Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matchmaker Joe Silva explains why he released DaMarques Johnson from UFC

Default Matchmaker Joe Silva explains why he released DaMarques Johnson from UFC

Matchmaker Joe Silva explains why he released DaMarques Johnson from UFC

In a rare interview, Joe Silva, UFC matchmaker and VP of talent relations, explained to MMAFighting.com why he released Johnson from his contract after the fight.

First, here's the timeline of events that led to his decision:

When Krauss pulled out of UFC on FUEL TV 5, Silva offered Rich Attonito the fight against Nelson via Attonito's manager Dan Lambert. Lambert spoke to the American Top Team fighter, who agreed to take the welterweight bout. The next day, Lambert called Silva to tell him Attonito said he would not be able to make the 170-pound weight limit on short notice. Silva then offered him the opportunity to take the fight at a 175-pound catch weight, which both Attonito and Nelson, through his manager and father Haraldur Nelson, agreed to. The next day, Lambert called Silva back again to inform him that Attonito would not be able to make the 175-pound catch weight either. As a result, Silva decided to release Attonito from his contract.

Lambert confirmed with MMAFighting.com that series of events.

Silva then offered the fight to Johnson, through his manager Monte Cox. When Cox called Silva back to tell him Johnson agreed to take the fight at 170 pounds, Silva said he told Cox about the Attonito release and wanted him to tell Johnson what had just happened as well. Cox did just that.

Later that day, Silva saw Johnson at The Ultimate Fighter 17 tryouts in Las Vegas. He said he thanked Johnson for taking the fight but also noticed that he looked heavier than usual. A couple of hours later, Johnson told Silva that he weighed 210 pounds and didn't think he could make 170 pounds. Silva then offered him a 175-pound catch weight fight against Nelson, which both fighters agreed to.

At the Sept. 28 weigh-ins in England, Johnson ended up weighing 183 pounds, missing weight by 8 pounds. As a result, twenty percent of his purse was given to Nelson. Johnson lost the fight the next day and was released earlier this week.

"I thought it was incredibly unfair to Gunnar Nelson to fight someone that much larger than him," Silva said. "Johnson told me he could make the weight. He's not doing me a favor if he missed weight because I could have gotten someone else who would have made the weight.

"I never pressure anyone to take late notice fights. I got a bunch of guys who want to fight. If one says no, I will find someone else. No problem."

Johnson, who said he was medically cleared to fight after his suspension, confirmed this series of events with MMAFighting.com.

"Honestly, it really was my fault for accepting a fight on seven days notice and thinking I could lose 30 pounds, actually it came out to 35 pounds, and I only lost 27. That's my bad. I only was supposed to fight in December, so it's not out of the realm of possibilities [to miss weight] when I just fought in August and it's the end of September because, you know, I was big because I hadn't been able to work out or do anything.

"But no excuses. 1) I should have won the fight. 2) I shouldn't have taken the fight if I wasn't sure if I could do it. My own arrogance thinking that I could make the weight [got the best of me], and I think I did pretty good as far as [losing] 27 pounds in seven days."

Johnson, who said he hopes to fight again in December or January, added that he holds no grudges against the UFC for his release and urged his fans to feel the same way.

"I'm not mad at the UFC. It sucks, yes. At the end of the day, it falls on me. It was my decision. I didn't make weight. I'll make the adjustments and hopefully find myself back in the UFC."
    Matchmaker Joe Silva explains why he released DaMarques Johnson from UFC - MMA Fighting
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Really surprised Joe gave the interview his golden rule is he will tell you anything as long as you don't use him as a source , at the media conference in Nottingham this German guy spent literally a hour talking to Joe and he answered every question then at the end he was like "you know you can't quote me right?" the poor German guy was devastated.
    “I just want to be known as the greatest ever…is that too much to ask?”

B.J Penn

https://www.facebook.com/roy.billington1
    https://twitter.com/RoyBillington

Well Joe wouldnt even have to give an explanation... Johnson lost hi's last 3 fights, all by stoppage and 1 where he was overweight. But I guess that he can come back to the UFC if he wins a couple of fights.
    Nope

The next day, Lambert called Silva back again to inform him that Attonito would not be able to make the 175-pound catch weight either. As a result, Silva decided to release Attonito from his contract.
    i assume they jus meant that particular fight contract? and not that they let him go?

I was wondering about the Antonitto comment as well. Because, if he was released from THE UFC... then of course Johnson wouldn't call back and say he couldn't make weight! Cause he saw what happened to Rich when he did!

But... if he meant he was released FROM HIS FIGHT CONTRACT... which is what I think he meant... then my thoughts are opposite... and I begin to wonder why Johnson would be so foolish to think he could make weight in a week... I mean... 30 pounds is a lot to cut in that time frame.

Interesting read though. Still think he got a raw deal.

As far as I'm concerned... fighters stepping up on short notice should NOT be cut. Period.

Whether they lost their last three in a row... or their last twelve! Makes no difference to me.
    Stepping up on short notice should be rewarded... not punished.
    Even when the dude misses weight (because the UFC should know that might be a distinct possibility for a guy who starts "training" a week out of fight day)

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidsponge View Post
    i assume they jus meant that particular fight contract? and not that they let him go?
    He was released from his contract.

B.J Penn

He never pressures people to take late notice fights, yet they released attonio after he declined the late notice fight against Gunnar! Lol

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    He never pressures people to take late notice fights, yet they released attonio after he declined the late notice fight against Gunnar! Lol
    From my understanding Rich was being cut then when Kraus got injured they gave him a final chance and when he turned them down they cut him as planned.

B.J Penn

Wow, I wish Demarques the best. He is an exiting fighter. Win or lose. I hope he gets back on the horse and back in the UFC. I like how he owned it.

I've seen a solid level of improvement from DaMarques over his UFC run and despite his losses, he's never gone to a decision in his UFC career and that body triangle on Guyman was dope. Failing to make the weightcut probably killed his chances in the UFC for now(believe this is his second failure), but I think this was still an ill-advised cut.

The biggest kicker for me is how Dana constanty bitches about fighters being boring, not risking anything, fighting not to lose and not 'leaving it all out there in the cage' and yet a fighter who always goes to finishes and has entertaining fights gets cut. Listening to Dana harp on and on during TUF episodes about how disappointed he is when fighters don't put on an exciting fight, I find this hypocritical.

Consider that Hathaway, who was on the same card, hasn't scored a finish since 2009 and while has the potential and tools to succeed at a higher level, is regarded as boring and at this juncture somewhat unmarketable as a result, despite all but one defeat.

I'm not trying to compare Johnson with Hathaway as much so as I'm comparing the UFC's(mostly Dana's) desire to have exciting fighters and finishes, decrying loudly over boring fights, while at the end of the day, the W-L record appears to be the most important aspect in maintaining a UFC career....

Thread Information