+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dana White: "We're Going to Make a Big Run in India"

Default Dana White: "We're Going to Make a Big Run in India"

UFC President Dana White: "We're Going to Make a Big Run in India" | Bleacher Report

The UFC has become the fastest growing organization in the world for one reason: President Dana White's unrivaled dedication to make the company a global sensation.

From signing the greatest fighters in the world to hosting roughly 30 events per year, the sport's No. 1 ambassador has succeeded in making the mixed-martial-arts phenomenon truly something to marvel at.

Even though White has done nearly everything to advance the UFC that's humanly possible, including the promotion's recent contract deal with FOX Sports, he has no plans of slowing down.

In fact, following UFC on FX 5 this Friday at the Target Center in Minneapolis, White revealed the UFC's plan for more international excavation.

"We're going to make a big run at India," White told the press when asked what countries he had in his sights for 2013. "That's the one we're really focused on."

It may not come as that big of a surprise, considering White is extremely aspirational when it comes to the future of the sport, but the news still solidifies the UFC's sole target entering next year.

Expanding into a country like India would most definitely give the UFC the upper hand over other American sports organizations like the NFL, MLB and NBA.

The NFL has failed in the past to successfully attract interest from European countries like England, MLB has barely scratched its potential in Japan and the NBA has been unable to expand beyond China.

The fact of the matter is that with White's dedication and the UFC's already-respected international label, the company's vast goal may be reached in its entirety.

If the outspoken president stays true to his word—and he usually does when it comes to business—the UFC's expansion into India in 2013 could have tremendous results.

With one of the world's largest economies and a potential market of 1.2 billion people, it's the perfect place for the UFC to set up shop.

Not to mention that some of the earliest forms of martial arts originated in India.

The UFC has already teamed up with SONY SIX, an Indian sports channel owned and operated by MSM India, to broadcast live events, historic fights and create the country's own version of The Ultimate Fighter reality show.

TUF India will debut sometime in 2013 in hopes of sparking millions of people's interest in the organization, as well as discovering some of the country's best athletes.

With a popular sports network in his back pocket, money for days and the product to make it all come together, White's plan for global domination may come full circle within the next 15 months.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

yay UFC: Bollywood here we come, how will the us fans react to indo walkout music?
    im not sure which one will be tougher china or india, i think they know its a bit early for india but they want to establish a strong early intiative

Are there any Indian fighters? I cant think of any
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

I think they're worried that the other fight league (SFL?) in India will start to capture the Asian market, which would be a huge loss long term. So, from a biz standpoint, it makes sense.

But my bet is that it's going to be a mess and not have any American viewers for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

They need to do an Untimate Fighter Asia, or something like that. People in other countries are going to have a hard time connecting to people that dont share cultural similarities with them at first, so having people from their own countries to root for will definitely help.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

I have never heard of any Indian fighter, and the only Indian person I can think of if we talk about something related to combat is The Great Khali.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

India is a gold mine, if the weren't interested in India I would be very worried. One of the best economic situations throughout the world as far as profitability goes, and I think it's wise to start heading that way. That being said, I think they would fare much better if they had a star who happened to be from India. Kind of like a Bisping or Hardy situation.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information