Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silva: I never want to fight Jon Jones

Default Silva: I never want to fight Jon Jones

Silva: I never want to fight Jon Jones

“There’s always been a lot of talks about me moving up to 205, I know Dana has talked about it a lot, all the fans have talked a lot about me moving up and facing Jon Jones, but it’s something I’ve never wanted,” Silva said on Thursday.

Silva has tested the waters at light heavyweight in the past only because the UFC has asked him to do so when they needed him, but he’s never planning a permanent move there.

The long time Brazilian champion has plenty of teammates who could challenge UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, but he’s not going to be one of them.

“I won’t be pretentious to say that I want to move up, especially because there’s other guys in that weight class on our team like Rafael Feijao (Cavalcante), (Antonio Rogerio) Minotoro Nogueira, there’s other guys that could potentially face Jon Jones in the future,” Silva stated.

“What got me this far is I’m grounded, my weight class is 185,” said Silva.

“I’m 37-years old and I feel like I need to be honest and to continue what I’ve built which is keep defending my belt at 185.”
    Silva: I never want to fight Jon Jones - Mixed Martial Arts News

*Some one is scrrrrd.

Sorry Anderson but no you do not have a lot of team mates who will be able to challenge Jones.. Lil Nog & Feijao dont have shit on Jon Jones.

Anderson is not scared of Jones. There is nothing to be scared of. He would eat him alive on the feet and is better on the ground. Hell, Jones almost got beat my Vitor for goodness sake....I know, you can't use mma math...but still
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

Quote Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
    Anderson is not scared of Jones. There is nothing to be scared of. He would eat him alive on the feet and is better on the ground. Hell, Jones almost got beat my Vitor for goodness sake....I know, you can't use mma math...but still
    So you just figure Anderson respects Jon soooooo much he is just giving him a pass with the LHW title or do you think Anderson really thinks Lil Nog or Feijao are going to be the ones to beat Jones?

lol Can't wait to her RD's defense of this one. Silva's so grounded at 185 he keeps callin for a fight with a WW. He's just collectin checks at this point in his career. He's earned it i suppose but i would prefer he just avoid these topics in interviews or was a bit more forthright about it.
    LJS-NEMS

If he doesn't want to fight Jones, that's fine. So be it. Nothing wrong with that. But it does nothing for his P4P legacy, nor would a win over GSP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

cheques

agreed, wanting a match with a ww but avoiding a class he has already competed in doesnt make him look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    So you just figure Anderson respects Jon soooooo much he is just giving him a pass with the LHW title or do you think Anderson really thinks Lil Nog or Feijao are going to be the ones to beat Jones?
    I just think it's like every other fighter on a team of fighters that refuses to put themselves in a situation where they might have to fight a teammate. If Jones was in MW, do you think Anderson would avoid him then?

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    If he doesn't want to fight Jones, that's fine. So be it. Nothing wrong with that. But it does nothing for his P4P legacy, nor would a win over GSP.
    I don't think it hurts his legacy at this point. No one else is doing what he has done. GSP hasn't moved weight classes, Jones hasn't moved weight classes, etc....Anderson is still the only one of the 3 that has moved up and completely destroyed heavier competition.

And it's easy to figure out he stands to make MUCH MUCH more money with a GSP fight than a Jones fight....especially after Jones got scared of Sonnen
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

Quote Originally Posted by Supe View Post
    Silva's so grounded at 185 he keeps callin for a fight with a WW.
    This is the only issue I have with it all. He keeps talking about staying in his own weight class, and that's what got him where he is today etc etc, yet he over and over calls for a WW to come up to his division to fight him, or fight at a catch weight (either way, same principal, as it is a smaller guy coming up to fight him).

Other wise though, I don't have a problem with it at all. Anderson is the best MW fighter in the world, so I don't have a problem with it if he doesn't want to fight the best LHW in the world. Would I like to see it? Fuck yeah I would, but I don't blame him for not wanting it

Just like how GSP is the best WW fighter in the world, I don't have a problem with him not wanting to fight the best MW fighter in the world

I just think it's like every other fighter on a team of fighters that refuses to put themselves in a situation where they might have to fight a teammate. If Jones was in MW, do you think Anderson would avoid him then?

I don't think it hurts his legacy at this point. No one else is doing what he has done. GSP hasn't moved weight classes, Jones hasn't moved weight classes, etc....Anderson is still the only one of the 3 that has moved up and completely destroyed heavier competition.

And it's easy to figure out he stands to make MUCH MUCH more money with a GSP fight than a Jones fight....especially after Jones got scared of Sonnen
    I don't have issue with much of what you said...but it seems silly to me bring up Jones refusing to fight someone in the middle of defending someone refusing to fight Jones. maybe it's just me but seems odd.
    LJS-NEMS

It doesn't hurt his legacy, but it does nothing for it either. His legacy at MW is secure, he's the best of all time. But if he wants to be the best P4P fighter ever, he needs to fight elite LHWs (Evans, Shogun, Bones, etc.).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Thread Information