Thread: Clay Guida wants Frankie Edgar to be his first fight at Featherweight

Default Clay Guida wants Frankie Edgar to be his first fight at Featherweight

Clay Guida wants Frankie Edgar to be his first fight at Featherweight

With his recent announcement that he would be dropping down to the featherweight division, Clay Guida also has his sights set on who he think should be his first opponent: former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar.

"That would be a great match up," Guida said in an interview with Yahoo! Sports. "I've got a great deal of respect for Frankie and this fight has been a long time coming…[We are] both down here at 145 now and I'm going to make my mark in the division right out of the gate."

For the past couple of years, The Carpenter had been chasing Edgar and his lightweight title. The closest he came to getting a crack at The Answer was when he upended former WEC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis at The Ultimate Fighter 13 last June. However, with Edgar embroiled in what can only be considered as rematch hell against BJ Penn, Gray Maynard and Benson Henderson, Guida was on the outside looking in. Back to back losses to both Maynard and Henderson had the Team Jackson fighter seriously reconsidering whether he should remain in the division. But Guida ultimately opted to follow Edgar out of the division. It also didn't hurt that Guida admits that he never needed to cut weight to make the 155 lbs limit.

"At '55 I didn't cut a pound so we were pretty fortunate," he said. "I definitely have a little extra fat around the waist. Fans and media see us on the scale but they don't see us the weeks leading up to the fight. I still had a few extra pounds I could shed at 155 so I'm sure 146 won't be too far off, especially with the right nutritionist and dietician."
    Clay Guida wants Frankie Edgar to be his first fight at Featherweight | UFC News | LowKick.com

I'd prefer seeing both of them debut at the new weightclass against tried and true 145ers.

For Frankie, bouts with Aldo, Zombie or Lamas
    For Guida, bouts with Lentz, Nunes, Alcantara, Poirier or Do Bronx

Guida/poirier sounds about right. I still want an Edgar/faber fight. I like the sound of Edgar/mendes as well.

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

Agree with Fedorlei, Id rather see both of them debut against natural bonafied Fws to see where they stand, if both continue to do well im sure we'll see that matchup in the future, but no need to potentially lose a contender in there debut imo.

With that said it is an awsome matchup.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

Sure he would $$$$$$$$. However, he doesn't deserve a fight against Frankie.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Id cant stand the way Guida fights....watching him in the octagon is very frustrating imo...

hold up, i know the aldo/edgar fight is scrapped but shouldnt frankie still be getting that title fight whe aldo is ready, i mean how does guida think he is to be fighting frankie, if i had to pick frankie would be facing the diamond or the zombie, guida can go fight faber

hahahahahahahaha okay guida......you couldnt earn a shot at him @155, why would they just give you him at a lower weight?

he took the title of "the natural born runner" with his "strategy" vs maynard and i could see him trying to do the same thing against Frankie

CM

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

That is actually a fight Id like to see. Not a big fan of either, especially Guida...

Frankie actually has the speed to deal with Guida and wont let him play his game.

Thread Information