Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP

I still don't understand why Silva won't fight Jones (besides the fact he wants to retire undefeated in the UFC so is only taking easy fights).

Silva looked much better against Bonner and Belfort than Jones did (although, Jones has improved a lot since Bonner fought him). Belfort/Henderson/Sonner are all willing to fight Jones and got destroyed by Silva.

In the past I said Jones would destroy Silva, but I am not so sure now after watching last nights fight. Yes, Bonnar is not top 10 LHW, but he is a good gatekeeper and Silva didn't even have to try in that fight, it looked like he was playing with his nephew.

After watching the fight last night, does anyone think GSP has a shot? I think training for Sonnen 2 has drastically improved Silva's take down defence. GSP gets KO'ed in the 1st round in that fight.

rob_bills Guest

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    I still don't understand why Silva won't fight Jones (besides the fact he wants to retire undefeated in the UFC so is only taking easy fights).
    Easy fights? How was fighting Sonnen twice what you would class as "easy fights"?

Everyone bitches about Silva this, Silva that. I'm pretty sure he will fight either JJ or GSP when push comes to shove.. I think he would beat both. Silva is dangerous every where. His main weakness is his ground game, which I wouldn't even call a weakness. Every fight starts standing.. and Jones favours greco roman.. which mean there will be a lot of clinch work and stand up. I see Silva catching him there.

The other thing that has been bothering me lately is this whole GSP is giving up so much size thing. I've been lucky enough to meet georges and he isn't as small as you'd think. I'm 6ft 5.5 and like 200lbs, he was still an intimidating dude haha.

Basically I think the weight and height GSP is giving up to fight Silva would be equivalent to what Silva is giving up fighting Jones. Georges is way broader than Silva, stockier. Jones is broader than Silva.. Heavier.

Now I know Silva has fought at LHW against middling opponents.. I'm sure GSP would look the same if he fought some mid tier MW's.

It's painfully annoying to read all this Silva is ducking such and such crap. It's clear that I'm a huge fan of Silva.. but I see him beating weidman, possibly Jones.. and who ever else you guys say he is "ducking".

Silva / Jones.

It almost has to happen. Lets not repeat what boxing is very good at...never putting the big fight out.
    "I think everybody up here is grateful to be on FOX. They'd probably say, 'FOX, thanks.' Everybody but me. I would say, 'FOX, you're welcome. You've been telling everybody for years you've got the American Idol, and now you finally do.'" Chael Sonnen

And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I think that in a sense this tarnishes Silva's legacy due to Soares. I doubt Dana actually talks to Silva about this as Silva more likely than not, deflects this questions towards his "manager" and Soares often makes contradictory statements as others have pointed out regarding "not fighting for money"/"Weidman won't make us enough money". I see, how money can be an analogue for "worth our time" but it's still confusing, nonetheless.

I think him fighting GSP proves nothing but fighting Jones proves EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    Bonner was trying to be aggressive... He thew in volume... Anderson landed the more meaningful strikes. The fight speaks for itself....

I agree that Anderson didnt do that much, but the fight was very uneventful(to begin with)... dont act as though Bonner was actually doing anything...

Agree...
    Yes, Jones would murder Anderson.... Anderson probably beats GSP down as well... point?

Is GSP also scared of Anderson?(he said he wasnt interested in that fight numerous times.)
    I said bonnar didn't do much, but he did more. It was an ugly fight, even the finish was akward. My point with saying Jones would smash Silva is that after last night a lot of people have been saying Anderson is P4p greatest and that he would walk threw Bones Blah, Blah, Blah, that is simply not true at all.

Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    Thank you two for seeing the bullshit. His performance last night was nothing special, it was a nice knee but up until that point he did jack shit. I'm sorry but standing against the cage bobbing and weaving isn't doing anything. But all I've read on here is how he's the GOAT and he'll smash Jones, let him fight whoever he wants. Anderson fought like that for defensive purposes, it also let him counter punch as Bonnar had to come to him. Bonnar was landing the better shots (though nothing really special) until he get hit with that knee at the end of the round. If we had watched 3 rounds of that and Silva finished the same but in the 3rd would I really have to read all of this Silva is a god BS.

