Thread: Gabriel Gonzaga Will Serve as Back-Up at UFC 153 In Case of Heavyweight Injury

Default Gabriel Gonzaga Will Serve as Back-Up at UFC 153 In Case of Heavyweight Injury

Gabriel Gonzaga Will Serve as Back-Up at UFC 153 In Case of Heavyweight Injury

ollowing an injury to Geronimo Dos Santos that forced him out of UFC 153, Brazilian Gabriel Gonzaga is not expected to fight at the upcoming show in his home country.

The word comes from sources close to Gonzaga’s camp who told MMAWeekly.com late Saturday that the former heavyweight title contender would be traveling to Brazil, but is not expected to compete on the card.

Instead, Gonzaga will be on stand-by as a last minute replacement option should either heavyweight in the Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Dave Herman fight suddenly become unable to compete.
    Gabriel Gonzaga Will Serve as Back-Up at UFC 153 In Case of Heavyweight Injury | MMAWeekly.com

I think this is something that the UFC are going to need to start doing on a more regular basis. With injuries plaguing the sport for the last year especially, this really is the only remedy that I can see.

The issue, however, is that if back-up fighters have a training camp in case they are called up to fight, they will still have to pay their trainers/cover their costs, something that is difficult if they are NOT called up, and therefore go unpaid.

I guess the UFC need to assess whether the cost of digging into their pockets to help support back-up fighters financially is equal (or more than) the financial reward they get in return when they are able to 'save' fights/cards that would have otherwise had to have been cancelled.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

I don't wish to see Herman hurt, but I would much rather see Big Nog vs. Gonzaga.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    I don't wish to see Herman hurt, but I would much rather see Big Nog vs. Gonzaga.
    Yeah I would love to see big nog vs gonzaga.

I keep hoping that they make DC vs Gonzaga. That would have potential to be one hell of a scrap.

Napao/Big Nog would be great, I've wanted to see that fight for years.

This would appear that they haven't lined Gonzaga up to replace Mir. Pat Barry is seeming more and more likely.

unless he doesnt fight at 153 (gonzaga) then he will have a full training camp and dana would owe him a favor for being a "just incase replacement" so he could still face DC. If not him im still saying Bigfoot vs DC 2 because it makes sense for the rankings, but id still watch DC vs pat berry. Pat berry could do infomercials and i would tune in lol

CM

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    unless he doesnt fight at 153 (gonzaga) then he will have a full training camp and dana would owe him a favor for being a "just incase replacement" so he could still face DC. If not him im still saying Bigfoot vs DC 2 because it makes sense for the rankings, but id still watch DC vs pat berry. Pat berry could do infomercials and i would tune in lol

CM
    That makes alot of sense, but if Cormier's doing a camp to prep for say Napao, that's a helluva lot different than a Barry or Hunt.

Unless they've told Cormier privately who he's fighting, it feels as though they're dragging him along.

Given that Mitrione turned the fight down, it would appear to me that ZUFFA is going pretty far down on the depth chart in finding a replacement for Mir.

I personally think Gonzaga is a massive sleeper to put up against Cormier, his jits is so good, he's got power in his hands, he's a big HW who has stated he's going to focus his game on grappling, which is scary.

Thread Information