Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP

Default Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP

Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP

Anderson Silva has three words, basically, about a potential superfight with Jon Jones. His boss has a three-word response.

Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC) cruised past Stephan Bonnar (14-8 MMA, 8-7 UFC) in the UFC 153 main event on Saturday in Rio de Janeiro. The fight took place at light heavyweight, and speculation started immediately as to Silva's next challenge – a possible superfight with light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

Silva is hesitant to consider such a fight, but UFC President Dana White believes he can make it happen.

"I know my man says 'No, no, no,'" White said at Saturday's UFC 153 post-event news conference. "But the amount of money that would be offered for that fight, I guarantee you I will make Anderson Silva say, 'Yes, yes, yes.'"

Silva says such a fight, or any fight he's ever taken, has nothing to do with the money he makes.

"Since I started training martial arts, I never thought about the money," Silva told MMAjunkie.com UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com. "I think everything I was able to get was because I did it with pleasure and love. When I started, there was no money in this and I didn't fight for money. Obviously, the money is important. We all need money, but I don't fight for the money."

Silva also believes there are potential challengers for Jones' 205-pound belt, including from within his own team of training partners, and he doesn't think Jones has much interest in the fight, either.

"This is not something I would like to happen because the times I've seen Jon Jones, he's also mentioned that he would not like to fight. (me)," Silva said. "We are UFC employees. I wouldn't like for this to happen because in our team, we have (Antonio Rodrigo) 'Minotauro' (Nogueira), we have (Rafael) 'Feijao' (Cavalcante), we have (Wagner) 'Caldeirao' (Prado).

"We have athletes in his division that can fight him. And I'm old. I'm getting old, guys."

But White believes he'll be able to sit in a rom with Silva and his manager, Ed Soares, and negotiate either a superfight with Jones or with welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre.

"There are so many options for him right now," White said. "He never ceases to amaze. And like he says, there's a lot of talented guys now in that 185-pound division. But as he says, he's at this point in his career where there are some superfights there. The Georges St-PIerre fight is a big fight. I think the Jon Jones fight is a big fight."
    Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP | MMAjunkie.com
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Silva doesn't fight for the money yet he doesn't give rematches because he believes they are undesirable to fans.

3. Default

doesnt fight for the money, but doesnt want to fight weidman because he doesnt think the fight would sell... hmm...

Thank you two for seeing the bullshit. His performance last night was nothing special, it was a nice knee but up until that point he did jack shit. I'm sorry but standing against the cage bobbing and weaving isn't doing anything. But all I've read on here is how he's the GOAT and he'll smash Jones, let him fight whoever he wants. Anderson fought like that for defensive purposes, it also let him counter punch as Bonnar had to come to him. Bonnar was landing the better shots (though nothing really special) until he get hit with that knee at the end of the round. If we had watched 3 rounds of that and Silva finished the same but in the 3rd would I really have to read all of this Silva is a god BS.

Jones would smash Anderson. He is literally Anderson's worst nightmare. A bigger stronger, longer guy with some of the best wrestling and Gnp in the sport who also has good submissions and good kick boxing.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    Thank you two for seeing the bullshit. His performance last night was nothing special, it was a nice knee but up until that point he did jack shit. I'm sorry but standing against the cage bobbing and weaving isn't doing anything. But all I've read on here is how he's the GOAT and he'll smash Jones, let him fight whoever he wants. Anderson fought like that for defensive purposes, it also let him counter punch as Bonnar had to come to him. Bonnar was landing the better shots (though nothing really special) until he get hit with that knee at the end of the round. If we had watched 3 rounds of that and Silva finished the same but in the 3rd would I really have to read all of this Silva is a god BS.
    Bonner was trying to be aggressive... He thew in volume... Anderson landed the more meaningful strikes. The fight speaks for itself....

I agree that Anderson didnt do that much, but the fight was very uneventful(to begin with)... dont act as though Bonner was actually doing anything...
    Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    Jones would smash Anderson. He is literally Anderson's worst nightmare. A bigger stronger, longer guy with some of the best wrestling and Gnp in the sport who also has good submissions and good kick boxing.
    Agree...
    Yes, Jones would murder Anderson.... Anderson probably beats GSP down as well... point?

Is GSP also scared of Anderson?(he said he wasnt interested in that fight numerous times.)
    Last edited by Kimbo> Rampage; 10-14-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Neither will happen. Silva wants no part of Jones (I don't blame him) and I still think GSP wants no part of Anderson (I don't blame him either). Yeah I know there's reports of GSP saying he wants to do the fight but then again it sounded like he was thinking about it back in 2009 and it still hasn't happened. I just think there will be at least one fighter in the trio of fighters that doesn't want to fight the other.

Brown Pride

Fantasy prediction: Silva/GSP Superfight in July at Cowboys Stadium with Jones/Sonnen as the co-main would be the biggest card in history money-wise. If would also provide an opportunity if Silva and Jones come out on top, for a face off in the cage to announce that superfight.....

Anderson has two more fights on his current contract, I think he'll be playing hardball and will get whatever he's asking for.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Fantasy prediction: Silva/GSP Superfight in July at Cowboys Stadium with Jones/Sonnen as the co-main would be the biggest card in history money-wise. If would also provide an opportunity if Silva and Jones come out on top, for a face off in the cage to announce that superfight.....

Anderson has two more fights on his current contract, I think he'll be playing hardball and will get whatever he's asking for.
    Dont think the UFC would ever do that.... Silva vs. GSP could easily be the biggest UFC ever... Jones vs. Sonnen could do around a Mil buys by itself... The UFC would make more money to keep them separate... All 4 of those guys have decent ppv cuts...

If they wanted to max out their selling potential, the UFC needs to have a very strong Co-Main, as well as supporting card... but not that big of a fight...

Aldo-Edgar or a LW title fight would be fitting co-mains.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post

I think he might actually retire. He's recently said that he might not go back to mw, I didn't think much of it up till now that I know he only has 2 fights left on his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    Dont think the UFC would ever do that.... Silva vs. GSP could easily be the biggest UFC ever... Jones vs. Sonnen could do around a Mil buys by itself... The UFC would make more money to keep them separate... All 4 of those guys have decent ppv cuts...

If they wanted to max out their selling potential, the UFC needs to have a very strong Co-Main, as well as supporting card... but not that big of a fight...

Aldo-Edgar or a LW title fight would be fitting co-mains.
    I agree with everything you're saying, however the way Dana has postured the July event as their Super Bowl going forward, and the prospect of putting on a Stadium show might mean they'll look to stack the main card beyond recognition ala 100, where the top three fights were main events unto themselves.

Thread Information