Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Werdum’s manager says no to fight with Daniel Cormier, eyes rematch with JDS

Hybrid View

Default Werdum’s manager says no to fight with Daniel Cormier, eyes rematch with JDS

Werdum’s manager says no to Strikeforce fight with Daniel Cormier, eyes rematch with JDS

Don’t expect Fabricio Werdum to cross over to Strikeforce in the near future — or at any point in the future.

With many fans clamoring for a Werdum vs. Daniel Cormier matchup, the UFC heavyweight contender’s manager Lucas Pires today told theScore.com that although Werdum would accept a fight against the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix winner, the fight would have to take place in the UFC, not in Strikeforce.

“Fabricio had a very good career in Strikeforce but our goal now is to fight in the UFC,” Pires said. “So I don’t think going back to Strikeforce would be a good strategy and that’s not our direction. We’re very happy in the UFC and I don’t see why we’d go back. I think Daniel Cormier is a great fighter but that would be an amazing fight for a UFC pay-per-view, not for Strikeforce.”

Pires reiterated that his client is fully focused on making a run towards the UFC heavyweight championship, and is eying a rematch with 265-pound kingpin Junior dos Santos. The two first met at UFC 90, and Werdum, as a heavy favourite, was knocked out in devastating fashion by dos Santos, who was making his UFC debut, and immediately released from his contract.

“We want dos Santos and we want a title shot against him,” Pires said. “That’s what we are working for. At that time, Fabricio made a lot of mistakes in his career. He wasn’t as professional as he is now. For sure right now he’s a different fighter, a complete fighter and he understands the business, he knows what to do to get the win. For sure this time it would be different.

“He fought dos Santos when he was a nobody and he lost and he got in trouble. But we got to learn our lesson.”

With that being said, Pires said that Werdum will fight anyone that the UFC puts in front of him, although he would preferably like to fight in a title eliminator against a top contender in his next matchup.

“We never choose our opponents,” Pires said. “I never choose who Fabricio’s going to fight. We just want the next guy to take him to the title shot. That’s the only thing we want. Whoever Joe Silva decides to put him in to fight we’re going to take it.”
    (Cormier and Werdum) are two great fighters,” Pires sad. “Daniel showed how skilled he is in his last fight against Josh Barnett — he did a great job but right now he’s in Strikeforce and we can’t think about him right now. Our mind right now is on dos Santos. It’s going to be a different fight this time.”
    Fabricio Werdum’s manager says no to Strikeforce fight with Daniel Cormier, eyes rematch with JDS | The MMA Blog | Blogs | theScore.com

I would say no too if I was Werdum. He is only a fight maybe two away from a title shot, why go risk a fight with DC who is currently then number 3 HW in the world when you can fight someone like Dave Herman or Big Nog and get a title shot. Possibly a rematch with Bigfoot too. Stepping in there with arguably the most dangerous HW in the world right now is just not smart business when it comes to Werdum and his title goals.
    Dude, I’m a wrestler. I’m the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. That’s all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

The Baldfather isn't going to be too happy about that one...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

IMO, this is a smart move on the part of Werdum for a few reasons. If Cain happens to beat JDS in their rematch, Werdum would be next in line for the shot given that I don't believe Cormier and Cain will fight each other and if JDS wins, they have a built in rematch that I think can tell a pretty great story. I also think that they'll make Overeem take a fight before he gets a title shot since he pissed dirty, probably against Bigfoot. I wouldn't be surprised if JDS or Cain drops out of their title fight that Werdum gets the call up, while I think they'll want to establish Cormier's name against a Mir or Nog.

Werdum has been playing a hot hand since he left ZUFFA and I think his recent string of victories over Nelson and Russow on PPVs makes him more marketable.

Really doubt he'll fight jds very soon. Cormier isn't a very smart fight for him either due to Cormier not being as well known. I'd bet if Cain loses his rematch, Cormier will probably get a shot right after Overeem, if he doesn't skip Overeem too.

I'd say give werdum, Gonzaga, Struve, maybe a rematch with Bigfoot. After that, I'd say Carwin if he beats Nelson (which I think he will)

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Really doubt he'll fight jds very soon. Cormier isn't a very smart fight for him either due to Cormier not being as well known. I'd bet if Cain loses his rematch, Cormier will probably get a shot right after Overeem, if he doesn't skip Overeem too.

