Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volkmann fighting for bonus, not 'fat turds' on the Net

Default Volkmann fighting for bonus, not 'fat turds' on the Net

Volkmann fighting for bonus, not 'fat turds' on the Net

NCAA Div I wrestler-turned-UFC lightweight Jacob Volkmann takes on Shane Roller this Friday night at UFC on FX 5 in front of a hometown crowd at the Target Center in Minneapolis, MN. The two were originally set to meet at UFC 151, but when Jones turned down a short-notice fight against replacement Chael Sonnen, the entire event was cancelled and Volkmann vs. Roller was moved back a month later.

With Volkmann coming into the fight on the heels of a first-round submission loss to Paul Sass, and with Roller having lost three of his last four, this very well could be a must-win fight for both fighters to remain in the UFC.

“It is a must win,” Volkmann told theScore.com. “I don’t know about getting cut, but because I have bills to pay.”

“I’ve been in the hospital with my son and it’s going to be a large expense,” the 32-year old said. “He had a bout with asthma and we had to take him into the E.R. to spend the night.”

Volkmann said that the cancelled event cost him a lot of money, and as the father of three children who went back to school this past month, not getting his show money when he thought he was going to get it has hurt him financially.

“I still plan on pickpocketing Jon Jones and taking the money I lost on my fight,” Volkmann said.

“The irritating part is that I spent money on plane tickets. I bought two corner’s plane tickets, and now I have to do another month of training for this fight."

“I don’t know if I’d call it an extended training camp,” he said of the extra month. “It’s more like two training camps put together. I had to gain my weight back because I was pretty close to weight just before September.”

“It better be exciting. I think it’s going to be exciting,” he said of the fight with Roller. “I don’t understand why people say my fights are boring. It’s just a different style. People don’t understand the technical style and then other people don’t like my fights and write on the Internet and it really frustrates me. People that understand fighting, that understand there’s technique behind what I’m doing, they’re the ones who think the fights are exciting.

“You know there’s some fat turds out there having his heyday because he has a forum and wants to write some bad stuff about me, but he doesn’t understand the sport. I really don’t care about those guys.”

“The goal is to get on top of Roller and try to control him from the top position. I’ve got the d’arce choke, armbars, kimuras, and plenty of submissions. Obviously there’s pressure (to finish) because there’s the post-fight bonuses they give out, so it’d be nice to get a little bonus.”
    Volkmann fighting for bonus, not 'fat turds' on the Net - Mixed Martial Arts News

So...The guy who attempts many subs he can never pull off also a guy whom couldn't finish a sandwich now has bills and is going to go for a bonus?

A SOTN or KOTN may occur in his fight but Volkmann will be collecting no OTN bonus.

Didnt ZUFFA pay the fighters from UFC 151 though?
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Didnt ZUFFA pay the fighters from UFC 151 though?
    I might be wrong, but I think they only paid the fighters that didn't have their fight immediately rescheduled.

He shouldn't be too hard up for cash. I'm sure him and Mitt Romney are real buddy buddy. I imagine if he calls out Obama again he'll have Mitt in his corner lol

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I'm sure him and Mitt Romney are real buddy buddy. I imagine if he calls out Obama again he'll have Mitt in his corner lol
    Or he can do what many of people with work ethic and a family do and find a temporary way to supplement his income. I hope his situation turns out for the better.

luckily, being in canada i've never had to pay for any sort of hospital visit for either of my kids, but i have heard it can be quite expensive in the states. i'll be pulling for volkman despite his shitty nickname

Quote Originally Posted by rough-n-tumble View Post
    Or he can do what many of people with work ethic and a family do and find a temporary way to supplement his income. I hope his situation turns out for the better.
    Foot meet mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    You do know that Jacob has like 3 jobs outside of fighting in the UFC?

Zing.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidsponge View Post
    luckily, being in canada i've never had to pay for any sort of hospital visit for either of my kids, but i have heard it can be quite expensive in the states. i'll be pulling for volkman despite his shitty nickname
    It seems a pretty sad situation when an unexpected hospital visit for your child causes so many families such financial hardship.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    You do know that Jacob has like 3 jobs outside of fighting in the UFC?

That's the first thing I thought when I read that post. I know just for starters he coaches high school wrestling. The man had a fight scheduled he owes coaches and trainers and then his son got sick. Money can be tight for anybody. Christmas really can't make that much anyway.

I like the guys fights. He is a good wrestler. He has good control. He's no world beater but I don't mind watching his fights.

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

Roller is going to give Volkmann a more exciting fight than the usual because he's a scrambler and will be looking to work hard off of his back for subs if Jacob takes him down and has some enjoyable standup. Volkmann's never finished a fight in the UFC, but Roller's style will give him a few more looks than usual to get the job done within fifteen....

That said, if Volkmann does what he normally does for the win, I highly doubt he gets any OTN bonus.

Thread Information