Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dave Batista MMA debut Results

Not bad for a 40+ yr old making his MMA debut (not good either!)
    How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if woodchucks could chuck wood?

Kimbo vs. Bautista! PLEASE someone make this monumental freak show come to fruition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Bowling Shoe Ugly.

The commentary was probably the worst I've ever heard, complete mispronounciations of fighters' names(and not unknowns, but name UFC guys like Tim Silva- yeah, SILVA) and the announcer called TKO's stoppages via "excessive unanswered strikes".

They even put over Batista's WWE title wins and the fact that he's wrestled over ~GASP~ THREE HUNDRED pro wrestling matches, which in reality is basically the number of matches a WWE wrestler does in oh....a year. Oh and they said that Batista had turned DOWN offers from UFC and SF to "choose his own path", seriously GTFO.

Total joke, Batista got clipped by a dude who looks like what Scott Ferrozzo would if he "let himself go"(let that shit sink in for a minute). Any top 100 HW could take Batista and I can appreciate that he's just debuting, but if he wants the hype of main eventing, he has to be ALOT better than that. I'm probably the most serious pro wrestling fan on this forum and I completely hated this garbage.

Nice to see Howard and The Crow on the card, but WHOA was that ever piss poor.
    Thanks for posting this. You have saved me from watching the video. I'm already embarrassed and feeling awkward just from reading this.
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

Quote Originally Posted by rodneykm View Post
    I really, really, really hate to defend someone like Dave but I think people are forgetting this was his first damn MMA fight. He wasn't going to be in there with someone who's a top notch fighter.
    I absolutely agree with you, however Batista chose to use his first MMA fight as a highly publicized pay per view in which he was the marquee fighter. Given that he was on the poster and the entire card was based around "WWE's Batista's MMA debut", using his fame to garner attention to the card leaves him open for criticism.

4. Default

I don't think Dave will ever fight again. Usually, when watching most amateurs in their first bout, you can tell what background they come from. One area of "strength", whether it is wrestling, BJJ, boxing, MT, etc...

If you had told me that Dave was just some last minute replacement they picked from the crowd, because he swore up and down he "trains UFC", I would have believed it.
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by rabidsponge View Post
    granted its not super high profiled fighters, but how is a match like this even sanctioned? lucero has like 45 fights and batista was making his debut??
    Lucero has a sub-500 record against mediocre competition (that's being generous) & appears to be totally out of shape. Bautaista trains/owns a Gracie gym & is ripped. It definitely didn't look like mismatch physically & one of the Gracies could vouch for his skills if need be.

Plus, he has over 300~! pro wrestling matches.
    “Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.”

Dave Bautista: Stephan Bonnar 'beat the living hell out of me' after Anderson Silva booking | MMAjunkie.com
    Former WWE star Dave "Batista" Bautista didn't get into MMA to prove anything to fans.

He simply wanted to prove something to himself – that despite being 43 years old, he could still do it.

But to do that, he needed to prove something to his training partners. That got all the harder when one of them, Stephan Bonnar, got booked to meet perhaps the greatest MMA fighter in history.

Bonnar was one of Bautista's training partners at Gracie Tampa ahead of his pro debut, which took place Saturday. Facing 46-fight veteran super heavyweight Vince Lucero (22-23-1), Bautista (1-0) survived an early flurry of punches before posting a first-round TKO victory. The bout headlined the "CES MMA: Real Pain" pay-per-view event at Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, R.I.

Bautista went through an eight-week camp for the fight. It got a bit tougher a few weeks ago when Bonnar learned he'd be coming out of semi-retirement to fight MMA's pound-for-pound kingpin, UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, at this coming weekend's UFC 153 event in Brazil.

"I don't know if [working with me] energized him, but the day he got the call for Anderson Silva, he came to practice the next day, and he beat the living hell out of me," Bautista told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) after the fight. "And I think it's because he put his game face on. It was a different Stephan Bonnar."

Bonnar's fight comes Saturday in a non-title light-heavyweight bout. It's the fan favorite's biggest career opportunity, and it came on short notice. But Bonnar found time to call Bautista before his fight.

"I think Stephan Bonnar is going to be a little disappointed," he said. "He called me, and the two things he said was, 'Keep your hands up and your chin down.' And I did neither of those things. I think I was so nervous. ... I was terrified walking out there."

Still, he composed himself, absorbed Lucero's early blows, and scored a double-leg takedown. After taking the back-mount position, he rained down punches to force a TKO stoppage.

It wasn't exactly the most technical or promising MMA start, but Bautista got the win. Still, he didn't need it to feel this latest endeavor was worthwhile.

"My head coach, Josh Rafferty, said, 'We're all so proud of you, you went through a two-month camp, you never bitched, you never complained, you showed up for every practice, you never asked for a practice off, you never asked for a round off, and you gave everything you have,'" he said. "And that meant more to me than getting my hand raised tonight."

Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 10-07-2012 at 12:32 PM.

7. Default

"I think Stephan Bonnar is going to be a little disappointed," he said. "He called me, and the two things he said was, 'Keep your hands up and your chin down.' And I did neither of those things. I think I was so nervous. ... I was terrified walking out there."

"My head coach, Josh Rafferty, said, 'We're all so proud of you, you went through a two-month camp, you never bitched, you never complained, you showed up for every practice, you never asked for a practice off, you never asked for a round off, and you gave everything you have,'" he said. "And that meant more to me than getting my hand raised tonight."
    Suck on that you fucking haters.

Jesus christ. His pro debut and everyone is talking like he needs to be fighting JDS. Get off your high horses already.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Suck on that you fucking haters.

Jesus christ. His pro debut and everyone is talking like he needs to be fighting JDS. Get off your high horses already.
    Was he making "pro debut" money? Was he in a "pro debut" position on the card like the prelims or on the undercard?

He was highlighted as the main event, he runs his own MMA gym and looked like shit. He got paid well and with that comes scrutiny.

9. Default

He has a name that was exploited just like Kimbo Slice.

He was highlighted as the main event, he runs his own MMA gym and looked like shit. He got paid well and with that comes scrutiny.
    AND HE WON! Against a guy with almost 50 pro fights. Enough said.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

I don't really know who Bautista is but he seems decent enough in that interview; and down to earth.

I really don't think it's fair to hold him accountable for being a novice because a smaller org gave him the headline. Blame the org, sure. But Batista is just looking for a place to compete and a payday. Seems like he did both with reasonable success and attitude. What's the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Thread Information