Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Cormier Would Like to Coach ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ Opposite Jon Jones

Default Daniel Cormier Would Like to Coach ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ Opposite Jon Jones

Daniel Cormier Would Like to Coach ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ Opposite Jon Jones

“I’m a heavyweight right now,” Cormier told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “Until they offer me a fight with Jon Jones, fighting for the light heavyweight championship and coaching ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ and stuff, yeah, I’m fighting at heavyweight.”

Cormier is scheduled to fight Nov. 3 in Strikeforce, assuming the promotion can find a replacement for an injured Frank Mir. He expects to debut in the UFC in early 2013. While the plan is to compete at heavyweight, his name still comes up as a worthy challenger to Jones. Former UFC champion and current Strikeforce color commentator Pat Miletich has even predicted that Cormier would “ragdoll” Jones and take his title.

“That’s a huge endorsement by a guy like Pat, who’s accomplished as much as he has,” Cormier said. “I’m almost kind of speechless. I’ve never heard that before. ... It’s good to have people believe in you. To have a guy that’s actually so close but still so far away from my career say that, who just views it from the outside, is really good. Because I’m sure if he was actually on the inside and saw the work that we put in and the training, he would actually feel more confident in those statements.”

With that said, Cormier has an undeniable respect for Jones.

“I think Jon Jones right now is the greatest light heavyweight of all time,” Cormier said. “Why? Look at the five guys that he’s beaten to retain his belt and become the UFC champion. When you look at guys like Rashad Evans and those guys, go back and look at their opponents and you go, ‘My goodness, man.’ How in the world is every single fight against a guy like that? Jon beat ‘Shogun,’ ‘Rampage,’ Rashad, Machida and Vitor Belfort all in a row. How insane is that?”

Cormier sounds interested in a matchup, though, especially if the fight is promoted with himself and Jones on “The Ultimate Fighter.”

“I think [TUF] gives the fans a chance to get to know me better, to get more people getting to know me and watching me over the course of three months,” Cormier said. “It would give me some time to actually get my weight down and feel comfortable. It would do a lot of good. … At the end of it, you’d get to see a really big fight.”
    Daniel Cormier Would Like to Coach

Someone please fight this guy. He's earned the right to hold a belt and stomp the life out of someone so he can officially be recognized as the talent that he is.
    LJS-NEMS

Cormier v. Teixeira - winner never gets another fight again...

I'd rather not have them on the show, because I don't watch, but holy shit this is a fight I'd love to see

I despise the show but it could help repair (or destroy) jones' reputation.

The fight, I like cormier if he cuts the weight healthily and easily.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Fuckit, do it. It would be a very interesting fight, I'd definitely pick jones to win though
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

wasting time and wasting potential somebody get DC aka black fedor a fight pronto, cormier should be the number 3 heavyweight in the world right now zuffa needs to keep him working. He's basically the randy couture of this generation of fighters.

Minus the 19-11 record....plus WAY better wrestling credentials....
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

I'm not really a fan of active fighters coaching on TUF, especially not champions, it just ties them up. Why not bring back Chuck and Randy next season?
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

id pay to see that fight.

Thread Information