Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Despite champ's hesitation, White believes he'll convince Silva to fight Jones or GSP

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    I still don't understand why Silva won't fight Jones (besides the fact he wants to retire undefeated in the UFC so is only taking easy fights).

Silva looked much better against Bonner and Belfort than Jones did (although, Jones has improved a lot since Bonner fought him). Belfort/Henderson/Sonner are all willing to fight Jones and got destroyed by Silva.

In the past I said Jones would destroy Silva, but I am not so sure now after watching last nights fight. Yes, Bonnar is not top 10 LHW, but he is a good gatekeeper and Silva didn't even have to try in that fight, it looked like he was playing with his nephew.

After watching the fight last night, does anyone think GSP has a shot? I think training for Sonnen 2 has drastically improved Silva's take down defence. GSP gets KO'ed in the 1st round in that fight.
    I agree with you as well. Jones has kind of leveled out a bit. He didn't look that great against Rashad or Belfort while Silva has looked great lately, and he seems to beat common opponents more easily.

Don't think the fight would happen, and I think Silva, like everyone else, would have trouble with the reach. But, I think his wrestling has improved enough that he would be able to defend against the takedowns fairly well. I think the fight would be a lot more competitive then people are saying.

However, I'm not sure GSP would be competitive at all anymore. He's looked kind of flat in recent performances and has been unable to train due to injuries for a long time now. Meanwhile, Silva has improved drastically.

Zombie is born!

Dana White: Anderson Silva is better than Mike Tyson, just like Michael Jordan - MMAmania.com

"We saw something tonight that you might not fucking ever see again as long as you live. What that guy does -- like that spinning back kick where he steps to the side and then steps back -- and he just kind of laid in there, took some shots, let him hit him, he was moving his head and then playing with him. And then, the minute he said, 'I'm done,' it was done. It's just unbelievable -- nobody does that. Nobody. Nobody in this sport is able to do that. That's why when I get these guys sometimes who say, 'I don't know, Anderson Silva might not be the best ...' Are you out of your fucking mind? Nobody can do what this guy can fucking do. He's the greatest of all time. And I think he's the greatest in any combat sport. I'm a huge Mike Tyson fan, and in Tyson's heyday when he was executing people, and you were just wondering how long it was going to be before he knocked someone out -- he had that power and mean-ness that people were afraid of. Anderson Silva just does amazing things that nobody else can do.... I'm telling you right now: Watch every fight that he has, enjoy every moment that he's here because when he's gone you're going to fucking regret it. You're going to wish you watched more. It's like [Michael] Jordan -- even the games he played that didn't mean a lot -- he still did a lot of great shit. Anderson Silva is the guy who you want to watch when he's fighting because you're going to see some shit you've never seen before in your life."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

3. 10-15-2012, 05:46 AM

Thread Information