to dub Frankie or Bendo as it either. Penn was never consistent, can't really say he is either. And Florian lost every title fight he was in.

I got no answer for this one.
    It is a tricky question, one that you think should be easily answered or atleast have a couple good options for. But the fact is out of the 10-12 or however many years the LW division has been around, its still left us with this question.

Quote Originally Posted by mmawolverine View Post
    its bj or bust, if edgar had gotten the nod in the bendo rematch like he should have id say it was close, everyone else is way behind, these are true 155lb kings not dehydraters

im predicting nate takes the belt from bendo and keeps it a really long time
    I went against the grain and said Frankie, If he would've beat Bendo then I think it'd be a solid case. Its an absolute cluster-fuck considering Edgar>Penn and Bendo>Edgar but Bendo cant be Goat just as of yet.

Is Bendo technically the better fighter as of right now? Absolutley. But I look at beating Bj Penn at LW very highly, Ill admit that right now.

I think if you compare BJs and Frankies "Noteable Wins" side by side in the order they happened and compare each opponent, Frankie got him.

Sean Sherk imo was higher ranked when Edgar fought him, compared to Joe Stevenson when Bj fought him. Sherk was the champ, lost to Penn, got a big win over Tyson Griffin then lost to Edgar. Joe Stevenson got his shot at Penn by beating Guillard and Pellegrino.

Bj Penn was easily ranked higher when Edgar beat him twice then Sean Sherk and Kenny Florian were when Penn beat them.

And Gray has been a top LW for years, and got his shot by beating Jim Miller, Roger Huerta, Nate Diaz and Kenny Florian when Edgar beat him. While Sanchez got his shot at Penn by beating Joe Stevenson and Clay Guida only.

Its definetly a fucked up situation, If Bendo can get a win or two more over a top 5er then I say hes right in the mix...But Tbh I cant see Bendo beating Nate and then beating Gray.

None of the above. there is no GOAT as of yet.
    Do you think its because the division hasnt had enough time to grow? Or was it just the recent outcomes? Because the division has been around for a damn long time, and If Jon Jones can make a case for GOAT after three top 5 fights, why cant anyone else?

13-4-1 in sig/av

A problem with Penn is that he fought at WW a lot, so it depends on how you want to define it. If half of a guys best fights are at a different weight class, it's hard to say he's the best at that weight. I think Edgar was the best LW so far, but it's still pretty open.

Zombie is born!

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    A problem with Penn is that he fought at WW a lot, so it depends on how you want to define it. If half of a guys best fights are at a different weight class, it's hard to say he's the best at that weight. I think Edgar was the best LW so far, but it's still pretty open.
    Myself I say title defenses at that perticular weight class should weigh more then anything else, then fights at that weight class, followed by fights at other weight classes, ending with other accomplishments.

Going by that I still think Frankie has the best LW run as of right now

13-4-1 in sig/av

Thread Information