Thread: ‘Minotauro’ Nogueira Dismisses Retirement Talk, Wants Top 10 Opponent Next

Default ‘Minotauro’ Nogueira Dismisses Retirement Talk, Wants Top 10 Opponent Next

‘Minotauro’ Nogueira Dismisses Retirement Talk, Wants Top 10 Opponent Next

“Man, you [media] keep on saying that [I should walk away]. They’re trying to retire me,” Nogueira said at the UFC 153 post-fight press conference Saturday night. “I can still fight. I feel amazing. I’m still hungry. I still feel like I can go and fight and throw some good things. Physically, I feel good. I know my arm broke, but I had good physical therapy, and I’ve been working [an extra] hour every day.”

The former Pride Fighting Championships ace returned to action at UFC 153 following a 10-month layoff to defeat Dave Herman in the evening’s co-main event. Nogueira was shelved by ex-UFC champ Frank Mir this past December when he refused to tap to a kimura and instead allowed his right humerus to snap at UFC 140.

“I have 16 screws in my arm, and I didn’t know if I was coming back too soon,” said Nogueira. “I want to say thank you to the UFC. When I broke my arm, I had a lot of support from Mr. Dana White. I flew in his plane when I came back from [UFC 140 in] Canada, and [the UFC] sent me to the best doctors. They fixed my arm and got it ready 10 months later.”

The 36-year-old appeared no worse for the wear on Saturday night at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, hanging with Herman through the scrambles in round one while consistently using his repaired right arm to fire off straights that continually connected with Herman’s visage.

It would be Nogueira’s left that would deliver the most significant shot of the fight, however, as the Brazilian clipped Herman with a lead hook in round two that sent the American crashing to the canvas. Though Herman managed to escape an armbar attempt and return to his feet, Nogueira immediately reestablished ground control after executing a trip, passing to mount before searching for the opportunity to finish the fight.

Herman, who previously claimed that jiu-jitsu did not work on him, once again found himself trapped in an armbar, but this time, there was no escape. Though he tried gamely to roll away from the pressure, the former EliteXC talent’s efforts only served to better Nogueira’s position. With nowhere to go, Herman tapped out at 4:31 of round two.

“There will always be a special taste to [this win], obviously, because [I won it with] jiu-jitsu, a Brazilian martial art,” said Nogueira. “I see many different guys out there saying it, but it’s a lie that jiu-jitsu doesn’t work. Now, all fighters who do not know jiu-jitsu are at a disadvantage. It was really [great] to get the submission, because I haven’t had a submission in MMA for some time. I was very happy to [earn the win] with the support of the Rio crowd.”

Moving forward, Nogueira says he wants to fight the best the UFC has to offer, provided his opposition does not come in the form of friend, training partner and reigning heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos.

“I want to fight Top 10 guys. I can’t ask for the belt, because my buddy, Junior dos Santos, [is the champion],” said Nogueira. “He’s kind of my brother, and I’m going to be helping him for the next two weeks for his fight against Cain [Velasquez]. But I want to fight against the best guys.”
    UFC 153 Winner
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Nog is still looking like a top HW IMO. He has a few bad fights but he's still one of the elite in the division.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

His bad fights were against frank mir were they not? who else had beat him? I'd still love to see an old school match up between him and Barnett. It would be like Sakuraba vs the Gracies......And if it could be done in Japan......
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    His bad fights were against frank mir were they not? who else had beat him? I'd still love to see an old school match up between him and Barnett. It would be like Sakuraba vs the Gracies......And if it could be done in Japan......
    Big Nog vs Barnett sounds like a good way to introduce Josh back into the UFC.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Waste of time crying about it because GSP/Silva is going to happen regardless of what you have to say. You will tune in and you will watch the fight no matter how much you complain about it.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Big Nog vs Barnett sounds like a good way to introduce Josh back into the UFC.
    the rubber match... That would be a good fight... Maybe if Josh had a successful run in the UFC, CC would come out of retirement(from the UFC anyways)

7. Default

I say the winner of the carwin/nelson fight would be a good one for nog. Id personally rather see him fight big country, but either of the two would be a very stiff test, and be able to tell us a lot about where nog stands in his career, I think.

Barnett or Struve

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Thread Information