Jones would smash Anderson. He is literally Anderson's worst nightmare. A bigger stronger, longer guy with some of the best wrestling and Gnp in the sport who also has good submissions and good kick boxing.
    You sound like a hater sir and you don't have to call him GOAT if you even believe in such a silly assed thing. But you will call him the most successful champion in UFC history because its undeniable. It's not an opinion its a fact as so stated by the UFC Pres.

Also for the record I got Jones losing due to his inexperience. Silva has beaten both Vitor and Bonnar now with ease damn near made it a textbook asswhoopin meanwhilie Jones struggled against those same two opponents.

You don't have any weight behind your argument that suggests Jones would smash a healthy Silva when noone has to date.
    Last edited by roaddawg; 10-14-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Id like to see both GSP/Silva and Jones/Silva happen... The UFC should be more open to super-fights... But in fairness Jones would probably have to move up and fight JDS as well... and then what? Have JDS fight Butterbean or Hong Man Choi?

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Fight of the night? You call that a fight ? Lol

That should be beatdown of the fucking night lol
    Yep. I cannot remember a beatdown that bad since Jones/Shogun...

It was painful to see Fabio eat all of those left hooks flush and all of that GNP... Lets hope the guy doesnt have lasting effects from that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by rodneykm View Post
    Silva / Jones.

It almost has to happen. Lets not repeat what boxing is very good at...never putting the big fight out.
    If Jones/Anderson has to happen, then GSP/Anderson has to happen, It has been a fight people wanted to see before Jones even came to the UFC...

Boxing was very hit and miss... We always remember the fights that didnt happen, but a lot of the fights did get made as well... Completely different story though...

Boxing has a lot more weight classes... Silva and Jones are in weight classes 20 pounds apart.... Something like that didnt happen in boxing...

You dont see people calling for Manny or Floyd to fight Andre ward...

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    I think that in a sense this tarnishes Silva's legacy due to Soares. I doubt Dana actually talks to Silva about this as Silva more likely than not, deflects this questions towards his "manager" and Soares often makes contradictory statements as others have pointed out regarding "not fighting for money"/"Weidman won't make us enough money". I see, how money can be an analogue for "worth our time" but it's still confusing, nonetheless.

I think him fighting GSP proves nothing but fighting Jones proves EVERYTHING.
    Then what does Jones fighting Anderson prove?(As Jones stated he didnt want to fight Anderson...)

And what does GSP not wanting to fight Anderson prove?

I understand that it is odd for Anderson to want to fight the smaller champion, but not the bigger one... Yet people think he should have to fight Jones, While GSP shouldn't have to fight Anderson....

Double standards...
    Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    I said bonnar didn't do much, but he did more. It was an ugly fight, even the finish was akward. My point with saying Jones would smash Silva is that after last night a lot of people have been saying Anderson is P4p greatest and that he would walk threw Bones Blah, Blah, Blah, that is simply not true at all.
    So Anderson losing to a champion that fights at a weight class 20 pounds heavier and with a big size advantage = He is not the P4P #1?

Does the same go for GSP should he not beat Anderson?
    Last edited by Kimbo> Rampage; 10-14-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post

So Anderson losing to a champion that fights at a weight class 20 pounds heavier and with a big size advantage = He is not the P4P #1?

Does the same go for GSP should he not beat Anderson?
    I actually have Aldo as p4p #1 right now, he doesn't have any glaring holes in his game, in fact he doesn't have any holes. Not to mention he doesn't hold a huge size advantage over his opponents either. I really wouldn't be surprised if he moved up to LW and held the belt there.

Indeed Jones vs Anderson is not happening.
    And I also think that GSP vs Anderson is not happening either.

Both Anderson and GSP have enough money to do anything they want for the rest of their lifes.
    Dana is not a fighter and obviously he does not understand that money is not everything in the world. Both Anderson and GSP care a lot about their legacy.
    Anderson knows that Jones is not Bonnar or Forrest Griffin. Jones is almost an Anderson Silva himself, but bigger and stronger.

GSP does not want any part of Anderson, because the size difference will be huge.

Fedor coming to UFC is more possible than Anderson vs Jones.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information