I'd say give werdum, Gonzaga, Struve, maybe a rematch with Bigfoot. After that, I'd say Carwin if he beats Nelson (which I think he will)
    Considering that Werdum has already beaten Gonzaga twice and also has split a pair of fights with Overeem and has beaten Bigfoot, I think he's earned next in line to fight winner of JDS/Cain. His striking and physicality have finally developed so that he's a more well-rounded fighter and I think he's an easier sell, especially since we really don't know if ZUFFA is willing to put their eggs in Overeem's basket for a PPV main event at this juncture.

As for Cormier, I'd be fine with him getting a title shot too, however think he needs to get a UFC win under his belt so he has a little more name recognition, as it may be too soon to rush him into the title shot.

Ideally, I'd like to see Werdum/Cormier for the contendership(and I still think we may see it), but if given the choice, I think Werdum's earned it more, with more wins over top ten HWs than Cormier and is the more established name, despite Overeem probably making the most "money sense" of all possible "nexts in line".

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Considering that Werdum has already beaten Gonzaga twice and also has split a pair of fights with Overeem and has beaten Bigfoot, I think he's earned next in line to fight winner of JDS/Cain. His striking and physicality have finally developed so that he's a more well-rounded fighter and I think he's an easier sell, especially since we really don't know if ZUFFA is willing to put their eggs in Overeem's basket for a PPV main event at this juncture.

As for Cormier, I'd be fine with him getting a title shot too, however think he needs to get a UFC win under his belt so he has a little more name recognition, as it may be too soon to rush him into the title shot.

Ideally, I'd like to see Werdum/Cormier for the contendership(and I still think we may see it), but if given the choice, I think Werdum's earned it more, with more wins over top ten HWs than Cormier and is the more established name, despite Overeem probably making the most "money sense" of all possible "nexts in line".
    Damn I don't remember him fighting gonzaga, ill look those up. I see your point on Overeem but idk, I just don't think a win over Russow or Nelson should warrant any talk of a shot. If he does rematch jds tho, what's to say he doesn't pull what he did in the second Overeem fight ?

Forgot about Mir, that would be a great match up as well as Cain if he loses. I'd really like to him fight a strong wrestler just to see how well he'd do against a grinder who's no slouch in top control.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Damn I don't remember him fighting gonzaga, ill look those up. I see your point on Overeem but idk, I just don't think a win over Russow or Nelson should warrant any talk of a shot. If he does rematch jds tho, what's to say he doesn't pull what he did in the second Overeem fight ?

Forgot about Mir, that would be a great match up as well as Cain if he loses. I'd really like to him fight a strong wrestler just to see how well he'd do against a grinder who's no slouch in top control.
    Yeah, Werdum has beaten Gonzaga twice via TKO, once in the UFC and one down in Brazil.

I'd suggest that the difference between the Werdum of today in a prospective JDS rematch compared to the Werdum who fought for the SF title in the Overeem rematch is that today's Werdum has alot more developed striking; he's alot more comfortable on his feet, isn't as tenative and doesn't have that sense of urgency to take it to the mat(with him crabwalking and trying to trap a foe in his guard). I think the Nelson fight showed how far he's grown on the feet and with those tools, I think he'd be more equipped to fight JDS, work the clinch to take it down where he wants it, but doesn't necessarily NEED to take it to the ground as badly as he did, say two years ago....

I personally want to see Werdum against either Mir or Barnett most, as I'd love to see the grappling and think Werdum tools them both.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Yeah, Werdum has beaten Gonzaga twice via TKO, once in the UFC and one down in Brazil.

I'd suggest that the difference between the Werdum of today in a prospective JDS rematch compared to the Werdum who fought for the SF title in the Overeem rematch is that today's Werdum has alot more developed striking; he's alot more comfortable on his feet, isn't as tenative and doesn't have that sense of urgency to take it to the mat(with him crabwalking and trying to trap a foe in his guard). I think the Nelson fight showed how far he's grown on the feet and with those tools, I think he'd be more equipped to fight JDS, work the clinch to take it down where he wants it, but doesn't necessarily NEED to take it to the ground as badly as he did, say two years ago....

I personally want to see Werdum against either Mir or Barnett most, as I'd love to see the grappling and think Werdum tools them both.
    He's definitely developed his striking, but idk with jds's boxing lol. Mir or Barnett would be a good match, so is it confirmed that Barnett will also switch over to ufc?

I wouldn't hold my breath on Barnett fighting for ZUFFA until I see him inside the cage.

Thread Information