Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rickson Gracie heads new 'old school' fight show in Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Yeah I'm excited about this, but I was going to interrupt the love-fest to say I have questions about the judging.

I don't think Rickson is as bad as many promoters out there, but I have to question the integrity of the league at that point. Time will tell if he's above corruption.

rh
    He's a martial artist, of course he can't be corrupted. Haven't you watched any 70s karate films! Sheesh.

Absolutely love the same day weigh-ins and no saved-by-the-bell. I think the 10/5 round structure is also a pretty good idea.

The judging is always going to be an issue as it currently is with actual judges. Obviously the intent is to not let it go to there. This format still seems pretty flawed, but so is actual judges. Not sure how you let the fans vote or how fair that is since there can sometimes be severe bias in a hometown crowd.

A different idea might be to form a floating panel made up of 5-7 fighters not fighting that night and not part of either camp in that fight. Pay them a nominal fee to show up and pull from a pool. Let them spend about 2 minutes deliberating on camera and then take the majority vote.

Judging fights as a whole rather than by rounds would be a much better system.

Can't wait for this. It sounds really fun. I will definitely watch.

I like the fan's vote. They can all have a buzzer by their seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Not even just letting the crowd decide but also letting the promoter decide who won the fight... Seems like there could still be 'issues' with this new system of judging who won the fight.
    I agree, if this were Elite XC that would be a problem.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Judging fights as a whole rather than by rounds would be a much better system.
    I think they should have a second ref. Let BJM judge from inside the cage with nothing to do with governing the action, and a second ref deal with the direction.

An inside-the-cage judge is better than double duty as ref/judge.

They could give Rickson one vote, the audience one vote, and let BJM break any ties.

I love the idea of judging the fight as a whole again.

Does anyone know if it haz Yellow cardz?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I think they should have a second ref. Let BJM judge from inside the cage with nothing to do with governing the action, and a second ref deal with the direction.

An inside-the-cage judge is better than double duty as ref/judge.

They could give Rickson one vote, the audience one vote, and let BJM break any ties.

I love the idea of judging the fight as a whole again.

Does anyone know if it haz Yellow cardz?

rh
    Havent yet heard anything about yellow cards and they were not mentioned so I would assume not.

A fourth person might make it a bit crowded inside the cage but I do like the idea.

I still think it gives the promoter too much influence, a conflict of interests, if you will. The promoter wants to create the more "sell'able" fights (right Zuffa?) so if it is a close fight / near a draw, it just seems it would seem almost a guarantee the promoter would score it for the guy he wants to see in the next 'big' fight.

In no shape or form should a promoter be involved in deciding the outcome of a fight in my opinion it just leaves to much potential for abuse. The audience participating in the decision is a novel idea but it'll end up being a popularity contest most times then not there short of clear one sided matches. Not being the home town fighter would be pretty detrimental to your W/L record. Refs should be focused on the action in the cage and not trying to make mental notes on who they think win. I get what he is trying to do here but by trying to fix one problem he opens up a whole set of new ones.

Same day weigh ins is a great idea but they need to have the time between weigh ins and actual matches down to a very minimal amount of time before matches.

Thread Information