+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Demian Maia settled in at welterweight and off the submission slump at UFC 153

Default Demian Maia settled in at welterweight and off the submission slump at UFC 153

Demian Maia settled in at welterweight and off the submission slump at UFC 153

Against Story, though, he looked like the Maia of old. He blitzed through the American, and on the ground, he worked for a textbook rear-naked choke that turned into a neck crank. Maia squeezed so hard, in fact, blood squirted from Story's nose in a GIF lover's instant Hall of Fame moment.

The win also happened to be Maia's second since dropping from middleweight to welterweight, and he perhaps has hit a new stride at 170 pounds.

"I'm very happy to be in this division. I feel much better with this weight," Maia said at the UFC 153 post-fight news conference in Rio de Janeiro. "I try to not win by points or by decision. I try to do it in a different way. This is for the UFC – the UFC gave me everything I have. I'm very happy for the UFC and very thankful for fighting in Brazil."

His boss, UFC President Dana White, was impressed with Maia's performance, which could go a long way toward title contention if he strings together another couple wins in the division.

"I thought that Demian Maia was in for a tough fight tonight," White said. "Story's a guy who is very hard to take down, and that kid can blast. He's got power in both hands. Demian Maia looked unbelievable tonight. He absolutely controlled that fight, took him down and did whatever he wanted to with him. I was blown away by his performance tonight."

After making quick work of Dong Hyun Kim in July (thanks in part to a Kim injury in the fight) and quick work of Story on Saturday in his home country of Brazil, Maia is 2-0 at welterweight.
    Demian Maia settled in at welterweight and off the submission slump at UFC 153 | MMAjunkie.com
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Man, I love Maia at welterweight. Him not giving up as much size really seems to make a huge difference. I think he really got the attention of the rest of the division in that fight. Couple more impressive wins and he can really consider himself a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Winner of Swick/Brown would be cool, but I doubt he wants to wait that long for a fight. Maybe loser of Kampmann/Hendrickson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I like Maia at 170 as well. I also like that he is submitting people again. That was so awesome when he had the blood squirting out of Story's noise with that neck crank. He has really good foot sweeps. I would love to see him really tested next. Him and Fitch would be awesome. Him versus Koscheck would also be great.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Winner of Swick/Brown would be cool, but I doubt he wants to wait that long for a fight. Maybe loser of Kampmann/Hendrickson.
    I definitely don't like Maia vs Swick or especially Brown. I think he wastes either of those guys at 170, and I like them both. I also don't like him getting a loser.

I'm really high on Maia at WW, his striking is crisp enough that he isn't in peril on the feet and his BJJ at this weightclass is arguably the best. My only question about him is cardio.

I'd be cool with:
    Maia/Fitch
    Maia/Kos
    Maia/Ellenberger
    Maia/Diaz
    Maia/Winner of BJ/MacDonald
    Maia/Sanchez

Dana, please make Maia vs Fitch!!!!
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I'm really high on Maia at WW, his striking is crisp enough that he isn't in peril on the feet and his BJJ at this weightclass is arguably the best. My only question about him is cardio.

I'd be cool with:
    Maia/Fitch
    Maia/Kos
    Maia/Ellenberger
    Maia/Diaz
    Maia/Winner of BJ/MacDonald
    Maia/Sanchez
    Maia Diaz .. Never thought of it before but sounds like a fun fight to me. Diaz lights him up on the feet but can he nullify his ground game?
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Diaz would be a crazy fight. I would pay good money to see that. Make it the next no. 1 contender even
    Favorite fighters: GSP, F. Griffin, Jon Jones, Nick Diaz, Carwin, Ken Flo, Leben

although the first win is iffy, maia is 2-0 with 2 finishes so he's on a good start. like i said before, a fight with fitch would be cool and would launch either one into the top 5 of the division imho.

i've heard people mention maia/koscheck, but for some reason that fight doesnt interest me as i still feel koscheck is an elite welterweight (even after his latest loss).

maia and pierce wouldnt be bad either i suppose. pierce has shown to have trouble against elite competition so a fight against against maia interest me. the winner of swick/brown would also be a good opponent for maia as well.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information