Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Thread: UFC 153 Official discussion thread (spoilers)

That was an odd press conference. I don't think Davis was asked a single question...kindve sad considering he had a great performance and finished his fight with a BJJ technique.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

So, Dana said Anderson has two fights left on his current contract.....from a business perspective I really think his stance on not wanting to fight Jones will drastically change during (re)negotiations. Feels like posturing to get the best deal.

Gentleman and ladies (are there any women on this board?) What we saw tonight was the difference between someone who practices martial arts and someone who's merged it with his soul. I think it would be cruel to make Jon Jones fight this guy, hell it's cruel for any fighter to fight Anderson Silva. He's on a whole nother level from other fighters in that he's come to embody Martial Arts. Yes he's cocky, but so was Bruce Lee as well as other great practitioners. Watching Anderson Silva fight is like watch Ali and Tyson in their hayday. The confidence and absolute conviction of their invincibility must have felt like a denser gravity to their opponents. I think that's what happens with Silva's opponents as well. It's like his opponents become little kids trying to fight their 30 year uncle while his drinking his beer. Believe me I tried when I was seven and got clowned just like Bonner did tonight....The Amazing Anderson "The Spider" Silva.

Oh and how sweet was it to see Big Nog Sub Herman? not only did he sub Herman, he absolutely tooled him the feet! I love the way he doesn't wast punches or throw wild shots. When he fires he intends to hit, and he usually does. He walked right into his range all night and landed. Most guys bounce around and throw from the wrong distance trying to catch their opponents coming forward. Nog just walks right into the kitchen and takes what he wants from the fridge. I love it!

I have to give Fitch his respect, he took Eric Silva to school. but fight of the night.....sorry Fitch that honor goes to Glover Teixeira vs. Fabio Maldonado. That fight was like watching a movie, I could not believe Maldonado could take that punishment. That was some heavy and vicious GNP, I could hear the thuds and smacks from elbows and fists! And when he clipped Glover with that Left Hook, man! I wish he had the energy to go for it then! But Glover is the real deal and I can understand how people see him as a threat to Jones. But Maldonado did do some interesting things with his straight jab and left hook. You can bet Jones will study that and utilize it if Glover doesn't fix that hole. All in all a great night of fights!
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

I am kind of surprised at everyone clowning Bonnar. As much as I think Silva is an exceptional fighter, up until the last few seconds, Bonnar controlled the fight and landed shots that would have KO'd many fighters. I don't know whether Silva has some kind of voodoo protection, but he ate a lot of shots foolishly and I have a hard time believing he did it intentionally.

Bonnar had him in a lot of danger. Give the guy some credit. He put on a better performance than 90% of Silva's opponents. Just because he missed a flashy kick doesn't mean he went out there and got embarrassed.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Card of the year...

best Card I have seen in a while...

Anderson showed good TDD... That knee he landed was brutal... If anyone has ever trained in Muay Thai and taken a knee to the sternum, you know how bad it is... Its just as bad if not worse than a groin or liver shot.

Nog looked good despite being around for so long... It was as expected, Herman didnt belong in there with him...

Maldanado took some serious punishment... Glover has legit power and that was serious GNP... He took a ton of on point left hooks standing and got his face smashed in with punches and elbows on the ground... that was no patty cake GNP... Glover was very impressive, but we need to see him do it against better competition...

Davis looked excellent... I know a lot of fans are quick to dismiss him because he lost to Evans... Davis vs. Glover possibly? Id like to see Glover fight Rampage, Shogun, or Machida, but those may not be a possibility.

Fitch-Silva was a great fight... rounds 1 and 2 were phenominal back and forth, and Jon really took it to him in the 3rd. I was very impressed with Fitch, and Silva as well(considering who he was fighting.) Fitch was actually very exciting in this fight, and seemed to "go for it" more imo...

Fitch vs. Ellenburger or Rory/Bj winner...

Silva vs. Condit, after he loses to GSP.

rob_bills Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noahm View Post
    I am kind of surprised at everyone clowning Bonnar. As much as I think Silva is an exceptional fighter, up until the last few seconds, Bonnar controlled the fight and landed shots that would have KO'd many fighters. I don't know whether Silva has some kind of voodoo protection, but he ate a lot of shots foolishly and I have a hard time believing he did it intentionally.
    Dude, you do realize Silva had his hands down the whole fight, of course he was taking shots intentionally

Quote Originally Posted by rob_bills View Post
    Dude, you do realize Silva had his hands down the whole fight, of course he was taking shots intentionally
    Honestly, he looked a little confused, like one of those early shots made him rummy for a bit. It seems odd he would continue to take shots intentionally after the first couple if he was actually taking them deliberately. If he was, it was very foolish and risky.
    Last edited by noahm; 10-14-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noahm View Post
    Honestly, he looked confused, like one of those early shots made him rummy for a bit.
    Lol...

Didnt see that...

I did see Bonner land a few good shots, but Anderson clearly evaded most of them...

Id assume he did that because he didnt respect Bonner's power and Speed and rightfully so, IMO... Bonner keeps coming but doesnt really possess a lot of finishing ability standing... He would never try to clown someone like Hendo or Vitor like that. He would pick them apart, but not drop his hands and stand in front of them like that... He knows whats up.

When you drop your hands it goads your opponent into punching you... Their vision is focused on the target... your head... your hands are normally there protecting yourself, so they can also see if a punch is coming from you... but when your hands are down like that, and they attack your head, it is very easy to catch them off guard... Thats what he did in the Forrest, Okami and Maia fight... Its actually a smart offensive strategy... that should only be used by someone who knows what they are doing.

Doing that against the cage was very bold... borderline stupid, had be been fighting somebody with good speed or power, that could have easily been disastrous.

Look how close this punch was... less than an inch

Bonner has a granite chin, he can take a shot.... Fitting that Anderson would beat him with a body shot....
    Last edited by Kimbo> Rampage; 10-14-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Small footnote-If you watch the finish of Nog/Herman, read Herman's lips.
    Live. Dream. Do. MERIKAN
    Total Human Optimization Onnit
    Tap Them All TPSGC

Quote Originally Posted by jay-c View Post
    Small footnote-If you watch the finish of Nog/Herman, read Herman's lips.
    you mean when he said "fuck me" after he got sub'd? LOL yes that should be a glif right after the clip where he's saying Ju Jitsu doesn't work.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Thread Information